American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

My 16 yr old stock truck that gives C6 Z06's fits...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 PM
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Theres a good reason why your truck gives your Vette' fits! Nice bro!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
TTony will become famous soon enoughTTony will become famous soon enough
Just came across this, pretty interesting stuff:

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/06_Z06_Stk_Tires.html

STOCK (including tires)
60'........1.852 3350 launch rpm, fast clutch release, fast throttle squeeze
330'......4.900
660'......7.356 100.59
1000'.....9.450
1320'...11.223 127.16

The driver I ran across could use this! It would be ugly real quick... (like after 2 seconds instead of after 9 seconds... )

Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vicious
What do they 60' stock? 1.6 and you will get about 70ft on me in a bone stock GTS... on the street, on street tires. If i'm on DR's you'll be SOL in half that distance.

If you get someone who knows how to drive that C6Z it will tear you apart in every conceivable way. I've seen more Vipers and Z06's run 13's than I have seen them run 11's... it's not the cars fault. Watch out for the guy who can drive, he will be a huge reality check.

I'm sorry but comparing a truck that runs 13.1 @ 98 to a car that will go 11's @ 125 is just foolish.

Syclones and Typhoons were badass in the early 90's, and you might beat a so/so driver in a C6Z to 60', but there is no way you're quicker (or even close) to 60mph, 80mph, or the 1/4 mile against anyone who can drive.

A stock Syclone reaches 100mph in over 14 seconds. The Z in +/- 8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Typhoon

Last edited by HIRISC; 09-08-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 PM
|Drew| is on a distinguished road
FYI lots of Vette driver's can't drive. For instance, I beat a C5 at the 1/8th mile track in my Mom's 2000 Ford Expedition. I used it to haul some equipment for my friends racecar and got bored, so I registered and was seeing how consistent I could get on the tree.

Ended up beating a C5 Vette with the guy's wife in the car.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by HIRISC

Syclones and Typhoons were badass in the early 90's, and you might beat a so/so driver in a C6Z to 60', but there is no way you're quicker (or even close) to 60mph, 80mph, or the 1/4 mile against anyone who can drive.

A stock Syclone reaches 100mph in over 14 seconds. The Z in +/- 8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Typhoon

Stock times range from 13 flat to 14 sec stock (depending on which magazine you reference...). 0-60 times are 4.3-5.0 sec stock (depending on which magazine...). But you're right... there's no way a 4.3 sec AWD vehicle will be 'close' to a 3.9 sec RWD vehicle to 60 mph on the street. If you think stock tired Z06's are consistantly pulling sub 2.0 sec 60' times on the street, I'll have some of what you're smoking.

I'm not into magazine racing but it does support what happened in real life. I saw some of the best excuses for losing from the 335 guys on E90post. The best was a guy saying the 335 driver must not have pressed the accelerator "all the way" to the floor. Even though it was the 335 driver who posted he lost, lol.

Why can't people just accept that in this case their favorite car didn't do as well as it would have if a professional driver had been driving it with drag radials on a closed course track???

Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by |Drew|
FYI lots of Vette driver's can't drive. For instance, I beat a C5 at the 1/8th mile track in my Mom's 2000 Ford Expedition. I used it to haul some equipment for my friends racecar and got bored, so I registered and was seeing how consistent I could get on the tree.

Ended up beating a C5 Vette with the guy's wife in the car.
The guys wife must have told him not to drive fast, otherwise there is no way that happened.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTony
Stock times range from 13 flat to 14 sec stock (depending on which magazine you reference...). 0-60 times are 4.3-5.0 sec stock (depending on which magazine...). But you're right... there's no way a 4.3 sec AWD vehicle will be 'close' to a 3.9 sec RWD vehicle to 60 mph on the street. If you think stock tired Z06's are consistantly pulling sub 2.0 sec 60' times on the street, I'll have some of what you're smoking.
Your 0-60 estimates are optimistic for the Syclone and pessimistic for the Z.

R & T had it at 5.1 seconds and you're saying it will do 0-60 in 4.3.

Magazines run the Z to 60 in 3.6 - the difference between 3.6 and 5.1 is an eternity.

Here's my 0-60 time 3.787 - 60' is 2.022. Run at 90 degrees F on 30psi stock Supercar EMT's.

I'm not a pro driver by any means, but if a stock Syclone can get within 4 seconds of my 1/8 mile, I'll eat my hat.

Keep dreaming

Last edited by HIRISC; 09-08-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Your 0-60 estimates are optimistic for the Syclone and pessimistic for the Z.

R & T had it at 5.1 seconds and you're saying it will do 0-60 in 4.3.

Magazines run the Z to 60 in 3.6 - the difference between 3.6 and 5.1 is an eternity.
Optimistic for the Syclone?

Car and Driver: 0-60 in 4.3; 1/4 mile in 13 flat
http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack...ver_11-90.html

Hot Rod: 0-60 in 4.6, 1/4 in 13.06 @ 100.2 mph
http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/hot_rod_10-90.html

Note that R&T showed the same 0-60 of 5.1 for the Typhoon which is the identical drivetrain and weighs 400lbs more. Maybe the R&T test driver for the Sy weighed 400lbs?

I thought I was being optimistic for the Z06..., R&T showed 4.2 sec 0-60 for the Z06 not 3.6 sec. And Edmunds shows a 4.5 sec 0-60 time (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107906). That's an eternity of difference from your 3.6 sec.

Also, acceleration is a derivative of velocity, just because you're the first to 60mph doesn't mean you will be ahead of the race when you reach 60mph. You'll see the Sy's taillights before it sees yours.

