Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 6-speed. Anything wrong?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
DB9 6-speed. Anything wrong?

I've started nosing around DB9 coupes and probably would only consider a manual. I know this will be the rarest of the rare, but does anyone have experience with driving one to remark on it? I'm concerned it could be considered a "mismatch", like when BMW NA was "forced" to outfit the E60 M5 with a 6-speed and most considered it a bad match for the engine, which was designed to work with the SMG.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
mikemets is on a distinguished road
I've put almost 1,000 miles on my '08 DB9 in just a few weeks. I'm soooo glad I got the 6 speed manual, so much fun to drive. The car is ferocious. Don't let the gentlemanly looks fool you, this is a high performance sports car that excels as a manual. I think I would have been missing out with the paddles.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
oops, sorry

Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
my db9 sports pack with a 6-speed has been very good to me and is an absolute hoot to drive. the transmission is very good and the clutch grabs like crazy, it should as it is a twin disc. if the db9 did not have a more aggressive suspension and 6 speed transmission available i would have never jumped into the aston marque. its the complete opposite of a mismatch, it is the proper match. keep the sequential gearbox for the old guys that can't press in a heavy clutch, i will take the six speed LOL

btw, i have over 18k miles on my original clutch and still running strong.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by lawin
my db9 sports pack with a 6-speed has been very good to me and is an absolute hoot to drive. the transmission is very good and the clutch grabs like crazy, it should as it is a twin disc. if the db9 did not have a more aggressive suspension and 6 speed transmission available i would have never jumped into the aston marque. its the complete opposite of a mismatch, it is the proper match. keep the sequential gearbox for the old guys that can't press in a heavy clutch, i will take the six speed LOL

btw, i have over 18k miles on my original clutch and still running strong.
My experience is with the sports pack too...just a great drive.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Thanks for the input. Just very few 6-speeds out there in any color combo I'd like. Time is on my side so I'll keep looking.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Six speed is the way to go with the V12. Coming from a sports shift guy in a Vantage I can tell you that the Auto in the V12 is not satisfying. In fact, if you get the Sports pack and tweak the exhaust and chip, you'll add about 40HP. I was speaking to a friend who is in the process of doing this and he said that his car (07 DB9 6SP) will hang with a DBS. I came across a Metallic Black with Chancellor Red Int 6sp. If it were a Volante, I may have chosen it over the Vantage. You'll find that this car is not as nimble as your Turbo but the thrust and torque is awesome, not to mention the intoxication of the engine note. If you go with the coupe, consider the quicksilver exhaust/sports cats and chip. Keep in mind, all of the special Aston's(DBS and Vantage RS) have a V12 and a 6 speed. That should tell you something.

Last edited by jaymoney; 09-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm with all of you on the 6-speed thing because if I'm only going to drive the thing occassionally, there's no justification for an "auto". I'm sure as the evolution of double-clutches, PDK, SMG XX, etc. goes on there will be an eventual "best of both worlds" scenario. As is my MO when car-shopping, I'll eventually get seat-time and then be better able to know what a car is like. There have been a number of times I've spent a month or few trying to get behind the wheel of something I thought I would like, and then didn't. Just for S's & G's I will try a Vantage, which I'm sure will be a ton easier to find a 6-speed.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Six speed is the way to go with the V12. Coming from a sports shift guy in a Vantage I can tell you that the Auto in the V12 is not satisfying. In fact, if you get the Sports pack and tweak the exhaust and chip, you'll add about 40HP. I was speaking to a friend who is in the process of doing this and he said that his car (07 DB9 6SP) will hang with a DBS. I came across a Metallic Black with Chancellor Red Int 6sp. If it were a Volante, I may have chosen it over the Vantage. You'll find that this car is not as nimble as your Turbo but the thrust and torque is awesome, not to mention the intoxication of the engine note. If you go with the coupe, consider the quicksilver exhaust/sports cats and chip. Keep in mind, all of the special Aston's(DBS and Vantage RS) have a V12 and a 6 speed. That should tell you something.
where did your friend get his tune? was it mail order or was it a custom tune? the reason i ask is because the only ecu tuner available is from paramount, but they do custom dyno tuning and it would be quite difficult and cumbersome to ship a db9 there and back. if he is going through someone here in the states i would love to know.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
I drove a 2008 Vantage coupe 6-speed today and the car isn't for me, even with the extra HP available as an 09. The dealer said it will some time before they get a DB9 manual that I could drive, but they've got my number. As an aside, they already delivered 4 or 5 DBS's, but none were there to see.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
What didn't you like about the Vantage?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Hope you plan to keep it for a while because you will be killed on resale value.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned
lemansz20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
EVERY car if it doesnt cost 250k or more, just sucks on resale. Im sorry but NEVER purchase a car if your not mentally prepared to take a hit. Astons make not have the best resale value, but they are amazing cars and should be respected as such.`

Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lemansz20
EVERY car if it doesnt cost 250k or more, just sucks on resale. Im sorry but NEVER purchase a car if your not mentally prepared to take a hit. Astons make not have the best resale value, but they are amazing cars and should be respected as such.`
Argree, but I am talking about taking a much bigger hit than with an automatic.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by stearnsn
What didn't you like about the Vantage?
The engine was quite "buzzy or tinny" sounding unless you really put your foot into it. The steering wheel had some peculiar clunk vibration you felt with any little bump. That was so bad ther HAD to be something wrong with this particular car. The suspension dampening seemed wrong to me in that medium bumps were felt pretty hard throughout, but the car wasn't razor's edge enough to justify that (no ultra-low profile tires, coil-overs, etc.). Power delivery was OK and I know the 09 fixes that some, as well as having the sports pack available. That would create a 150+ car that still might not be great in my eyes. No disrespect to those of you who love them, because it's a beautiful both inside and out. I just know that the way it drives isn't what I would want in my toy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 6-speed. Anything wrong?