997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cargraphic x-pipe, non-collision review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM
wookimdc is on a distinguished road
Cargraphic x-pipe, non-collision review

I currently have a 2010 C2S ST and I love the car. However, I previously had a 997.1 base and I LOVED the car. The earlier model was unmodified but was loud, rough and just a beast. The later model was much more subdued and a little disappointing at first.

I do not really mod cars that I have as I thought that the factory knows best and did not want to affect re-ale value. However, I have been itching to do something with my current 997. I thought about maybe the plenum and or third muffler delete at most. For the x-pipe, Sharkwerks seems to be the most popular in these forums. However, I saw a used Cargraphic x-pipe non-collision for sale and so I grabbed the chance and picked it up for $650 CAN. Took it to a muffler shop yesterday and had it installed for $200 bucks. Pretty cheap way to try it.

The first thing I noticed with start up is that there is a more of a grumble. Not obnoxious, just a tad above normal. When driving it, I noticed that the engine revved more freely. The power dip at around 2800 rpm was a bit more smoothed out as well. The car sounds much different now. Not so much in quantity but quality. It is more throaty, more distinct pops like a machine gun. The car seemed to come alive more. I LOVE it now. I get more of that 997.1 feeling. Exactly what I was looking for.

The car is stock otherwise but I have a feeling that I will now HAVE to try the plenum upgrade. I think I started falling down a slippery slope...

I have not tried the Sharkwerks or FAB x-pipes and so cannot compare. I will take a video and upload it in the next day or two. I recommend this upgrade to anyone who wants a bit more of that raw 997.1 feeling from a 997.2.

Cheers

Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
You aren't alone in your observations!

The .1s are definitely a bit more raw than the .2s - but definitely not something that a few choice modifications can't remedy.

The Cargraphic stuff is excellent, we see it in the shop from time to time and always come away impressed.

I'd say one of my favorite mods on the .2s are definitely the IPD plenums. They seem to work really well on the DFI motors - the throttle response is much improved, and really opens up the top of the RPM range.

The great thing about the platform to be honest with you is that you don't need a whole slew of mods to make these cars really enjoyable - just a few specific ones. Slipper slope indeed, but it's not all that steep

Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM
I am thinking of doing the BMC air filter next and then the plenum. I have had a few days of driving with the Cargraphic x-pipe and I absolutely love it. The exhaust sound is increased around 30%, more than I expected. The quality of the sound is so good as well. Can not tell if there is more power but the engine definitely revs more freely. Very happy with this mod.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the Gundo hack to the stock mufflers. No extra power, but a terrific note. Next are x-pipe cats. Mine are Fabspeed, and they gave my car an instant kick in the pants. Sweet hp gains from midrange to redline, although there's a slight low end torque loss. The exhaust sound is deeper, with a lot of presence. I have no point of reference for the Cargraphics pipes, but I've heard their praises sung many times. I'm sure the major names are comparable. In any event, you have that covered.

After that, I'd say add the IPD plenum. That gets you back some of the low end torque loss, but really earns its keep with a solid increase in midrange response. Tie it all together with a tune, and you've got yourself a fun little car that sounds as it should.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Hey Miami, I went to a local muffler shop and he wanted $1000.00 for the Gundo Hack. He is in Toronto Canada. He said that it takes a lot of time to take off the mufflers and put it back and thus the high price. I wanted a bit more sound and saw a used Cargraphics x-pipe for sale on another forum. It only cost me $850 including installation so it was a cheap option. Now as you suggest, the IDP plenum is likely next.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
I'd find another muffler shop. I paid $300 to have it done. So have many others. I waited while mine were done, and it was a couple of hours.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I called around to about 5 shops in the Toronto area. The lowest I could find was $800 CAD.

If anyone in the GTA has got it done for cheaper, please let me know.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Just for the record on the claim of it taking a "lot of time" to take off and remount the mufflers: I've done it three times just using jacks and stands and noted roughly 2.5 hours each time... and that is without a proper lift and not being in a big hurry. I do understand the need to make a profit, but if it takes a pro with a lift more than an hour, two max, I'd be surprised.

Proper stainless welding is harder to find though and requires more skill so I understand charging a reasonable premium for that (I would only use real stainless welding techniques on our exhausts). Be sure to ask if their work is all stainless (pipes and welds).

Last edited by StormRune; 05-03-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM
I went to a local Midas shop with pictures on my phone of what I wanted. They did a quick internet search to get some larger close up pictures. It's just a matter of splicing one short length of 1.75-2" pipe onto each side. The time consuming part, ie a couple of hours, was for the R&R of the mufflers. I got a quote while the car was on a lift, and we were all looking at what needed to be done. On paper, if not in reality, it is very straightforward.

I've heard of people getting the whole job done for $200, but I was happy to pay $300. I'm very surprised that multiple shops quoted you $800. On the other hand, I think you got a great deal on the x-pipes.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road
"re-ale value" -- I'm on my third myself (ale, not Porsche). ;-)