997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 or 3rd Gen Viper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM
snaphappy is on a distinguished road
997 or 3rd Gen Viper

I've been saving for a 997 TT for years. I'm never going to get there. It's time to be realistic and settle on a car I'll enjoy in my "poor guy" budget. My budget is $35,000.

My heart belongs to the 997. I love the styling of the 997. But I'm terrified of maintenance. I do some wrenching, but the weird electrical problems of Porsche terrify me. But if the 997 behaves itself, and is moderately reliable, I'll be the happiest man on earth. I cannot even begin to explain how long I've wanted a 997. It would be a dream come true.

But I went to a local dealer and they had gen 3 Viper sitting right next to a 997. The 997 looked pitiful next to the Viper. The Viper made me feel giddy just looking at it. The entire car was absurd and theatrical. So I said to myself "yeah but the inside of the Viper has Dodge Neon AC vents etc." But then I sat in it. The interior was kinda cool TBH. The steering wheel is great, the gauges are awesome, the shifter is great. I liked the interior. The Viper also had a really decent trunk. The convertible top isn't electric, but that's one less thing that can break.

I can't find any downside to the Viper. People complain the interior gets hot. I don't drive very far each day, because I work from home, and I have a suburban. So I'm not worried about comfort. People say the Viper will kill me. I don't drive aggressive. Which is why the 997 is fine for me too. I'm not looking to drive fast very often.

My life consists of driving 3 miles to a local restaurant, eating lunch, then driving 3 miles home to work all day at my desk. My car is a really fun moment that breaks the monotony.

How do I pick? Ultimately, the Viper may win because A) there are more Vipers available between $30-$35,000 than 997's. 997's are still often $40,000+ which seems ridiculous. B) At $35,000 most of the 997's have 50-75,000 miles. Vipers, on the other hand, are almost always under 50,000 miles. But I just want to reiterate how much I love the 997 and even a high milage example would fill me with a lot of pride. I love everything about them, from the cupholders to the keyfob, I really love Porsche.

Last edited by snaphappy; 01-13-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, there's 2 cars that aren't often cross-shopped. Do you ever take the car on a trip, like more than 4 hours away? If so, and it's your only car, the 997 will be a joy and the Viper a PITA. For 3 mile trips, it doesn't really matter what you drive. A Vespa or Prius would work just as well. I can tell you that short trips like this in any car, especially a 997, where the oil never gets up to temperature to burn off the condensed moisture, is terrible for it.

Also, not sure why you think 997 values remaining high is ridiculous. It's simply supply and demand and these were $100-&150k cars when new. People still want 911s keeping the.values up, Vipers, not so much.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
As Petza said, two totally different cars. No comparison. As he also pointed out, there's rhyme and reason to the pricing of each of them. If the Viper would be as desirable as the 997 it would be priced the same. It's like saying...."why are houses in San Francisco so much more expensive than in Fargo, ND"?

I drove a Viper once and was not impressed. It's big, almost grotesque looking to my eyes and he interior looked and felt cheap. No shortage of horse power to be sure but the overall handling doesn't match the power imo.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:18 PM
V12TT Merc is an unknown quantity at this point
Ironic that this topic just popped up. I have a 997s aero kit and also had a 98 gts in the past. For no reason I recently got the urge to trade my 997 for an amg and then had a deal going to trade for an 06 viper. It literally took 1min being in the garage with my car to make my mind up, no question I'm keeping the 997 and would only get rid of it for a turbo or gt3. The viper has awesome power but honestly sounds like an Isuzu truck and kind is boring up top. I had ac6 z06 that was way better. BUT even though the 997 is down on power it by far is the best to own. The quality and craftsmanship is not even in the same atmosphere as the viper and way better than the vette. ... Don't know why your worried about the maintenance that are pretty much bullet proof besides ims, plugs , coil packs. . . Go with the 997, you will be very happy

Old 01-16-2019, 07:20 PM
V12TT Merc is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to mention the radio sucks in the viper and your legs are hotter than hell all the time.I think it's up to a 40 degree increase by the pedals or something ridiculous... & be honest with yourself the interior is Rubbermaid crap , seats aren't that bad but then again same seats in a neon srt4