Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Volante - roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Jamezilla is on a distinguished road
DB9 Volante - roof problem

Hi all
The soft-top on my 2005 Volante is playing up - it wont open.

The soft-roof folds back and the rear window folds forward, but the rear decklid doesn't open and seems to be pulled even more 'closed' by the roof mechanism.

Any thoughts?
AM service have no idea - but say they need to remove pretty much the whole rear of the car to get to the latches under the cover!

Thanks in advance
James

Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM
lostinla is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is an ancient thread, but did you (or anyone else) ever figure out a solution? I've got the same thing happening with a 2006 Volante. Driving me nuts.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lostinla
I know this is an ancient thread, but did you (or anyone else) ever figure out a solution? I've got the same thing happening with a 2006 Volante. Driving me nuts.

Thanks!
most likely you're experiencing tonneau cover latch motor failure. Is the tonneau cover just lifting on one side, or not opening at all?

Old 06-04-2017, 03:45 AM
lostinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Timodc
most likely you're experiencing tonneau cover latch motor failure. Is the tonneau cover just lifting on one side, or not opening at all?
I think I'm seeing exactly what Jamezilla described: when putting the top down, it gets to the point where the front of the top is partially open and the tension bow is perpendicular to the tonneau cover (or roof lid, or whatever, depending on which AM manual you're reading). The top stops moving; this is when the tonneau cover would usually open to allow the top to fold into the space below.

But instead of opening, it appears to shift forward and down just a smidge, as though it's actually getting MORE tightly closed.

Some other observations:
  1. The hydraulic pump continues to run for as long as I keep the switch actuated.
  2. I've tried turning off the ignition switch and removing the key at this point. The top can be moved, but the tonneau cover is still locked down (both sides)
  3. Just before the tonneau cover does its little nudge, here is an initial audible *thunk* on the R side of the car only.
  4. If I jog the switch, the thunk repeats.
  5. If, after running the closure process past the thunk sound and slight movement/tightening of the tonneau cover, I then turn off the ignition and remove the key, there's more subtle thunk and the tonneau returns to its normal closed position.

It seems to me like the latches for the tonneau aren't releasing on EITHER side, despite the R-side thunk sound. A friend helped me and we lifted on both sides to no avail.

I think that perhaps the shift/closure is a red-herring and unrelated to the problem: the hydraulic pistons for the tonneau are applying upward force to the rear, but since the latches constrain the lid from moving, all it can do is pivot on the latch like a teeter-totter.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the tonneau isn't unlatching. If neither side is opening, it seems unlikely that both motors would fail at the same time, donchathink?

I really appreciate any advice you might offer. I'll follow this up with some questions under a new title, in the hopes it might draw a few more responses.

David

Old 06-22-2017, 03:25 AM
ResponseDiag is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Lostinla,
I have a similar problem with a customer's car. In fact I've nearly been in tears!
I have just found the double relay base.
Remove the left rear boot lining for access to the boot (trunk) fusebox. Unbolt and lift the fusebox, the double relay base is just laying underneath it, well it is in this one anyway. There has been water ingress and one of the relays is corroded. I am just about to replace the relays and clean up the socket and see if that makes it all work.
I suggest you go and check yours. if you find the same thing, then as well as cleaning the mess up I strongly advise that you fix the relay base to the panel so it does not lay in the water.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Guys look up my post there is a link to video and solution to this problem. It's very easy

Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Old 06-14-2019, 05:28 AM
Keith Penman is an unknown quantity at this point
hi i've just seen your post from 2017 i have a suspect latch problem as the cover is lifting on one side only, i'd be grateful for advice on access to the latch/cure
thanks
keith

Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Keith Penman
hi i've just seen your post from 2017 i have a suspect latch problem as the cover is lifting on one side only, i'd be grateful for advice on access to the latch/cure
thanks
keith
Take a look at the video in my post

if it’s only one side that is lifting then may be hydraulic pump is the problem.

Another trick is assist the roof in lifting by forcing it with hand while pressing the roof open switch at the same time
try lifting front and try lifting rear of convertible top (one at a time) and if the rest of the process continues and roof opens then it’s not hydraulic but sensor problem like mine described in the video

Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Keith Penman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your reply, i can see that the latch on one side hasn't opened, that`s why i'm i think its that not a sensor, i've since found a post on piston heads showing how to access the motor, which is know to suffer from water ingress, so hopefully that's where the fault will lie.
thanks
Keith

Old 11-23-2019, 12:29 PM
gtcoastie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all, new to Pistonheads and Vantage ownership. Having the same tonneau cover latching issue on my '09 Vantage. Started out of nowhere. Hear the clunk, electric latch motor continues to run, lid doesn't open, etc. Able to access via the latch pulls in the pax side battery box. Have tried a different latch ECU (behind the battery) and another latch switch shifting it to either side with no luck. I even adjusted both latch controllers and the roller pin on the tonneau cover with no joy. Any additional suggestions to the ones above? Nice thing is I'm getting good at manual top operation but not what I envisioned when I bought the car. Thanks much.
Regards,
Tad

Old 11-24-2019, 04:14 AM
gtcoastie is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=gtcoastie;4812738]Hi all, new to Pistonheads and Vantage ownership. Having the same tonneau cover latching issue on my '09 Vantage. Started out of nowhere. Hear the clunk, electric latch motor continues to run, lid doesn't open, etc. Able to access via the latch pulls in the pax side battery box. Have tried a different latch ECU (behind the battery) and another latch switch shifting it to either side with no luck. I even adjusted both latch controllers and the roller pin on the tonneau cover with no joy. Any additional suggestions to the ones above? Nice thing is I'm getting good at manual top operation but not what I envisioned when I bought the car. Thanks much.
Regards,
Tad[/QU

UPDATE: To those who read this thread in the future, unbeknownst to me there are several fuses that direct the movement of the tonneau. After checking and replacing boot fuse #1, problem solved! Enjoying top down motoring again. Nice thing is I know exactly how the roof mechanism works now!

Old 12-01-2019, 05:25 AM
Aston_noob is an unknown quantity at this point
DB9 and Vantage tonneau systems are vastly different. If you can open the tonneau manually on the Vantage, check that the cables are properly fitted into the latch assemblies. If not, refit then and secure them with a zip-tie.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:23 AM
Lane5335 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tonneau latches

Please help I have tried to fix my Tonneau latch covers motors. Both latches do not lock. The roof will open and close after hitting the roof close button twice. Have replace the CRM with a used one and it responds as the original 1 in the car thinking I have a short help.I have tested both motors and with external power can lock them. Not sure they are getting power how can I check.
Gregory

Old 02-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Registered PM
waqxwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Tonneau motor failure

Originally Posted by ResponseDiag
Hi Lostinla,
I have a similar problem with a customer's car. In fact I've nearly been in tears!
I have just found the double relay base.
Remove the left rear boot lining for access to the boot (trunk) fusebox. Unbolt and lift the fusebox, the double relay base is just laying underneath it, well it is in this one anyway. There has been water ingress and one of the relays is corroded. I am just about to replace the relays and clean up the socket and see if that makes it all work.
I suggest you go and check yours. if you find the same thing, then as well as cleaning the mess up I strongly advise that you fix the relay base to the panel so it does not lay in the water.
Good luck.
You posted this a few years ago, but curious if this relay base under the trunk fuse box was the source of the problem? I’ve got the tonneau motors out and neither of them is working. Problem is with the latches closing and putting roof up needing double press. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!