American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

American Muscle... AM General Hummer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
E55 Bulldog K2 will become famous soon enough
American Muscle... AM General Hummer

Had some time to clean up my rig and figured I would take a few pics... does not get as much attention as she deserves. I thinks its her turn...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	H15_zpsab817894.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	327217   Click image for larger version

Name:	H12_zpsa05b3663.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	327218   Click image for larger version

Name:	H11_zpsaced750a.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	327219   Click image for larger version

Name:	H13_zps3ec2b4ce.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	327220   Click image for larger version

Name:	H18_zpsd2e46e35.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	327221  

Click image for larger version

Name:	H14_zpsa3d1308e.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	327222   Click image for larger version

Name:	H17_zps17091d89.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	327223   Click image for larger version

Name:	H16_zps96b9dfb8.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	327224  
Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Nice! I've always wanted one of those. How's maintenance on it?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by r_matt_6
Nice! I've always wanted one of those. How's maintenance on it?

It really depends on a number of factors.

What type of condition you got it in.... Even a 'mint' H1 will require some maintenance. Good thing is, if you know your way around a tool box, most issues can be fixed.
There are 3 types of H1s on the market…
- Ones that are strictly used for off-road which are in great mechanical order but astatically look like hell.
- Street Queens, these rigs look great but often are treated by their owners like any other car…. Change the oil and call it a day. This is bad if so. These truck are not good on highway due to transfer case begin run at high temps for long periods of time, many oils need to be changed (engine, t-case, geared hubs, front and read diffs, tranny… )
- Once cared about but no longer… these trucks were someone’s pride and joy but they fell out of love or out of money and let the rig start to rot…

What you’re going to use it for.... If you’re going to use it as a trail truck then maintenance is increased by double. Anything rig taken off road will break something, either small or large, its the nature of the beast. If you going to use it as a DD than you will need to keep up on its scheduled A, B, and C maintenance.... same rule applies... if you have a set of tools and some free time, you can do it yourself. If you need to take is somewhere, get ready to bend over. Mechanics only see $$$ when they see one of these. Also when shopping make sure you educate yourself on all the diff year model changes… every year something was changed, mostly to correct an issue. A lot of people bite off more than they can chew with these.

I love it, love to work on it, it’s a beast… hands down my favorite car/truck I have owned… and there have been a lot.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Super clean! Looks nice. Diggin it!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog K2
It really depends on a number of factors.

What type of condition you got it in.... Even a 'mint' H1 will require some maintenance. Good thing is, if you know your way around a tool box, most issues can be fixed.
There are 3 types of H1s on the market…
- Ones that are strictly used for off-road which are in great mechanical order but astatically look like hell.
- Street Queens, these rigs look great but often are treated by their owners like any other car…. Change the oil and call it a day. This is bad if so. These truck are not good on highway due to transfer case begin run at high temps for long periods of time, many oils need to be changed (engine, t-case, geared hubs, front and read diffs, tranny… )
- Once cared about but no longer… these trucks were someone’s pride and joy but they fell out of love or out of money and let the rig start to rot…

What you’re going to use it for.... If you’re going to use it as a trail truck then maintenance is increased by double. Anything rig taken off road will break something, either small or large, its the nature of the beast. If you going to use it as a DD than you will need to keep up on its scheduled A, B, and C maintenance.... same rule applies... if you have a set of tools and some free time, you can do it yourself. If you need to take is somewhere, get ready to bend over. Mechanics only see $$$ when they see one of these. Also when shopping make sure you educate yourself on all the diff year model changes… every year something was changed, mostly to correct an issue. A lot of people bite off more than they can chew with these.

I love it, love to work on it, it’s a beast… hands down my favorite car/truck I have owned… and there have been a lot.
awesome! thank you for your input.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Nice rig. I have the same motor in my C3500. The good ole Detroit 6.5 turbo diesel. I can't remember if they called it the 6500 Optimizer in your year Hummer but now the new ones have the P400 motors.

Peninsula makes a nice turbo upgrade for your motor!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Why Try is infamous around these parts
I would give up a lot of things for your ride, Its beautiful. Still cant get over how much people are getting for them. I would love to come across one some day.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Nice rig. I have the same motor in my C3500. The good ole Detroit 6.5 turbo diesel. I can't remember if they called it the 6500 Optimizer in your year Hummer but now the new ones have the P400 motors.

Peninsula makes a nice turbo upgrade for your motor!
They didn't start calling it the optimizer until later after a few changes.

Luckly I found my 01 with the late production Vin where AMG had taken back over the casting of the blocks to get rid ofthe #8 issues there haunted these engines from 97-01.

Modding these engines is a slippery slope... if you add hp they you start to havgin cooling issues... and so on. Ill stick with my 195hp. hahaha...

Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Why Try
I would give up a lot of things for your ride, Its beautiful. Still cant get over how much people are getting for them. I would love to come across one some day.

Yeah, the prices are all over the place. It is crazy.

All I can say, if you want one, get it sooner then later. A lot of our trucks are begin sold and shipped over seas. They are a very fast dieing bread in the states. And just becuase the military still uses them does not mean we will get out hands on them. All the trucks coming back from duty are being de-milled and shreaded for scrap metal. There are only a few military style HMMWVs floating around that have actual legal papers. You will see some on loan from the gov't to police, fire, ect... but they are not for sale and anyone tries to sell you one, uncle sam will come take it away no questions asked.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The pride of my home town (other than Notre Dame). Looks Awesome!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Casper 1 is on a distinguished road
Love the front brush guard and the obviously over built suspension, I ended up replacing/upgrading the entire suspension in my Wrangler. What engine is it?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Casper 1
Love the front brush guard and the obviously over built suspension, I ended up replacing/upgrading the entire suspension in my Wrangler. What engine is it?
My suspension is stock except for a spring spacer
That is pretty much all you can do for these is spring spaceres and body lifts, which in this case body lifts are a good idea on these trucks. They bet a bad rap on everyother truck but on the H1s they provide the extra clearance to do a lot of maintenance that you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

My truck has a 6.5 TD in it. Nothing grand haha. There are a lot of trucks being upgraded with cummins and d-max but with that comes a lot of work and fab time.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
The pride of my home town (other than Notre Dame). Looks Awesome!
South Bend in the house.... AM General is a great company, im sure you have seen a lot rigs up your way. I know guys that still go up there for the offroad course.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Casper 1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog K2
My suspension is stock except for a spring spacer
That is pretty much all you can do for these is spring spaceres and body lifts, which in this case body lifts are a good idea on these trucks. They bet a bad rap on everyother truck but on the H1s they provide the extra clearance to do a lot of maintenance that you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

My truck has a 6.5 TD in it. Nothing grand haha. There are a lot of trucks being upgraded with cummins and d-max but with that comes a lot of work and fab time.

What size axles? # 60 or larger?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Casper 1
What size axles? # 60 or larger?
They really don't fall into that category. The diff case is a DANA (ACM) 20 with independent 10k half-shafts. You can also upgrade to a 12k half-shaft as the 10k tend break when off roading.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: American Muscle... AM General Hummer