997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Third Brake Light Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM
3POINT8 is on a distinguished road
Third Brake Light Install

Anyone know how to install the third brake light? center of car not on spoiler.

I search the DIY and the forum and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Jesse

Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
google is your friend .

hope this helps.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...d-brake-light/

Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 AM
thanks! you're a better friend then google could ever be!!!!!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
We have this DIY here as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-21-2015, 02:43 PM
thx!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
My pleasure!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-23-2015, 07:20 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=PelicanParts.com;4374426] We have this DIY here as well.

Thank you for the hint!

Old 09-25-2015, 11:02 AM
OK. I finally got around to this project and need more help. The Pelican deal was for a 996 and did not apply to the 997. The other link was helpful in that I removed the three 30 hex screws but couldn't get the metal piece with the light attached to it to remove. I could not find any other additional screws that I would need to remove. When I went to pry the light off a chunk broke (this was stupid on my part but I was getting desperate). Can someone hold my hand through this? I'm driving around with a busted taillight on an otherwise perfect 997 so I look like a complete idiot. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 AM
please help!!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I know a for-sure way to remove it. I'm not aware of any shortcuts. The quick answer is that you have to remove the panel it is installed in and access the releases for the light from the underside of the panel. Here's the long answer... I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

A while back I changed to a Turbo wing and an upper panel with no upper brake light in it (since the wing has its own). As part of the disassembly, my son and I took photos that should help you.

First you have to remove the back carpeted panel in the interior of the car. A trim removal tool helps but is not required as long as you can get something back behind the top of the panel to pull it out. Both the top and bottom pull straight out, but with the metal clips on the top you need to be sure to pull straight out or they will bend. I failed to pull straight out and lightly scratched my tint as well. Harbor Freight has trim removal tools for cheap if you have one in your area.

The panel to remove:

The removed panel and clips:

What you see after the panel is removed. Notice that you can now see in the photo the bottom of one of the two bolts that hold the panel on the car. Up in the recess there is a nut. Remove being sure to keep the nut in the socket so you don't drop it down into the recesses around the hole.

With the nuts removed, you can life the panel off on the outside after you remove the three externally visible Torx screws under the front edge of the deck lid. I put quality masking tape around the edges and surface of the panel to make sure I didn't scratch it or something else. The wire isn't very long, so be careful not to pull too far away. Be very careful with the panel so you don't scratch it or your car.

Looking inside the panel you will see the electrical connection. As with all Porsche connectors it seems like it is a challenge to release the clip but it can be done! You can see the release levers at the sides of the connector. Small fingers or a tool help. Don't pull on the wires too hard and pull them out of the connector, try to pull on the connector itself.

This last picture shows a white spring-loaded clip that needs to be pressed in to release the brake light. To its left you also see one of several black clips spread along the brake light that also need to be squeezed to snap the light out. Extra hands help here since all of the clips need to be released together (to some degree).

Last edited by StormRune; 09-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:22 PM
thedips is on a distinguished road
this is exactly what i was looking for future ducktail install with 3rd brake light delete / turbo panel install.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:13 PM
omg thanks sooooooo much! perfect

Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Glad to help guys! Let us know how your projects turn out.