997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Half Aero, Full Aero or GT3 Full Aero Mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Half Aero, Full Aero or GT3 Full Aero Mod?

I've been away from this forum for three years - it's nice to know some of the old timers are still around. I joined back in 2010 when I picked up a 2005 Launch Edition C2S that now has around 85K miles:

Pics here: https://pix.sfly.com/qdyv5E

I have pancreatic cancer and my plans to acquire a 993 or a 997.1/.2 GT3 have changed. I plan to pass the car to my son for when he is able to drive, BUT he prefers a more non conservative look to include racing stripes, decals and the color green. All that doesn't surprise me one bit . He's not going to win on the color green (at least for this car), but he just may get the rest (read on).

Recently, a lady in an SUV backed up into the car at a stop light and the front bumper will need to be replaced. Her insurance accepted FULL responsibility and so I was thinking of installing the OEM aero front bumper only or the full kit (front bumper + rear wing). The rear wing can always be swapped for the stock rear lid at a later date. Another option is to install the full rear GT3 bumper and mod the tailpipes for center exit, but that is a more complex project and I have seen it done. My original plan was to purchase a 997.1/.2 GT3 but given my diagnosis, I have a slight change of plans. What do all ya all think?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:05 PM
SWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. And I think passing on the launch edition (I have one too) to your son is a wonderful thing. I wish all sons were as fortunate and I hope he appreciates it.

As for mods, I myself would go full aero kit. I think doing only front leaves the car unbalanced from an aesthetics standpoint and possibly aerodynamically as well. I think there are many opinions on this but that's my thought.

Good luck to you and the family.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:12 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool plan. I agree that the aerokit front is the way to go but that you'll also need to do something at the rear - either the aerokit wing, or maybe a ducktail if your son likes the more retro style. There's a new product out called a Flying Ducktail that's pretty cool in that it mounts to the OEM spoiler wing and raises with it. That with a GT3 or GT3-style (like from GT3-Tek) rear bumper and center exit exhaust would be really cool. Most of the aftermarket exhaust companies make parts for a center exit conversion - my Fabspeed setup has been great and various ones turn up used in The Marketplace from time to time.

Also, paint the new parts to match the car, which I assume as a launch edition is black, but if he wants green, after the new paint cures, have it vinyl wrapped in a green color he likes. This will protect the original and new paint and give him his dream car at the same time. The PCCBs on the launch edition cars are almost impossible to find used in good condition, and as you know, they're awesome - no dust and last forever. The adaptive seats are awesome too.

Good luck with your fight and with the car conversion. That car will be a great legacy for you to pass down.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I would suggest the full GT3 kit, but NOT center exhaust- You can buy a GT3 style rear bumper from Misha with dual exhaust openings to fit your car- I bought the center exhaust one first and the exhaust sounded terrible- went back to the regular dual exhaust with Fister D exhaust and sounds like a 911 again-

Also you can get side skirts from GT3TEK that company sells them for around $500 a great add on to the GT3 look...Good luck with everything

Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
I would definitely do the GT3 wing if you're going to be doing the front bumper. On my previous 997.2 C4 (in my avatar), I got an aftermarket GT3 replica wing from Precision Porsche and was really happy with the result.

I would have loved to do the front and rear bumper as well, but I didn't have the spare funds at that time to tackle such a project. I did also look at the full "standard" Porsche Aero kit - but if I recall correctly, it was $5000 just for the parts, not including painting and prep work by the body shop for the install. Ultimately, I decided that the GT3 wing was much more appealing to me, and I went that route. If I did it all again right now, I would do the full kit - front and rear bumpers, and decklid wing.

I am sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. Giving your 997 to your son is a wonderful idea for a gift. Best wishes.

Last edited by Scoper; 04-29-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
but if he wants green, after the new paint cures, have it vinyl wrapped in a green color he likes. This will protect the original and new paint and give him his dream car at the same time. The PCCBs on the launch edition cars are almost impossible to find used in good condition, and as you know, they're awesome - no dust and last forever. The adaptive seats are awesome too.

