997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Charging the battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MYC2SPC
Gpjli...That was my point. Occasional charge if necessary is part of normal maintainance.

Sorry, my response was directed to porschelady post?
I was just reinforcing what you said. No problems

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryem3
Thanks for the responses. Over more than 20 years I've never charged a battery other than by the car's own alternator. Now that the dealer has charged it, I'll be very curious to see how long this 5 year old battery will last. They claimed it only needed to be charged and not replaced, although it's pretty clear the CPO warranty will cover it.
Do you know for sure that battery is covered??? This just kind of slipped by.

If not I hope your battery lasts until you can get to Sears

Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Well, the battery WOULD be covered if you drive at least 6k miles per year. I'm actually close, but no battery.
Sure as s**t, one week later the battery is dead. All this bs about charging. So I'm stuck calling roadside assistance to jump it and go BACK to the dealer for a f'n battery. And not covered by the warranty. They treated me fairly and installed an interstate battery! Apparently even the dealer conceded Porsche batteries are crap. Not sure how they are priced in the street, but they charged me $200 for the battery and $140 to install it. Given that I could have needed them to clear codes anyway, it seemed OK. First repair cost I've incurred in 2 years.
For the thread, charging a battery back to life is bs. And my battery was only 3 years old. And the dealer doesn't even recommend the OEM replacement.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 AM
"charging battery back to life is bs" Oh well, funny and sad. Better luck w next battery. If you drive that infrequently get a ctek charger and connect via the cigarette lighter (when car is not being used) because driving alone will not keep charge up and battery will die prematurely. That's why they won't cover it. Probably says that somewhere. Sorry for all the "misinformation" you received. Pretty good if this is only expense so far though. Btw, they used good battery but installation fee is a bit much.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I drive my car several days a week, plenty to keep a battery alive. In fact lasted 2 years, but this battery was simply toast. I have a Porsche trickle charger. I use it if I'm gone more than a week. Once a battery is totally drained, I've not seen when come back to life and this one was no exception. I drive 5k miles last year, which is high mileage for many of these cars!
The installation cost was a bit much, but one should also consider that you can't clear the codes of a replacement with a durametric, so you'll end up going to the dealer for an hour of labor anyway.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I drive my car several days a week, plenty to keep a battery alive. In fact lasted 2 years, but this battery was simply toast. I have a Porsche trickle charger. I use it if I'm gone more than a week. Once a battery is totally drained, I've not seen when come back to life and this one was no exception. I drive 5k miles last year, which is high mileage for many of these cars!
The installation cost was a bit much, but one should also consider that you can't clear the codes of a replacement with a durametric, so you'll end up going to the dealer for an hour of labor anyway.
Best bet is to go to Sears or the equivalent. Any one replacing a battery will plug a memory stick into system which preserves your settings. No need to deal w codes, etc. Under the same conditions you described my Allstate replacement for oem lasted 5 years, maybe 25K miles before it expired.

Glad you got you issue resolved. Likewise glad my wifes battery has been strong since she ran it down and I recharged it. Should go thru the summer. Take care.