997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Can you test the PASM Control Unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM
lordhelemt is on a distinguished road
Can you test the PASM Control Unit?

Does anyone know if the PASM control (997.618.105.04) unit can be tested?

I've been chasing a PASM fault that's only triggered once the car rolls forward or backwards a few inches. Once the ignition is turned off the fault goes away. If you leave the car on and read the code it implies fault with the rear shocks. I replaced them with new Bilstiens and still have the fault. I think its either a bad connection or faulty Damp Tronic control unit. I've checked all the visible connections (I think I found them all) and they all look good so I'm leaning towards it being a faulty control box but would like to know if there is a way to check it with a mulitmeter before buying one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or direction.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Actually I think I have a compromised wire. When I check continuity on the plug from the shock to the harness plug for the PASM control unit I only get a reading on 1 of the wires (for both rear shocks).

Does anyone have a pin out diagram for the PASM control unit? That would really help diagnose where the break is.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
If it turns out to be the control box, I have the one from my 05 C2S I'd sell, if it's a match, as I replaced it with the TPC unit.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
If it turns out to be the control box, I have the one from my 05 C2S I'd sell, if it's a match, as I replaced it with the TPC unit.
Thanks, should know later today if its the control unit or a wiring issue. I think there is a break between the shock and wiring block on the passenger sill. Working my way backwards from the control box and need to remove the rear seats/carpet today.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lordhelemt
Thanks, should know later today if its the control unit or a wiring issue. I think there is a break between the shock and wiring block on the passenger sill. Working my way backwards from the control box and need to remove the rear seats/carpet today.
I assume with the error, the suspension is in full stiff all the time, as that's the default (for safety reasons) when an error occurs.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Petza914
I assume with the error, the suspension is in full stiff all the time, as that's the default (for safety reasons) when an error occurs.
Yes, it was in the stiff mode.

All fixed. Ended up being a compromised wire under the rear seat.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:47 AM
Scb1712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but how were you testing to continuity of the wires? My car is showing a fault that 3 of the 4 valves have failed (both rears and LF). I have removed the controller but don’t know which pins relate to which shock wires. Any insight or photos would be much appreciated

Old 07-08-2023, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Scb1712
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but how were you testing to continuity of the wires? My car is showing a fault that 3 of the 4 valves have failed (both rears and LF). I have removed the controller but don’t know which pins relate to which shock wires. Any insight or photos would be much appreciated
It’s been a while so I don’t know if I’m remembering this correctly. I tested the plug from the shock to the control unit (for continuity). My multimeter was showing a broken circuit so I started pulling the seats/carpet and looked for a break. Once I had everything pulled I found a visible break in the wire under the rear seats. I made a new connection at the break and all was fine.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:38 PM
Scb1712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks - which pins on the controller plug were you using to test? Is there a wiring diagram of which pins are for which shock?

Old 07-09-2023, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE=Scb1712;4927315]Thanks - which pins on the controller plug were you using to test? Is there a wiring diagram of which pins are for which shock?[/QUOTE

I don’t recall if I used a diagram or tested every combination to find the break.