997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stone chip & Langka

Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Stone chip & Langka

Has anyone had any experience with Langka Blob remover?

Apparently it wipes away touch up blobs pretty well using both a chemical reaction and friction. I'm giving it a go on my hood will post b4 and after.

Im thinking it'd be safer than wet sanding..

Old 09-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
I tried it a bunch of times.... never worked. Maybe I was a clod. I tried all different drying times including a few days. Can't hurt to try it as it didn't effect the regular paint... will hurt your wallet and your day.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
I've read a lot of forums where it seems to work. No porsche owners yet though.

I might buy some 2500 wet and dry just in case it doesnt work. Im doing just a few passes with the wet n dry if it doesnt work Im not persisting.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
I've used it and it works, but don't expect miracles. I recently used it on a bunch of chips on my 997.1TT using factory basalt black touch up.

I've found that it works best if you let the paint harden for a couple days. Then, I take a healthy amount of of the Langka and rub it over the blob with a soft cloth. When I say rub, I mean really rub it in there. You will see the touch up paint soften, especially around the edges. Back off on the pressure and start going lightly. At this point, you might want to follow their instructions of using a plastic card covered in a cloth, but I've just done it by hand.

In the end, most of the chips became level. It is a "5-foot" repair, which means if you look closely enough or at the right angle, you can still see the touchup as the sheen / metallic character is not identical to the factory paint. But, much better than chips.

Just be very careful if you are going to wetsand. One direction only, really confine the space you are sanding, use a block (or pencil eraser or something), and do your best not to go to far.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
I suspect clay bar would work too although I didn't have claybars back when I used it. Claybar is the same as wet sanding (clay is fine sand).

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Unless you have a very aggressive clay bar, I doubt it would help reduce a reasonably sized filled in chip. They are great for light overspray though!

OP -- just get comfortable knowing that that the chip repair will never come out perfect -- badge of honor after all

Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
I tried to use it on my Metallic Seal Gray 911. I think it would work ok on non-metallic paint, but it goes 'flat' on metallic paint, the flakes don't match the surrounding area. I had better luck with the factory touch up paint and also some luck with Dr. Colorchip. I use a 000 size artist's brush on the chips and clean the brush with thinner. If it's a small repair probably no one else will notice the repair unless you point it out.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Thanks, I have a lot of stone chips on the bonnett, most of them are no bigger than a grain of salt which is annoying.

i used a toothpick to fill them in, waiting for the Langka to arrive. I heard Langka removes touch blobs that are years old.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:05 AM
sullivas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by no1joey
Thanks, I have a lot of stone chips on the bonnett, most of them are no bigger than a grain of salt which is annoying.

i used a toothpick to fill them in, waiting for the Langka to arrive. I heard Langka removes touch blobs that are years old.

Dr. Colorchip has a process where you smear one area of chips at a time, let it dry then wipe off. For road rash. It doesn't completely fill the chip but drops enough color into the chips so they don't stand out. I think there's a video on Youtube or their website.
Or you could go chip by chip with your toothpick or brush. The Dr. Colorchip will shrink down after drying by about 2/3 IIRC.
Hope the Langka works for you since you already bought it.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Yeah, it sounds like for the OP's application DR color chip would have been a better/more efficient solution.

Oh well, hope the Langka works well for you...like I said, just remember that it will not end up perfect but should pass the 5-foot test (can you see it from 5 feet away).

Old 09-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by no1joey
Has anyone had any experience with Langka Blob remover?

Apparently it wipes away touch up blobs pretty well using both a chemical reaction and friction. I'm giving it a go on my hood will post b4 and after.

Im thinking it'd be safer than wet sanding..

I'll let you know as I have the langaka in hand to work on a fender scratch I created. Its a speed yellow car, so some of the issues with touchup paint wont apply (no metalic, special paint issues). I'm not looking for perfect, just for mostly smooth and filled in and a 2 ft solution. I'll take some before and after photos and post my results.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Turns out isopropyl alcohol works just fine. Was cleaning around a touch up and noticed it took some of the touch up off. Turns out a few quick hard passes over the touch up with some isopropyl alcohol flattens the touch up. Works pretty well too. The touch ups were done two days ago. The IA dulls the touch up but I am hoping a polish will bring the touch up back.

Blob

After flattening

From no more than 1 foot away.

Last edited by no1joey; 09-17-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM
So since the langka is still on the way I ended up rubbing down all the touch ups with isopropyl alcohol. Works fine, save your money on Langka.

The IA darkens the touch up but I am sure a polish will lighten it back up.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Tested my langaka - works on 2 day applied and 3 hr applied paint blobs.
However, the choice of card and more importantly the cloth type is likely the key to success. Picking a cloth that has less absorbancy may be important because my uses so far (2x) keeps pulling the paint back out of the chip/scratch. So today I'll use a harder straight edge than the card that came with it (but still plastic) and different material, and will try the alcohol approach as well.. and then use polish to get it down the last bit.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 PM
Polish won't remove the touch up. If the chip is small use your finger, wrap a microfiber towel around your index finger and spray it well with isopropyl alcohol. use a mf towel that is different colour to the touch up so you can easily see the paint coming off.

rub hard back and forth until you break the touch up and can see paint coming off, then continue to rub across and down the touch up, like a cross. This rubs the touch up down evenly.

You will see it shrink, keep rubbing until you are happy where it is, I usually kept rubbing it down until running your finger over it you can barely feel it.

Your paint will have a haze from the IA rubbing, use a polish to get that out.