997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Using an iPhone as an Ipod only for music but it won't stay charged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:32 AM
gahewson is on a distinguished road
Using an iPhone as an Ipod only for music but it won't stay charged

I've recently replaced my IPod with an old IPhone to get more storage and plugged it into the system via the aux lead but the IPhone won't stay charged? It's an IPhone 4 with the same connection as an IPod and works fine when charged but when left, it discharges and then doesn't register on the system. This is on a Gen 2 997 with 3.0 PSM.
Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:35 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I have a '12 997.2 and find that neither my iPhone or ipod work well with PCM 3.0. Neither work with the ipod connection because of the weird connection port. I can use the cable that has a old apple connection and a usb plug that supples power, but then I had to get an adapter to convert from the old ipod cable to the new. Still didn't work. I can plug the ipod into the usb port and it only works intermittently. Or it may work but then won't advance to the next track. I finally just bought a sandisk mp3 player and it seems to work a bit better. It was just such a hassle moving the songs from iTunes to the mp3 player. What I probably will ultimately do is replace the head unit and bose amp with aftermarket units.
I had an '08 997.1 and had similar problems and replaced the head unit but then found out that I had no control over the rear speakers. The audio shop that did it didn't know that the bose amp needed a HUR Most adapter to control the rear speakers. The cab of a 911 is small enough that it isn't a big deal, but I just like everything to work like it should.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
In my Cayenne with PCM3 I hooked up an M-power BT music streaming interface (amazon). Pair to the A2DP streaming function of the phone only (not the calls BT profile), plug the aux plug into the multi interface of the car for inputting the audio signals, plug a short USB into the USB port for charging and you can play music stored on the phone or stream (Pandora) to the PCM. Call clarity isn't effected since the phone's BT call profile is still connected directly to the PCM.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Flying Cat will become famous soon enoughFlying Cat will become famous soon enough
Several years ago i installed the Dension Gateway 500 in my 997.1. It works so well that I wrote an installation post. The beauty of it is that it not only charges the iPod or iPhone, but you can use the existing radio controls on the head unit and the steering wheel to control your music. Also, music lists, playlists, etc are shown on the radio head display.

Here is my post from almost 10 years ago, and I am still using it today:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ion-guide.html

Note, I have no relationship whatsoever with this product.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flying Cat
Several years ago i installed the Dension Gateway 500 in my 997.1. It works so well that I wrote an installation post. The beauty of it is that it not only charges the iPod or iPhone, but you can use the existing radio controls on the head unit and the steering wheel to control your music. Also, music lists, playlists, etc are shown on the radio head display.

Here is my post from almost 10 years ago, and I am still using it today:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ion-guide.html

Note, I have no relationship whatsoever with this product.
I don't believe the Dension system is compatible with the PCM3 in the 2009 and newer cars, which is what the OP has. I too have a Dension in my 997.1.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:52 AM
JackAlonso1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the phone drains quickly, but it's much more comfortable than it may seem. If you have recently upgraded to a new iPhone, you may wonder what to do with your old iPhone. Your basic solution may be to sell your old iPhone, but you'll be surprised at how much use you can get out of your old iPhone, even if you don't have a data plan attached to it. One of the most popular methods of repurposing is to use your old iPhone as a glorified iPod Touch. It was even written about once in a news story on https://zumroad.com/tech. Chances are your iPhone has an aged battery, and you need to change it.

Last edited by JackAlonso1991; 11-22-2022 at 12:44 PM.