Good luck with your fight and with the car conversion. That car will be a great legacy for you to pass down.
Petza914, good call on the wrap. This will be a father son bonding project and if necessary, the wrap and mods can be removed.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tarek307
I would suggest the full GT3 kit, but NOT center exhaust- You can buy a GT3 style rear bumper from Misha with dual exhaust openings to fit your car- I bought the center exhaust one first and the exhaust sounded terrible- went back to the regular dual exhaust with Fister D exhaust and sounds like a 911 again-

Also you can get side skirts from GT3TEK that company sells them for around $500 a great add on to the GT3 look...Good luck with everything
I'm running D Fister exhausts (with the 1.75" diameter stainless tube) on a stock exhaust. Did you have the Fisters on the factory exhaust system prior to the center exhaust mod? What was the difference in sound? What was your center exhaust set up?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sharkys
I'm running D Fister exhausts (with the 1.75" diameter stainless tube) on a stock exhaust. Did you have the Fisters on the factory exhaust system prior to the center exhaust mod? What was the difference in sound? What was your center exhaust set up?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes i had fister D first, then did center exhaust with new bumper and it was TERRIBLE sounding- so bought the misha rear bumper GT3 with dual exhaust opening and went back to the fister D- my center exhaust setup was a custom one..it just didn't sound like a porsche , sounded like a loud mustang..i hated it

Old 05-13-2017, 09:23 AM
BF951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think they are all great options, please post pictures of the finished modifications.
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was in the early stages of it after much misdiagnosis and had it removed along with many other body parts. I now need to take enzymes to eat and am diabetic but I no longer have the risk. Good luck with your treatment and health.

Brian

Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Keljag is an unknown quantity at this point
997.1 Aero Kit

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis; hoping the best for you.

You have a very cool plan for your son. I am a +1 for the factory aero kit. The kit looks fantastic on the 997.1s.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
BF951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sharkys. I don't know what specific location "Ocean" is but if you are near the east coast Johns Hopkins has a fantastic Pancreatic Transplant procedure to save the Islet cell function. Few few systems can perform this. I evaluated several of them. I am sure you have skilled people taking care of you but if you would like to hear any first hand experience with this I would be happy to speak with you. I am also part of a support group for like individuals going through this.

Best of luck in whatever path you take! I am sure you and your son are getting a lot of quality time together. Enjoy!

Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM
LeNoah is on a distinguished road
Wow, sure hope your son appreciates you. I have a full factory aerokit 997.1. Let me warn you, the front lip will scrape on everything. Even going in & out of my garage is a task. You can't cross streets with much of a crown and even a couple small dips in my office parking lot require a sever angle crossing. I love the look but it is a job to keep the lip looking decent. Always have a spare in my garage for ready replacement when the old one just can't be patched together any more.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:59 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I take a different position from those who feel a rear wing gives balance when you have a front aero or GT3. Consider the 991R - I've modded mine in the same spirit and there's a good amount of 997s that have done the same - and of course Porsche.

For me I love the classic lines.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 PM
ap3x ftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by LeNoah
Very nice!

Old 11-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Wow a thread from the past. I'm still alive. I still have the 997.1. I had the facility repair the front hood and bumper back to stock. I didn't want to take on any additional projects given what I was going through at the time. The car now has 88K miles and on the original IMS

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in early 2014 when the survival rate was just 6%. I underwent chemo and radiation and eventually a surgery which led to a period of remission for about 2.5 years. The cancer returned in 2016 and I underwent a new six month regimen of chemo/treatment as part of a clinical trial prior to a second surgery at the end of 2016 to remove and put my cancer in remission a second time. A few months ago, I underwent a third surgery to remove one of the lobes of my left lung where the PC had metastasized in early 2017. And nothing new has come up that we can see during routine monitoring (CT scans) since 2017. Currently, I'm have no evidence of disease and in remission for the third time

I have had a few offers for my Jet Black 2005 Launch Edition 997.1 C2S with PCCBs and I just replaced the clutch, flywheel, etc...including the ignition coils, wires, plugs, etc....but the car has been great for the past 12 years I have owned it. It just does everything good - almost boring. I do have two other air-cooled cars I can drive at any given time.

The fact that there is always something to tinker with with on two +50 year old cars, keeps me moving and alive! Enjoy today, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Pancreatic Cancer was the worse thing that ever happened to me, but also the best thing. I'm a < 1%.

Happy Thanksgiving!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Half Aero, Full Aero or GT3 Full Aero Mod?