997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Starting Issue - Engine Won't Turn - Electrical Issue? Input Greatly Appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Starting Issue - Engine Won't Turn - Electrical Issue? Input Greatly Appreciated

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the issue below? I managed to roll start my car today given the engine would not turn over.

Fortunately, given it's a 6 manual transmission I was on an incline and managed to start it "old school" way. Issues:

1. 2 months ago I had the starter cable replaced given it's slow start at times - replacement made a big difference with no drag on start, although later (below) I started to sense perhaps a little - not sure

2. a few weeks ago the ignition switch felt loose and eventually pushed through the dash. I removed the cap, and pushed it back a semi-secured it - there was a slight starting issue and now not sure about it - I was more freaked out about the ignition switch falling through - yikes

3. Yesterday after I stopped to fuel the car, the engine would not turn, or rather the starter didn't engage - I then heard the clicking noises of when your battery is dead - another attempt and she cranked right up

4. I pulled into my garage, waited and an hour later went back to the car to start and no problem

5. I got in the car this morning a little after 7:00 AM and the digital time read 11:36 - eh, this isn't cool

6. I turned on the radio and the last station it was on was void - all I could hear was static

7. I went to an Autozone to have the battery tested and it was solid at 89%. Thinking all was cool, I got into the car, turned the ignition on and nothing other than both windows intermittently rolling down, flashers on, failures galore.

8. I called AAA for a flatbed then it occurred to me there's power, just won't crank, and I'm on an incline. I placed the ignition "on" and in reverse gear, let her roll, and she fired up - radio also worked, windows, etc.

9. I took her to the Porsche dealer and they tested the battery - they thought the fellas at Autozone we're as skilled but they were wrong - battery okay. By the way, the cost of a Porsche battery at the dealer - $500! No, I didn't buy one - besides not needed.

10. I left her there today for diagnostics and I'm praying nothing is fried. I'd like to think it's the ignition switch.

Anyone have a sense of what this is?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Boy all those random problems sure sound like battery. Maybe check the main ground strap from the battery to the chassis to see if it's loose or there's corrosion internal to the strap or at the attachment point.
If it's not that, then probably ignition switch, but I don't hear about a lot of failures of these, whereas it's a more common issue in something like the 928.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:22 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
The battery checked out as good. I think it's the ignition switch but they couldn't spend much time on it yesterday. I hope to hear back today.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I had something very similar. The car started just fine leaving work, traveled 3-5 miles to gas station, filled up and click, click, click. Clock reset, key would not release, totally dead. Top and windows still worked so battery fine. Dealer found short in starter and it had also fried some junction box. Total was expensive, greater than $2k if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Monster231 is on a distinguished road
I had the same exact issue the day I got my car. I bought my car out-of-state And had an extensive PPI done before it was shipped. The shop said they started the car couple dozen times in the three days they had it, with no problems.

I Bought and returned three batteries thinking that was the issue. Tested alternator and all the cables, Found no issues. I beat up the dealer to install a new starter, still would not start unless I pushed it.

The next day I took it my local Porsche Indy, Who took out the auto zone starter and installed a Porsche starter. Problem fixed!

Old 05-12-2017, 11:24 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Check the alternator cable. These are known to be faulty and when they get hot the resistance increases so there isn't enough juice to turn the car over.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gonz996
The battery checked out as good. I think it's the ignition switch but they couldn't spend much time on it yesterday. I hope to hear back today.
How about a report - hope it hasn't been at the dealer for 2 weeks.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:54 PM
The issue was the positive cable connection at the power distributer that had some rust on it and corroded.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.