Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

No audio controls on a 07?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
No audio controls on a 07?

I heard from some dealers that 07 does not have audio controls on the steering wheels for radio/cd/mp3. Others claim that an 07 does have it. I heard only 08+ had but not 100% sure. Can anyone verify?

Also, what else other than cupholders redesign and mirror antenna (vs roof antenna on 07) is new on 08 from 07?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Correct on the audio controls not being on the steering wheel. It does have phone and cruise control buttons, though. No other changes that I know of other than what you mentioned.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
I may be the odd one here but I seldom use the radio/CD in my AM. I so rather hear the engine and the exhaust note unlike any other sport cars I've had in the past.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM
GameTheory is on a distinguished road
No audio controls on the steering wheel. Which I don't mind because its probably a 5 inch difference between steering wheel and volume control on the dash. The premium sound package is definitely worth it for me, I think it's a very respectable system.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
+1 on the best engine sound, no real need for audio controls on the steering wheel, and very good premium sound. Dash audio controls are very accessible, so I didn't find that to be a deal breaker.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
GameTheory is on a distinguished road
Off topic, but I think alot of the "luxuries" you'd come to expect from a car in AMV8's price range are unnecessary for a car with a cabin as small as the V8's. Things like dual climate control - are you really going to notice that your side is 68 degrees and the passenger side is 70? Heated seats are nice, but how often do you drive the car in sub-zero weather (yes, I get very tempted too, but still...). The DB9 definitely has some nicer trim options and steering wheel trim options than the Vantage, that's about it. I'd like to some storage in the center arm rest.

Agreed that the engine noise is among the best not to mention very distinguishable. The V12 Vantage just sounds mean, too.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Centurion is a jewel in the roughCenturion is a jewel in the roughCenturion is a jewel in the roughCenturion is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kamran
I may be the odd one here but I seldom use the radio/CD in my AM. I so rather hear the engine and the exhaust note unlike any other sport cars I've had in the past.
Same here

Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Detailed list of changes from MY07 to MY08

Originally Posted by jyeh74
I heard from some dealers that 07 does not have audio controls on the steering wheels for radio/cd/mp3. Others claim that an 07 does have it. I heard only 08+ had but not 100% sure. Can anyone verify?

Also, what else other than cupholders redesign and mirror antenna (vs roof antenna on 07) is new on 08 from 07?
jyeh74 -

07 models do not have steering wheel controls for the audio
The cupholder and antenna changes occurred on 2008 models.

Detailed list of changes from MY07 to MY08

Centre Armrest and Cubby Box
A leather trimmed centre armrest including a cubby box with lid and cup holder is introduced as standard on both V8 Vantage and DB9. With a useful 2 liters of storage, this space has been designed to hold a large combination of items including up to 6 CD cases, greatly increasing the practicality of the interior. The new auxiliary audio connections and a power socket are housed inside to conceal a connected iPod or charging phone. Immediately on front of the cubby box is an open trinket tray that incorporates a metal cup holder capable of holding two small bottles of water It includes a twin cup holder. The initial computer aided drawings below shows the overall design of new box and armrest.

Satellite Radio (USA only)
A fully integrated satellite radio system has been developed for Aston Martin vehicles. The option will be made available with a life time subscription to Sirius. Providing the customer with value for money and avoiding the need for renewals. This process is designed to minimise the administration burden, further details will follow.

Using Satellite radio
This system uses a similar interface to that of the iPod/USB system;
- Using the mode button scroll to either SR1 or SR2.
- There are 2 channels due to the sheer volume of radio stations available on this service
- The menu lists out categories/genres
- In each categories are a number of stations
- Stations presets; can be made in the same way they are made in AM/FM mode by pressing and holding the desired preset number.

New Bluetooth Telephone System
Phone book access replacing voice recognition

A new Bluetooth telephone preparation replaces the previous voice activated Bluetooth system and the GSM integrated telephone option (where available).

The key features of the new Bluetooth system are:
- Controlled via the updated steering wheel controls (as previously stated)
- Displays menus and calls via current screen in the centre console.
- Will provide handsfree calls on many modern phones
- Subject to phone compatibility,
- Contacts/phonebook lists from your phone are uploaded to the vehicle
- Allows easy access to the last 10 numbers dialled and last 10 numbers received
- Recognises voice tags (These are voice recognition tracks saved jn your phone against selected numbers, when one of these is commanded to the system the corresponding number will be rung.)

