Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 6-speed. Anything wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jjparkusa
Argree, but I am talking about taking a much bigger hit than with an automatic.
specifically a 6 speed with a sports pack db9, will hold its resale value the best out of all astons, except the dbs. it drives extremely well with these two options, but is not known due to the fact that only a dozen or so of these cars hit our shores every year. because it is so rare it maintains its value relative to other astons. if the op decided on an automatic he would actually experience more depreciation than with a 6 speed.

Originally Posted by Red Devil
The engine was quite "buzzy or tinny" sounding unless you really put your foot into it. The steering wheel had some peculiar clunk vibration you felt with any little bump. That was so bad ther HAD to be something wrong with this particular car. The suspension dampening seemed wrong to me in that medium bumps were felt pretty hard throughout, but the car wasn't razor's edge enough to justify that (no ultra-low profile tires, coil-overs, etc.). Power delivery was OK and I know the 09 fixes that some, as well as having the sports pack available. That would create a 150+ car that still might not be great in my eyes. No disrespect to those of you who love them, because it's a beautiful both inside and out. I just know that the way it drives isn't what I would want in my toy.
i have not driven a sports pack vantage, but if the difference is anything like it was on a db9 it may be worth a shot to go test drive a sports pack vantage with a six speed. it literally transforms the car in a db9 and i would assume that would be also true on a vantage. again, i dont know as i have yet to drive a vantage sports pack, but a test drive is free and worth a look.

Last edited by lawin; 09-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lawin
where did your friend get his tune? was it mail order or was it a custom tune? the reason i ask is because the only ecu tuner available is from paramount, but they do custom dyno tuning and it would be quite difficult and cumbersome to ship a db9 there and back. if he is going through someone here in the states i would love to know.
As a matter of fact, I think Paramount is doing the chip. The chip is removed Fedexed and sent back in 4-5 days. Yes your car has to be mothballed for a weekend or so. Call Hershel at RSC. I think that is the company he is working with on the Vantage ECU.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:20 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
The engine was quite "buzzy or tinny" sounding unless you really put your foot into it. The steering wheel had some peculiar clunk vibration you felt with any little bump. That was so bad ther HAD to be something wrong with this particular car. The suspension dampening seemed wrong to me in that medium bumps were felt pretty hard throughout, but the car wasn't razor's edge enough to justify that (no ultra-low profile tires, coil-overs, etc.). Power delivery was OK and I know the 09 fixes that some, as well as having the sports pack available. That would create a 150+ car that still might not be great in my eyes. No disrespect to those of you who love them, because it's a beautiful both inside and out. I just know that the way it drives isn't what I would want in my toy.
Something doesn't sound right. I have a ton of road construction around me and I don't notice any strange vibration. I know what you mean about the engine sound at low revs. The quicksilver exhaust changes everything.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Something doesn't sound right. I have a ton of road construction around me and I don't notice any strange vibration. I know what you mean about the engine sound at low revs. The quicksilver exhaust changes everything.
Yeah, the wheel thing was odd, almost as if the metal within the steering wheel was loose inside the housing and you could feel it move. I probably will let the salesman know to check it out b/c it just can't be the way it is. The engine sound I'm calling "buzzy" was eminating from the engine compartment and could only be drowned out by a louder exhaust, but it would still be there. As for trying a Vantage 6-sp with sports pack these would only be brand-new cars and I wouldn't consider doing that b/c of the monster depreciation it would see in the first few years. I agree that finding a DB9 with a stick and sports pack might be ideal but hard as hell. There are 1 or 2 out there nationally right now but I don't really have the time nor patience to fly somewhere to test-drive a car. I'm certain the dealer will get a 6-speed DB9 in eventually in a convertible and that will tell me 98% of what I'd need to know.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, the wheel thing was odd, almost as if the metal within the steering wheel was loose inside the housing and you could feel it move. I probably will let the salesman know to check it out b/c it just can't be the way it is. The engine sound I'm calling "buzzy" was eminating from the engine compartment and could only be drowned out by a louder exhaust, but it would still be there. As for trying a Vantage 6-sp with sports pack these would only be brand-new cars and I wouldn't consider doing that b/c of the monster depreciation it would see in the first few years. I agree that finding a DB9 with a stick and sports pack might be ideal but hard as hell. There are 1 or 2 out there nationally right now but I don't really have the time nor patience to fly somewhere to test-drive a car. I'm certain the dealer will get a 6-speed DB9 in eventually in a convertible and that will tell me 98% of what I'd need to know.
also keep in mind the coupe and convertible drive very differently. the chassis on the vert is soft while the chassis on the coupe is extremely rigid. just food for thought and trying help you spend your money LOL

btw, the sports pack is available as a retrofit to all vantages. so if you like the vantage and come across a screamin deal you can always put the pack on later.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
mdiez1 is on a distinguished road
The suspension dampening seemed wrong to me in that medium bumps were felt pretty hard throughout, but the car wasn't razor's edge enough to justify that (no ultra-low profile tires, coil-overs, etc.).
Red Devil,

I have had the same experience for 6500 miles on my 08 Vantage. Aston's suspension valving and spring rates need a lot of work. The car is very crashy over sharp bumps but wallows in hard curves...really weird. If the car was some hardcore track oriented sports car then I would understand the crashiness, but its not.

