Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Starting Up after sitting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 PM
seastu is on a distinguished road
Starting Up after sitting

Manual seems a bit vague regarding when to use start-up procedure for building oil pressure. Certainly after a couple of months, but was wondering if this would be beneficial to the engine when sitting for a a couple of weeks. I guess the downside is wear and tear on the starter..... a bit cheaper than an engine

Last edited by seastu; 11-16-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:40 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Search and ye shall find...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-ovefill.html

On my pre-Bosch Vantages I used the ignition inhibit feature all the time, if the car had been sitting for a week or more. Why not? Even if you are using the car as a DD (and it sounds like you're not), are you really worried about the starter motor?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:50 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor,hold it there and then crank the engine. This keeps the engine from starting so you can restablish oil pressure. When the oil light goes out (about 5-seconds or so) stop cranking. Take your foot off the gas and start as normal.

Last edited by dicktahoe; 11-16-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:04 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
It's pretty simple- and I do when my sits for more than a week. While in park. Peddle to the floor, press start - turn over until oil light goes OUT. Appox 30 second. Release start button, foot off gas. Start as normal. After any prolong time its a good idea to check fluids and tire pressure. The key is to keep your Aston on the road!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Since I discovered you could do this, I do it if the car hasn't been started for about four hours. So most starts

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 PM
So I assume no need to be concerned about premature wear of the starter motor.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:58 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Does this procedure apply to early DB9's as well? I've never had the nerve to try it.. :/

Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Will this work with my 2014 Vantage with glass key?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Yes, I use the glass key.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:55 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Does this procedure apply to early DB9's as well? I've never had the nerve to try it.. :/
Mine is a 2007 DB 9. The first time I was a nervous about cranking it. The fully depressed peddle will not allow it to start. Make sure you keep it there once you begin the process. Now that I know what to expect, I'm good. I believe the DB 9 take a little longer that the V8V. I'm at about 30 seconds.....yea it seems like minutes when you do it the first couple of times.
I have heard some let their foot off the peddle and allow the car to start without disengaging the start button.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:58 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by larryg
Will this work with my 2014 Vantage with glass key?
Check your manual -- this only works for cars that have the Ford ecu.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
Mine is a 2007 DB 9. The first time I was a nervous about cranking it. The fully depressed peddle will not allow it to start. Make sure you keep it there once you begin the process. Now that I know what to expect, I'm good. I believe the DB 9 take a little longer that the V8V. I'm at about 30 seconds.....yea it seems like minutes when you do it the first couple of times.
I have heard some let their foot off the peddle and allow the car to start without disengaging the start button.
Thanks for the info.. And you keep turning it over until the oil light goes off? My car is a manual transmission.. I wonder if that matters because I would have to be depressing the clutch all the way down as well as the gas pedal to get the car to crank.. ?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Yes it does: I do it on my '05 DB9 typically after a week of no use. Just make sure you keep the throttle pedal down. Takes around 10 - 15 seconds on my car (feels like an eternity..)

Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the info.. And you keep turning it over until the oil light goes off? My car is a manual transmission.. I wonder if that matters because I would have to be depressing the clutch all the way down as well as the gas pedal to get the car to crank.. ?
Yup, it works for manual, I know 'cause that's what I have. Keep clutch and throttle fully depressed and just crank until oil light goes out.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:22 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Does my 2014 have the Ford ecu?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting Up after sitting