997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

No gt3 style exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Conan Dombroski is on a distinguished road
Question No gt3 style exhaust

I've searched but have yet to find a real answer. I've found posts asking about this but "no" isn't a suitable answer. I'm looking for an explanation. I've speculated as to why, but I don't know for sure. The question is: Is there a 997.1 C2 exhaust that mimics the GT3 layout? I'm not just talking about a center exit. I mean the way the whole exhaust is layed out from exhaust ports to exit. Every single C2 exhaust I see goes
  1. out from the heads
  2. moves towards the rear of the bumper
  3. crosses at the back and goes to the opposite wheel well
  4. OR
  5. loops back towards same-side wheel well
  6. back towards the front then up into the rear fender to a muffler
  7. comes back down and then exits.

While a GT3 simply goes
  1. out from the heads
  2. moves towards the rear
  3. exits at the center

Even the aftermarket C2 center exit systems still follow the same C2 layout except exiting at the center instead of off to the side. This seems kind of bonkers to me. Is there some physical reason I'm not seeing that won't allow the GT3 layout to work on a C2? I can understand the heads are probably different so the headers won't work between a GT3 and a C2 but what's stopping me from putting on C2 headers and then a headers-back GT3 exhaust?

Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at sites like Fabspeed, FVD, cargraphic, Champion, etc... how are their center exit GT3 style conversion exhaust systems layed out? The standard exhaust photo layout you posted still has the normal side exits.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
Looking at sites like Fabspeed, FVD, cargraphic, Champion, etc... how are their center exit GT3 style conversion exhaust systems layed out? The standard exhaust photo layout you posted still has the normal side exits.
That was my point. The Fabspeed, et. al., center exit layouts use the same, base C2 layout. It's possible there is a center exit C2 exhaust that uses the GT3 layout and I just haven't found it. Those are my questions: Is there one? If so, can someone point me to it? If not, why?

Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Conan Dombroski
That was my point. The Fabspeed, et. al., center exit layouts use the same, base C2 layout. It's possible there is a center exit C2 exhaust that uses the GT3 layout and I just haven't found it. Those are my questions: Is there one? If so, can someone point me to it? If not, why?
Like you say, I don't see a system designed like that from any of them, but there must be a reason. I would bet that the angles would not line up trying to use a set of Carrera headers with the rest of a GT3 system.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
I would bet that the angles would not line up trying to use a set of Carrera headers with the rest of a GT3 system.
Specifically in that scenario, I think you're right. One thing I see is it looks like the cats are integrated into the GT3 headers. That would certainly save space (assuming you'd want to keep the cats.) But why not just do the same with a C2 header? This is like an itch I can't scratch. I need to know!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM
sober_owl is on a distinguished road
i think the longer exhaust path of the c2 n c2s is used to create better low and midrange driveability..vs a gt3 shorter exhaust and more topend power for racing..

Old 03-15-2018, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Conan Dombroski
Specifically in that scenario, I think you're right. One thing I see is it looks like the cats are integrated into the GT3 headers. That would certainly save space (assuming you'd want to keep the cats.) But why not just do the same with a C2 header? This is like an itch I can't scratch. I need to know!
If you want to try it at a discount, this one was just listed this morning https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/418612-f-s-997-991-gt3-exhaust-fabspeed-gmg-sharkwerks.html
and if it doesn't work, you could probably resell it for what you paid since its already used. Not sure how the same system can fit a 991 and a 997 (ad title) though, so you may need to see what it was installed on.

No affiliation.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 AM
Phil 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
I might be wrong but at first glance it looks like your comparing a 997.1 aftermarket sports exhaust with equal length headers sports boxes and 200cell xpipe to the other pic which looks to me to be a 997 gen2 GT3 aftermarket set up as the gen2 has headers with built in cats even on the Carrera it then it would go to side mufflers these look to have been deleted on this system and then it flows into the rear muffler which is also on the gen2 carrera , the aftermarket systems for the gen 2 carrara would allow you to have side muffler delete and just use the rear muffler although most keep the side mufflers and delete the rear muffler and add an X pipe in its place .
thats my initial thought looking at your pics.