997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you recommend the W4400NEX for 997.1 w/Bose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 PM
douirc is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you recommend the W4400NEX for 997.1 w/Bose?

Hi everyone. I have a 2006 997 c2 with Bose and am debating replacing the stock PSM with the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. Newegg has a flash sale for $350 after MIR which makes it pretty compelling, but I can't find anyone who's installed it in a 997.1.

Anyone have it and like it? Did you install it yourself? Can the average tinkerer do it themselves or better to take it to a shop? How about compatibility with the Bose system (without DVD changer in boot)?

Feedback and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
I installed a AVH-4100NEX myself, very similar model. You will need a MOST optical adapter to keep the Bose amplifier. NAV-TV''s MOST-HUR is the premium one. There are clones floating around for less, not sure how well they work. The only drawback is you will NOT have fader control after the install if you keep the optical bus. Setup the fade with the PCM still attached then do the head unit swap. Or replace the Bose amp and optical bus with a normal amp. Decent amps are about the same price as the NAV-TV MOST adapter.

Installing the head unit is just like any other car. If you've done one before you can do this as a DIY. Or take it to your local car audio shop.

Good find on Newegg's deal! I've been wanting to upgrade to the AVH-W4400NEX for the wireless Android Auto feature. I might just do it!

Old 11-22-2018, 10:09 AM
douirc is an unknown quantity at this point
Yikes, so I'm in $650 for the HUR kit plus $350 for the head set. Looking less attractive.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html

I also need a mounting kit, right? I see NavTV has one for $200 but eBay and
Amazon Amazon
have it for $20. Am I making a mistake buying the $20 version?

Anything else I'm missing? Installation should be relatively straight forward?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 PM
Arisotezza18 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the W4400NEX on the Newegg deal... Great price! Install was pretty simple there are plenty DIY's you can follow. You will need:

1. MOST Hur adapter... i bought a generic one on Amazon for under $100 and it seems to work fine... just remember to zero out your fader before you disconnect the OEM radio.
2. VW/Porsche Antenna Adapter
3. VW/Porsche Radio Harness
4. Dash kit...

You can get all of these items for about $130 from Amazon.

The W4400NEX is a nice unit. Way better than the original radio. The antenna adapter can be troublesome and you might get poor reception in some areas, but that has nothing to do with the head unit.

One thing to note... I could not get wireless Android auto to work on my Samsung Note 8... apparently it only works for Google Pixels at this point... hopefully there is an update that takes care of this soon.