997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I am a new 997.1 Owner and want more power

Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 PM
bmwhustler is on a distinguished road
I am a new 997.1 Owner and want more power

Ok So here is the car 2007 C2S , I have a Evo intake and I got that exhaust where they add the pipe to the stock exhaust , will a tune help this car get any more power ? Also the car has 76,000 miles on , It had the big 60K service about 1 1/2 years ago when it had 67,000 miles ( it was not driven very much after ) I got it with 69,000 so what service should I do now ? Last how do I know if this IMS is failing ? I have tracked the car 1 time and loved it and want to track it again . Any advise would be great ,

Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
If you're feeling the car is under powered for you, maybe you bought the wrong car. Seems to me your options are: sell it and buy something more suited to your power requirements, spend lots of money for modest power gains, or learn to be happy and drive the snot out of it on the track. Although the 911 has decent power, it's typically regarded as more of a momentum car. If you want faster lap times, spend money on instruction and seat time, followed by brake & suspension upgrades. I have a 06 S and track it about 10 days a year. I drive with other more power cars but do a decent job of catching them in the corners. It feels good to make the guy in the car with more power give you the point by.

As far as the IMS. If you see oil seepage or hear something that sounds like a spray paint can being shaken... It's about to go. Given that you have a 07... just enjoy and don't wory about it too much. Send an oil sample to Blackstone a few times a year to keep tabs on the internals.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 PM
mpath will become famous soon enough
Shoulda bought the twin turbo.

Don't believe the horsepower claims for the usual bolt on mods for these cars. Porsche did a really good job with these NA engines, and signifcant hp gains are either via a GT3 or twin turbo.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:37 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I agree with the above, the only option you have is to supercharge or turbo charge the car, other than that you will not feel that much (if any) power increases. You might also try turning off the traction controls, the car takes a bit more skill to drive that way, but also more fun.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
It's very expensive to add a minor amount of power to the 997.1 C2S. The best you can do without going to forced induction is to mimic the OEM X51 power kit - larger airbox, throttle body, intake plenum, exhaust headers and a tune. I'd also add high flow cats to the list. The tune should be the last piece - it really needs the other airflow pieces to work properly. At best you are looking at maybe +25hp and a dent of $5K to $10K to your wallet, more if you buy new parts.

Second best is going with the X51 kit itself. Suncoast sells the parts for $13,400 and then you still need to pay for the install. This adds +21hp.

To go higher you are looking at forced induction - turbos or superchargers. The 997 NA engine is not the most robust engine for boosting. But some have done it. Superchargers are in the $10K range for parts, less used, plus install. Reserach VF-Engineering. Power approaches +100hp. TPC turbos are a bit less, maybe $7K plus install.

Since the price to add power is so high staying NA, and the increased risk of engine failure while boosting on a engine know to bore score and d-chunk, the best answer to "how can I add power to a NA 997" is "sell the car and use the money you would towards power adders and buy a turbo instead." The turbo platform is rock solid and you will get a far better return on your investment. If a 997 turbo is out of your reach look at the 996 turbos instead.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:31 AM
pderover is on a distinguished road
I agree with the above statements, the ROI isn't worth it on a NA car.
But....if you really want to tune your car, here are some things I've done:
- LWFW (one of the best upgrades imo)
- Coilovers and semi solid mounts (you can take corners much faster and with confidence, the car feels more planted) I had lowering springs, but they sucked imo and it ruined the cars handling.
- CAI (not much gain, but will make your car louder)
- Chip flash (gains are small and short lived)

I have PSE exhaust w/ x51 header (can't comment on the gains, but the sound is great especially with CAI)

I haven't done ipd, 200 cell cat or GT3 Tb, yet. Still debating whether I should spend $3300 on 10hp or leave it in my piggy bank. Most people swear by it, but there's little documentation on gains other than everyone's butt dyno.

I haven't done all the suspension upgrades (bones, camber plate, control arms etc) because it will diminish the already rough ride quality. You'll get a lot from the coilovers and engine mounts and will need the above components if you get serious about tracking.

Hope this helps:-)

Old 04-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of mods worth doing depending upon what you want to accomplish.

Want awesome cornering and better driver/car response? Go for suspension/handling improvements giving up ride comfort (alignment, LCA's, coilovers, sway bars, replacing rubber bits with monoballs/solid/semi-solid, DSC box, etc.). Stock settings are a fairly mild suspension. Move more towards a GT3 like setup. But it does make daily driving less desirable. Commuting daily in a car that feels every minor road defect gets old fast.

Want better sound from your engine with some minor HP improvements if any? Open up the exhaust with headers and high flow cats. Gundo/FisterD mufflers or aftermarket for sound mostly. Look into disabling the Helholtz resonator on the airbox along with a CAI tube too. All together sounds great. Or go with PSE if you don't have it already. Or disable your PSE switch so it's "always on".

Braking changes? Lower dusting ceramic pads for the street. Track pads from Pagid or PFC for the track. Upsize to 6-piston front calipers from a GT3 or turbo transplant along with larger diameter rotors. Or two piece rotors to reduce unsprung weight. If money is no object ceramic rotors with the proper calipers are top of the line (personally I wouldn't add this, but if your car came with it already installed you rock!).

Looks? Wheels are common thing to swap. Try the marketplace first. Aero kits, upgrading to 997.2 front/rear, LED tail lights or fog lights, clear corners, etc. Customizing your pcar to be your own is a ton of fun. Keeping it stock works too. You can't go wrong with paint correction and clear bra, or window tint. Start trading out worn interior pieces, or upgrade to leather/carbon/painted. Endless choices here.