Here's my 0-60 time 3.787 - 60' is 2.022. Run at 90 degrees F on 30psi stock Supercar EMT's.
That's your G-tech time. Why doesn't anyone use G-tech time as an official time? hmmmm? Stock Sy's have registered 3.3-3.4 sec on a G-tech and still have a 13 sec 1/4 mile time. Something to do with the launch screwing 'em up.

I'm not a pro driver by any means, but if a stock Syclone can get within 4 seconds of my 1/8 mile, I'll eat my hat.
Uh, I think I could do it within 4 seconds.

Although factory rated at 280hp/380tq, stock Sy's have dyno'd 292hp and 427tq to the wheels on an AWD dyno. With that tq and relatively low hp, they are built for 0-60 and stoplight to stoplight racing. Above 80mph, it's like hitting a brick wall in the Sy. It's unreal how the rate of acceleration slows.

I won't race a Z06 (or any other car for that matter) above 80mph for the same reason a Z06 owner wouldn't race me in the rain. It's no contest (and a heck of a speeding ticket).

Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
3.7 seconds for the Z06 is extremely optimistic for me... After I spin, regain traction, restart the car, get it straight again, find first again, and then roll into 60... I'm pushing 15 seconds...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by TTony
.....Also, acceleration is a derivative of velocity, just because you're the first to 60mph doesn't mean you will be ahead of the race when you reach 60mph. You'll see the Sy's taillights before it sees yours.

That's your G-tech time. Why doesn't anyone use G-tech time as an official time? hmmmm? Stock Sy's have registered 3.3-3.4 sec on a G-tech and still have a 13 sec 1/4 mile time. Something to do with the launch screwing 'em up.

Uh, I think I could do it within 4 seconds.

I won't race a Z06 (or any other car for that matter) above 80mph for the same reason a Z06 owner wouldn't race me in the rain. It's no contest (and a heck of a speeding ticket).
I didn't mean to cause so much consternation.

In your 4.3 second citing, remember that C&D doesn't consider the rollout - add .3 seconds.

Let's 'agree' that a good time of the Syc is actually 4.6 seconds.

That is neither the best, nor the mean time of a C6Z (Edmunds 'testing' not withstanding).

Regarding the Gtech, it's accurate enough to make my point. Why don't you run your Sy on a Gtech and post your times up for comparison?

Look, the Syclone is 'quick' out of the hole because it has 4wd, not because it has superpowers. My old Jeep Grand Cherokee was probably faster to 60' than my Z, but I didn't think I was going to be ahead of a 505hp/3130lb supercar at 300'.

You may want to continue to hope for short blocks (or rain) for your stoplight to stoplight 'racing'.

Last edited by HIRISC; 09-09-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Look, the Syclone is 'quick' out of the hole because it has 4wd, not because it has superpowers. My old Jeep Grand Cherokee was probably faster to 60' than my Z, but I didn't think I was going to be ahead of a 505hp/3130lb supercar at 300'.
superpowers? like the magical Z06?

It is the 'quickest' stock production truck ever produced. The reason it launches so well is the AWD and 380+lbft of torque. It's also super easy to launch at its limit on the street. Apply brakes, push accelerator to bring boost to 10psi... let go of brakes and you're gone.

What is the 0.3 sec thing you are talking about for C&D? If the Sy is not brake launched (only possible from a standing start), the 0-60 will definitely be over 5 sec.

You may want to continue to hope for short blocks (or rain) for your stoplight to stoplight 'racing'.
You can continue to hope that the streets are made of sticky tar and are as long as runways.

That's the things with Syclones, nobody thinks a truck can launch that hard on the street.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-f3xDWNVag[/MEDIA]

BTW, the point of my thread was I will probably begin modding it. For under $1000, 0-60 in the mid 3's. The truck is down right now as I'm prepping it for upgrades. Just installed a baja spec front propshaft and I'm replacing the braking system because of an issue with the front right caliper. Figured might as well replace the lines, etc since it is 17 years old. I looked at putting in a set of Z06 rotors and calipers (they are direct bolt on) but I would have to add larger wheels. They just don't fit under the stock 16" wheels.

Enjoy the Top Gear review, lol. It's bad quality but it gives you an idea of the era it's from. "Poison" by Alice Cooper is the 'hip' song in it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFTgZWHHR0g[/media]

Jeremy looks way young too!

Last edited by TTony; 09-09-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 AM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
The Top Gear review was hysterical... Clarkson was young!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 AM
.3 seconds for the rollout - aka, the time it takes for a car/truck to move 1' - some magazines add that time to the 0-60 and some don't. C&D doesn't, hence the need to add it to the 4.3 time you cited.

My updated 'uh oh' list:

997TT
CGT
LP640
Veyron
McLaren F1
Enzo
599 Fiorano
Mercedes SLR
2008 Viper
Syclone

Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM
My updated 'uh oh' list:

997TT
CGT
LP640
Veyron
McLaren F1
Enzo
599 Fiorano
Mercedes SLR
2008 Viper
Syclone
LMAO, nice.

My "uh oh" list:
Just about everything over 60mph or in a turn.
Drag radials

Old 09-10-2007, 04:59 PM
dferg476 is on a distinguished road
What engine is in it? 4.3 turbo? Those trucks are nasty, same with the typhoon, they are getting more and more rare as time goes on. Monetarily you might want to keep the miles down and keep it stock.
Of course then you get back to what fun is it if you can't drive it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 16 yr old stock truck that gives C6 Z06's fits...