997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Caliper rebuild

Just confirming if anyone who has rebuilt their calipers can help me out, caliper lube goes on the o ring that goes inside the piston bore but not on the dust boot right?

Brake pad grease, or ceramic brake lubricant goes on the locking bit of the shims that sits in the caliper pistons?

I think before someone was saying it goes in between the shim and brake pad, but that doesn't make sense as the shim is adhesive. So it has to go on the other side of the shim, where it makes contact with the caliper pistons right?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by no1joey
Just confirming if anyone who has rebuilt their calipers can help me out, caliper lube goes on the o ring that goes inside the piston bore but not on the dust boot right?

Brake pad grease, or ceramic brake lubricant goes on the locking bit of the shims that sits in the caliper pistons?

I think before someone was saying it goes in between the shim and brake pad, but that doesn't make sense as the shim is adhesive. So it has to go on the other side of the shim, where it makes contact with the caliper pistons right?
Regarding greasing the O rings only, that was my understanding and how I did mine. I don't use grease anywhere else. It makes a mess and I've never had any issues installing all the hardware dry. Note I'm in Ca with no road salt etc

Old 11-18-2015, 04:19 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
So my calipers are completely disassembled, need advice on cleaning.

Is it ok to get brake cleaner inside the caliper or does it need to be completely water tight? What should I use to plug it all up? Some people say to leave it soaking over night, I can't see anything that would last over night in brake cleaner as a plug such as tape etc. I don't think I have the time to source perfectly fitting rubber plugs for every different sized hole either... need help please!!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Bump anyone?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by no1joey
Bump anyone?
Well, again how I did mine was brake cleaner everywhere then leave it overnight to evaporate. You can blow air through to make sure there is no residual. Pelican has a good write-up on the process

Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by jayzbird
Well, again how I did mine was brake cleaner everywhere then leave it overnight to evaporate. You can blow air through to make sure there is no residual. Pelican has a good write-up on the process

Thanks. I was just wondering if there is other methods. My air compressor is one of those cheap $50 ebay ones 150psi I think. I wonder if that would be strong enough.

Also is it better to leave brake fluid to evaporate or rinse with water afterwards.. i was thinking i could then put them in the oven on a low setting and evaporate the water that way...

Old 11-19-2015, 03:58 AM
pderover is on a distinguished road
Hi, I rebuilt my calipers from scratch after I had them powder coated black 5yrs ago. AFAIK I may have coated the rings with brake fluid, but that may be it. Check to see if pelican has anything on rebuilding calipers. You can also call Brembo for advice, their US office is in Cali.
I learned the hard way that a brake rebuild kit doesn't come with 'piston seals'.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:42 AM
This place make caliper rebuild kits for our brakes including piston pressure seals - http://www.centricparts.com/

BTW my air compressor did nothing to get the water out of the caliper so I stuck them in the oven for a little bit to evaporate the water inside. Any lint should come out when I bleed the brakes.

Last edited by no1joey; 11-19-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:02 AM
Going back on speed yellow!