Comfort? Budget speaker upgrade, Bluetooth add on for music streaming or phone calls. Add satellite radio, or even an aftermarket radio head unit replacement.

But power adders are the one area for the 997 that just don't pay off the way other cars do. You will find pieces that claim +Xhp everywhere. The issue is you cannot add vendor A's +Xhp and vendor B's +Yhp and expect X+Y total hp. The engine is tuned very well in its stock form from the factory. There is just not a lot of hp left to claim. Power adders give diminishing returns topping out around +25hp best case, for a ton of money to get there. There's a reason the Porsche OEM X51 kit is expensive and only adds +21hp. Do you really think other vendors can double or triple that number without boosting? For significantly less?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
The shop (primary Porsche) that services mine tells me a really good gain can be made from "ipd, 200 cell cat or GT3 Tb", plus tune. But that's a big expense for ~20-25 HP.

Last edited by gonz996; 04-24-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:22 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gonz996
But that's a big expense for ~20-25 HP.
agree, get a turbo kit or supercharger if you want more power. Everything else is a waste of $$ for minimum gain. IMO

Old 04-24-2016, 01:27 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Sell it, buy a Turbo. I wish my C2S has more power too...but really! Had opportunity kept car above 100 mph for good 5 minutes (glad it has an automatic), that 5 minutes was breath taking...do I need more power?

I too want a Turbo, but knowing me she will be mod out, 600 hp on the street is too f* crazy for my old ***. I like the way my C2S turn out will keep it for a while.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM
bmwhustler is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply ( I have a few more questions)

I have the Air Box covered I guess I found a Evo 2 Box , and the exhaust I did the Fister thing , So now whats first the throttle body ( what size ? Can I get one from a GT3 or newer model and get the same results and what is the least expensive way to do this and is it easy to install is it just a bolt on item . Next intake plenum , is this easy to do also what is the least expensive way of doing this , then exhaust headers I found a set of New Remus on Ebay for $600 brand new list is $1375 but I understand they are not easy to put on is that true ? Last a tune what is the best and cheapest what are the pros and cons , I'd also add high flow cats but they seem to be very expensive if I remove the cats and put a straight pipe will that help of do I need some kind of back pressure ? I want to add a harness bar anybody make a harness bar for these cars ?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Banned
I'd go with 200 cell high flow cats first from someone like AWE. You should be able to find them in the marketplace for about $1K or so. The sound is awesome and you will feel the power.

Next I'd do headers and a tune. Headers are easy to install, no harder than doing the spark plugs on these cars. If you installed your Fister cans than you could easily do the headers too. EVOSit, Softronic, VRTuned and others for the tune (about another $1k). Then you would have a higher flowing airbox on the intake side, headers and high flow cats on the exhaust side. The muffler mods are sound only so no power improvements. Be sure to let them know your preferred octane and mods when selecting the tune. Oh, and where you live is important too. CA emissions can be a beast to conquer with the wrong cats/tune combo.

The stock TB is 74mm. A matching plenum from IPD can be found for about $500 used, more new. Upsizing to GT3 or the X51 version is 82mm. Unfortunately you will need the larger IPD plenum or intake manifolds from a X51 at the same time otherwise they don't mate up properly. Research the competition plenum and TB combo from IPD, roughly $1K if you shop around. Either commit to the larger TB or not, but if you change your mind you are buying the plenum twice. The added power at this point is marginal. Either way cats before TB/plenum.

Not sure what you mean by harness bar. Strut brace perhaps? Rennline makes them but the effect is minor at best. The fronts of our cars already have stiff bracing between the strut towers. The rears do see a minor improvement but it's debatable. Most say they can't feel the difference. But a lot of those saying that also have roll cages which do the same thing. You'd get a better effect with stiffer sway bars (GT3, TPC racing, H&R, and so on). But now your are talking suspension mods which is a completely different slippery slope.

Last edited by semicycler; 04-24-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 AM
R33_ will become famous soon enough
Here are what I have done just to make the car more fun than stock.

- Gundo hack for street use / Muffler delete for track
- Braided Brake line
- Pagid Pads for track / Hawk HPS for street
- Motul 6000 brake fluid
- VRTuned
- K&N drop-in
- Airbox hack
- Toyo R888 for track

What everybody said is true, if you want more power, it is cheaper to get the Turbo.
So much money to spend to get little gain.
Next mod in my list is coilover and some other suspension components.
High hp without traction and handling doesn't mean anything.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I've done just about every power mod there is over the years to my 997S. I really enjoy the AWE 200 cell sport cats, and do believe that those, paired with a tune and a cold air intake do add some power. I also like the freer reving of the lightweight flywheel, but those all add up to a lot of money for not a lot of power. The VF-E Supercharger was amazing. I was running a smaller pulley and was at around 530hp. I bought the kit used for $6,500 and installed it myself.

IMHO if you really think you want more power, forced induction is the only meaningful modification. But it can be risky in that you do put a lot of stress on an engine not designed to be boosted, even at a conservative 6psi.
CATTMAN

Old 04-27-2016, 08:37 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
The car has plenty of power as it is. You just need to learn how to drive it correctly.

(I know I am going to be burnt at the stake for daring to say this.....)

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 04-27-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am a new 997.1 Owner and want more power