997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has Your Porsche Affected Your Working Life/Job In Anyway?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Has Your Porsche Affected Your Working Life/Job In Anyway?

As title.

I have found the car amazing - the steering and just the overall behavior of the still impresses me. I do have a BMW which is my daily driver but somehow I tend to drive the Porsche almost everyday to the point my daily driver is barely getting used.

So I'm training to become a teacher, still a student so I had a placement at a school.

I drive it pretty quietly on my way to school say from 1-2k revs.

One of the senior teachers really has a problem with this. She has taken me into meetings and said my car is too loud but I argued saying there are large vehicles, trucks in the road which are louder.

She made up a story saying I was revving the car in the car park, which is nonsense I would never rev my car on a cold engine.

She also said I shouldn't be bringing expensive cars into school.

I understand that most teachers don't drive cars like this but mine is quite old 2007 base Carrera, most teachers car's are worth more than mine as they are purchased new.

I'm not on a large salary but I contribute to my father's business and he pays me and I don't have debts and thats the only reason I'm driving this car.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
She's jealous. Become her boss and fire her. That's what I did to one of my bosses anyways. Let him work for me for about three months first while I secretly found his replacement. Legally, I don't see how she has a leg to stand on even if you were revving it. I used to not mention it to clients for fear of thinking I was charging them too much but I let that go a few years ago. I don't mention it unless it comes up but most of them are intrigued about the track and I've gotten a few to join me in their BMW's.

Just do what you do and don't worry about the opinions of those that don't matter. Instead of being inspired by success, most are resentful and thus, will never achieve anything more than a Toyota lifestyle of mediocrity..

Old 12-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
When I am visiting or meeting with customers, I leave the Porsche at home. I drive my GMC truck in those situations.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
i drove my 911 once to a business meeting and the customer asked me about it right away. i think it gives the wrong impression when i'm trying to make sales to blue collar businesses, so now i drive my vw cc.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I drive mine to work from time to time and everyone thinks it is my boss' car because he is 20 years younger than I am. Funny, because his dream car is a Honda Odyssey!

Old 12-18-2016, 02:49 AM
CM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud ofCM_699 has much to be proud of
For me, it's had an effect in a ton of ways.

Driving it to work every day made going to work awesome.

Then I'd roll up stoked, and that's never a bad way to start the day.

At first some people were like, "check out mister big pants over there..." but then within a few months, other 997's started popping up in the parking lot. Then a few 991's, and a turbo or two. Next Maseratis, and R8's, and then Ducatis, Aston Martin, and a bunch of other cool whips.

Finally, one day this kid started rolling up with his full blown drift car. Hahaha!! big wing on the back, it was awesome.

So, I can say the car has actually really improved my overall sense of well being, and could possibly be partly responsible for inspiring others in my world to drive their cars, or get better ones and drive those.

The Porsche is pretty Win/Win in a lot of ways.

Also, meeting all the people who make up the community has really got me rethinking what I want to do for a living. I didn't give a hoot n' doody about the Porsche community as a facet of my life before I had set my own butt in a seat with a tach in the middle and a key on the left.

Doing something with Porsche every day, and working with people who love them too, is something I had never even considered, much less imagined could be an awesome gig, before owning one.

So there's that.

Also it has bled into the lives of my friends and family -

Example: I've got Katee and Maggie. They're 2 of my dogs. Both about 60-65 lbs.

They could never go with me in the BMW (M-Roadster), no back seat!

But now I get dog slobber on the fenders and fur everywhere it can get. The top is always down and they now hold their heads up high when we idle through the No Wake Zone of my neighborhood. When they hear the harnesses for their seat belts come out of the basket, they go bananas and run to the garage!

When we get to the freeway (if the oil's warm enough), when I add more throttle, they know to tuck in for the sweeper down the ramp - haha!

The Porsche had definitely had an effect on my life.

Sierra says Maggie waits by the door and listens for the rumble of my car at the end of each day, and gets excited when she hears (feels) it coming down the block... guess it gets under your skin, but in a good way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo341.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	466223   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo917.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1,016.5 KB
ID:	466224   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo49.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	466225   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo549.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	466226  

Last edited by CM_699; 12-18-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
I get to work faster....

Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Those are some very happy looking pooches.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:18 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by REKX
As title.
One of the senior teachers really has a problem with this. She has taken me into meetings and said my car is too loud but I argued saying there are large vehicles, trucks in the road which are louder.

She made up a story saying I was revving the car in the car park, which is nonsense I would never rev my car on a cold engine.

She also said I shouldn't be bringing expensive cars into school.
Just sounds like one of those sour old people that you'll have to get used to dealing with in life.

Not much you can do, sorry you have to deal with that "see you next tuesday".

Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
If you really want to shut her up, just tell her how much it's worth and she can have one to if she really wanted it. But a sour grape like her will not listen or understand. People like this will never succeed in life so I would just let her be miserable all her life. I hope you are going into teaching because you enjoy it, there is not much money in that field. Something you are doing until you take over your father's business?

As for me, I just drive my cars to work everyday. Everyone here knows I own my own business and doing engineering work because I enjoy it.

Last edited by Ynot; 12-20-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Berosucci will become famous soon enoughBerosucci will become famous soon enough
Sort of work related...

1) I often think to myself that the fellow commuter(s) with the downtrodden face(s) I see every morning should buy a Porsche. It will help them smile more.

2) I have stopped wondering why people say "I will never be able to afford that (in reference to a 911). These are the same people that complain about money all of the time. I know what they make since the company has posted salary grades and they are in a similar position to me. I can't claim to know their personal situation, nor will I try, but if i can do it with a wife and kids, as a single bread winner, so can they. I have not heard any negatives, every thinks the car is beautiful. Not sure what they say when I am not around - and I don't care...

3) I have developed a couple of unexpected friendships with a couple of co-workers that enjoy cars as well.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:38 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Disregard the old bat, she probably got dumped by her husband after he went all middle-aged-crazy and bought his own Porsche.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Thank her for her suggestions and continue to drive respectfully and quietly coming and going from work. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something - she may be in that group.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:41 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Its nice being retired...

Old 12-23-2016, 07:20 PM
TCZ
TCZ is on a distinguished road
I am a high school Principal. The students love the car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.