I drove an 09 DB9 Sportpack for about 10 minutes and it did feel slightly better than my Vantage, ride-wise. Maybe for 09 they finally got the valving and springs right. I still cringe at the idea of daily driving a Sportpack on the bad streets of Los Angeles.

My GT3RS is lowered with upgraded swaybars, toe steer kit, solid thrust arm bushings, dog bones and R compound Michelin MPSCs, and its still slightly more comfortable than the Vantage. The MPSCs provide most of the ride harshness. If it had regular PS2s, it would be tons more comfortable than the Vantage. Thats really unacceptable.

The DBS's Magneride suspension is excellent. Even with 20" wheels, the DBS is actually really comfortable. It doesn't crash over square edged bumps. Night and day difference between the DBS and the other Astons in that respect.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mdiez1
Red Devil,

I have had the same experience for 6500 miles on my 08 Vantage. Aston's suspension valving and spring rates need a lot of work. The car is very crashy over sharp bumps but wallows in hard curves...really weird. If the car was some hardcore track oriented sports car then I would understand the crashiness, but its not.

I drove an 09 DB9 Sportpack for about 10 minutes and it did feel slightly better than my Vantage, ride-wise. Maybe for 09 they finally got the valving and springs right. I still cringe at the idea of daily driving a Sportpack on the bad streets of Los Angeles.

My GT3RS is lowered with upgraded swaybars, toe steer kit, solid thrust arm bushings, dog bones and R compound Michelin MPSCs, and its still slightly more comfortable than the Vantage. The MPSCs provide most of the ride harshness. If it had regular PS2s, it would be tons more comfortable than the Vantage. Thats really unacceptable.

The DBS's Magneride suspension is excellent. Even with 20" wheels, the DBS is actually really comfortable. It doesn't crash over square edged bumps. Night and day difference between the DBS and the other Astons in that respect.
Thanks for your obviously experienced input which confirms my thoughts after the drive. I expected firm, yet comfortable, and it was nothing like that. Striking the balance is soooooooooo difficult and I've often found this to be one of the main reasons I don't like cars that I thought I would. In the sedan world, BMW IMO, is best at it and Porsche also does a great job. Again, this "seat-of-the-pants" feeling is most subjective and I know what I like and don't like. I will still eventually get me ride in a DB9 and it will probably turn out to be like you said. This is one of the main reasons my philosophy for the past 10 years is driving a car is a MUST for me before buying. I'd love a DBS, but the price and depreciation is prohibitive to me right now. While it won't depreciate like "regular" Astons, I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop 50% of it's original cost in 4 years.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 AM
mikemets is on a distinguished road
I drive my '08 DB9 with the sports pack as a daily driver here in NY. Can't wait to get in it again...I look for places to go

Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by mikemets
I drive my '08 DB9 with the sports pack as a daily driver here in NY. Can't wait to get in it again...I look for places to go
You sir, must have kidneys made of steel! Sportpack + NYC streets = teeth fillings and car interior coming loose!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Striking the balance is soooooooooo difficult and I've often found this to be one of the main reasons I don't like cars that I thought I would.
Soooooo true. Its really an art. Anyone can just make rollbars thicker or stiffer and spring rates stiff. Sure on a glass smooth surface the handling will improve greatly, but then you'll throw out your back on the first bump. I'm a big fan of the PASM and Magneride type of suspensions. They really allow you to have your cake and eat it too. Magneride should be on all the Astons.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
mikemets is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdiez1
You sir, must have kidneys made of steel! Sportpack + NYC streets = teeth fillings and car interior coming loose!
The only boroughs in NYC that the DB9 has seen are the Bronx and Queens.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Banned
lemansz20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I just did a search and found 6 manual cars haha, man they are rare. I will say goodluck to you, I have thougt about getting one but like you time is on my side and if I search and find one I like, ill probs buy on the spot.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by mikemets
The only boroughs in NYC that the DB9 has seen are the Bronx and Queens.
I give a lot of credit to those who drive sports cars in and around NYC/boroughs. I could never get my car off LI without losing the front spoiler to the Cross Island or Belt, and forget about Cross Bronx or Bronx River. I was actually hoping a A-M would free me from my borders, but so far I don't think so

Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM
OK so I drove an 07 convertible 6-speed and IMO it's so much better that way than the automatic. The V12 has alot of torque so it's quite at home loafing but it takes off when you want by virtue of being in the right gear. There's plenty of rigidity, and I'm sure the coupe would be even better. Now all I've got to do is wait for someone local to get a sports pack coupe with a manual and I'm good to go.

Oh, almost forgot. When I walked into the showroom for the test-drive, there sat a black/red Veyron and next to it a silver/black DBS. They'll both be at the Americana Concours (Roslyn) this Sunday, along with a ton of other beautiful stuff.

Last edited by Red Devil; 10-10-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
are you looking for new or used? i know of a new one that is for sale at our local dealership. the regional rep and the tech drove it out to my house to check on my car and the regional rep said this was probably the first time two db9 sport pack 6 speeds have ever been parked next to each other. i LOLed, but he said he was serious. i thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by lawin; 10-11-2008 at 12:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 6-speed. Anything wrong?