997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

This is the only way to not SCRAPE on my driveway, is it okay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
dennis_said is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the only way to not SCRAPE on my driveway, is it okay?

Hi guys I have a really wonky driveway... it's difficult because the approach is very aggressive too and the driveway itself is steep... for me to go down or up most of the time due to the waviness of the grade part of my car is in the air. for example going down my front right is suspending in the air as I get down the ramp and then it lowers slowly as I straight out. Going up similar.

No scraping.

BUT..... I'm just wondering why when I'm going up or down I feel a "grinding" sound. I don't mean to jump right to grinding sound bad but that's the only way I can put it... it's something under my front suspension going grrrr.. it doesn't come from rear--so just wondering if anybody can ease my mind on this. THanks!

Old 03-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
The torsional rigidity of these cars is so good, it's not uncommon to have a wheel in the air in situations of high articulation, and that's fine.

A grinding sound isn't really. Are you scraping the front lip or something underneath the car. Next time it happens ,stop, put on the parking brake and go look under the car to see if something is touching.

If you're backing down a steep incline, it's also possible the ABS is activating because the front wheels have become so unloaded. Does it feel or sound like the ABS pump, and can you feel pulsing in the brake pedal when it happens?