997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
For installation, I'd suggest reading the post by tmc on 11/26/07 at http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ic=16189&st=20. I've copied it below. This is what I used it and worked for me :-)

Ok how to do the install:

First, remove the PCM head unit.

Second, behind the PCM are two connectors, one is (an ISO connector) for the fiber and one is for the radio power, etc.

Nav-TV supplies a male-female wiring harness that is very convenient: you unclip the radio power connector, insert the car end into the Nav-TV harness, and insert the other end back into the PCM.

The fiber is not as hard as it seems. You have to carefully pull a small, blue 'T' out of the connector using a small jewelers screw driver. Once done, you have to then remove one of the two fiber cables. Each is held in with a small clip that, if you pry slightly with aforementioned screwdriver, the cable will simply come out of the connector.

The Nav-TV Tooki is supplied with a fiber connector populated with one cable. The idea is you disconnect the 'out' side (there are arrows on the connectors) of the PCM fiber, attach it to the Nav-TV connector. Before you can attach the fiber to the NAV-TV connector, you need to disassemble it. On the non-business side (ie, the side where the fiber is connected), along the short side, is a clasp. It's hard to see, but it's there. Use a small-blade screwdriver to release the clasp and get to the "inner" cable connector. Once you get to this, you'll see the blue tab. You will need to remove its blue T as well, and then hook the Nav-TV-supplied cable back into the PCM. So what comes out of the PCM is now routed to the Nav-TV Tooki, and then the Tooki routes it back to the car. Be sure to put all of the blue tabs back and reassemble the inner NAV-TV connector into its shell (it slides in and snaps in place).

You're almost done! Hook up the power connector from the NAV-TV's wiring harness to the Nav-TV Tooki control box (easy: just pushes in).

Route the microphone cable. I mounted my microphone on the driver's left side by the top of the A pillar. I used their supplied clip and also routed the cord with an old credit card. Then down and across the top of the pedal area (using wire ties to hold it up) and into the back of the center console area, connected ultimately to the phono jack in the Tooki.

Mounting: I found I could use some double backed tape and mount the Tooki behind the PCM. There is gobs of room back there.

Push it all back in and reverse the procedure to remove the PCM.

Turn on the head unit and you should see 'Tooki searching . . ."

Set your phone to search for bluetooth and pair with the device, its pin for me was 6888

Then it will transfer your address book.

Finally, try making a call! Now you're cooking with gas!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
sfguy is infamous around these parts
bob/ft.worth also posted a reply to that thread with more info and great pictures. This really helped me out - thanks Bob!

Installed the tooki today. Works like a charm. my address book contains about 60 entries and i had access to all. Signal was clear on both sides of the conversation. Very, very pleased. Use the PCM buttons to dial, the call/haang-up buttons to make and end calls. All intergated and you almost wouldn't know you were using Bluetooth

Add these notes to TMC's install instructions
(ps... there are NO install instructions with the unit)

Carpet piece Torx 27
Leatherette trim panels Torx 20
Locking bolt on passenger side 7mm

The 1/4 turn locking 'bolts' are VERY easy to turn with a 5mm hex wrench. Like 1 ftlb easy, so just give them a light twist. NOTE: the upper one on the drivers side is tough to get to. You kinda do it by feel using a 5mm allen wrench. (the lower dashboard trim is in the way. But I got it done on the first try.

Don't forget the 7mm locking bolt on the pass side.

So what stumped me? It was the fiber connector supplied by Nav-TV. The one fiber cable comes pre-made with a connector on the end to plug into the tooki. You have to insert one of the cables from the car into this connector. Well it's a little different and took me 10 minutes to figure out. Usually the fiber connectors have a small blue pin you pull out. This one is actually a two-piece connector. On one side of the connector is a small piece of plastic. Slip a very small screwdriver in between the main housing and the piece of plastic. That will release the inner 'barrel' so you can insert the fiber cable. Low an behold, there is the little blue "T" pin,

I placed the Tooki directly behind the PCM. There is a narrow gap between the rear-most bracket where it fits perfectly. I'd added some velco to keep it from rattling. Just make sure all the cabling is out of the way. There is just enough room to fit it.

Mic: The mic was placed by the sunroof console. A constant pain for me is running any wire along the upper windshield without it falling down all the time. This time I cut some of those styrofoam peanuts in half and wedged them in; works great.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
i have my mic install near my drivers side mirror dash area with double sided tape. When driving everone hears me great so i have no issues.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
wondersurgeon is infamous around these parts
installed my tooki

I just installed my Tooki (purchased through the group buy). Thanks to all who posted install instructions. I have no experience in these things and was able to easily do it myself.

Works great with the iPhone. Now ready to add iPod and XM or Sirius.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Great to hear! And for those who missed the group buy, email me for a special deal: eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 PM
LemmyCaution is infamous around these parts
TOOKI Mic Position -

Originally Posted by snowrider204
i just had the mic moved to the oem location. the tooki is a noise cancelling mic. i called my other cell phone and left a long message as a test. works great standing still. but when moving at even 25 mph, can't hear anything. not even faintly. it's as if the noise cancelling function is trying to fix the noise but i just a a lot of garble.
The TOOKI mic has ports on the sides. These ports are part of the noise cancelling feature. If you enclose the TOOKI mic, not only will you lose not cancel background noise, in some cases it will increase.

It all relates to phase and timing differences in various sounds and what the mic 'hears' in relation voice.

Hope this helps - We have the TOOKI mic mounted just behind the rearview mirror attachment point. This location works well in our Cayenne.
I've yet to find a hands-free mic solution for my Boxster (except for the Jawbone headset) that will work -top down.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:16 PM
printemps2001 is infamous around these parts
I have the mic mounted in the OEM spot and have had no complaints from people on the other end of the line.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM
LemmyCaution is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by printemps2001
I have the mic mounted in the OEM spot and have had no complaints from people on the other end of the line.
Thanks - same mic? Both the installer and NavTV recommended against mounting here.

Based on your reply, I'll give it a try as I'd rather not see the mic hanging out of the headliner!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
I tried the OEM spot (see previous posts) and just took it out and placed it on the map light console under the mirror were I originally had it. The folks on the other end of the calls (OEM spot) had lots of trouble hearing me. I like the OEM look but it just didn't work for me. So out it came.

I wouldn't recommend it without trying different positions under the cowling to see if it's effective. Too bad too...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
I had the same problem and put it upside down between the Speedo and the Fuel gauge and have gotten excellent results.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
scuzy is infamous around these parts
here is my location and no one complaint about hte sound at all after this spot

Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 AM
W211 is infamous around these parts
Had the Tooki installed today. Thanks to Atomic80 (Jason)'s rescue, found the OEM phone module under the passenger seat. For those who don't know, unless one removes the phone module from the fiber optic chain, PCM wil pick up the factory phone instead of the Tooki emulated phone.

Anyone interested in the factory phone module, I'll be happy to let it go at a good price.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:05 PM
nizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the rough
Nav-tv

Anyone got a recommended installer for the NAV-TV Satellite radio kit for the 997 (factory Navi) in the Boston area?

http://www.navtv.com/product/86/sate...interface.html

Thanks !

Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned
Edgy01 is infamous around these parts
It's not that difficult a job to do yourself if you have any reasonable technical capability. I posted a thorough guide to do this yourself on Rennlist some time back:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ion-guide.html

Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
nizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the roughnizzoc4s is a jewel in the rough
Thanks. I take it installing the bluetooth kit vs the sat. radio one is pretty much the same steps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997