- To address the fast moving consumer goods industry the new Bluetooth system can [sic]
- Upgrades will be made available as they are found necessary.
- Replaces voice activation

The new Bluetooth system is compatibility [sic] with a wider range of phone models than its predecessor. In addition, the system can subsequently be upgraded using the Aston Martin Diagnostic System (AMOS) as new phones become available

All markets are now covered by the new Bluetooth telephone system. For new markets, the system will be fitted as standard to DB9 (with vehicle pricing increased accordingly) and as an option on V8 Vantage.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Standard fit for steering wheel controls to adjust audio settings

The controls on the left side of the steering wheel are updated from the previous controls for the Bluetooth system as illustrated below. These buttons continue to control the Bluetooth system in addition [sic] control functions of the audio system.

MP3 Device Audio Connection
Integrated connection for Apple iPod and generic USB music storage devices

An integrated connection for personal music devices is introduced as standard for V8 Vantage and DB9 at 08MY.

There are two new ways to provide music to the vehicle audio system
- Apple iPod with dock connector
- Compatible with iPod Generation 3-5 including Video and iPod Nano
- Connects via proprietary iPod cable (provided with the car)
- Generic USB storage device loaded with supported music files.

The connections for this system are situated inside the new centre cubby box allowing the connected device to be stored out of sight.

Selecting a device
The following apply to both iPod and USB functions
- The "CD" button on the left of the CD slot now changes to a "MODE" button.
- This mode button is used to scroll through the audio inputs (CD, iPod, USB)
- All controls are via the audio controls on the centre console

Navigating through menus
The right rotary control's (with the musical note symbol) operation has been changed.
- This control provides a scroll function
- It can be turned to highlight the desired item and depressed to select the
highlighted item.
- The audio settings function this control previously fulfilled is still available
- Depress and hold this control for 2 seconds to access the menu for the bass/treble/ balance/ fader/ subwoofer levels
- The exit button moves the choice back through the menu structure

iPod specific features
- iPod will charge when connected and the ignition is on
- When connected the iPod is treated like a hard drive and no longer needs to be handled
- Menu and title structure mimics that of the iPod

USB device
Devices that can be used in the new USB port include
- Flash drive
- Flash disk
- USB based personal audio device
- iPod shuffle (requires the lead/cradle that is used to upload music files from a computer to make the connection)
Once a USB device is connected the device no longer needs to be handled.

Specific types of music files can be read and played by the audio system via the USB port, these include
- WMA (Windows Media Audio)
- WAV (Waveform audio format)
- MP3 (compressed music files)
Some personal audio devices use brand specific music formats that may not be supported by the new Aston Martin solution

The file structure displayed on the centre console is similar to that used in Windows

Retrofitting
This system uses a number of new components most importantly the display screen (ICM) in the centre console. Retrofitting is not straight forward and although we are working on an alternative solution, it is unlikely to be available before 2008. Further details will follow when confirmed.

Windscreen Mounted Radio Antenna
Exterior antenna on VB Vantage removed, heated front screen no longer available

In line with the technology employed in VB Vantage Roadster from launch, the AM/FM antenna moves to the front windscreen on both DB9 and V8 Vantage Coupe. This action removes the need for an external aerial on the VB Vantage Coupe and improves radio reception on DB9 in areas of weak signal. Further improvements in radio quality are achieved by disabling the Dolby pro-logic 5.1 when in AM/FM mode.

Please note that with the screen mounted antennae the heated front screen option .is no longer available on any model.

Redesign of Sun Visor and Vanity Mirrors
The sun visor and vanity mirror have been redesigned for visual appearance and function

The new sun visor and vanity mirror has been redesigned to improve levels of craftsmanship and improved appearance. Though the overall shape of the visor has not changed, the Vanity mirror will now be surrounded by a metal bezel and covered.

Memory Mirrors
As part of memory seats

At 08MY VB Vantage exterior mirror positions will be memorised with a seat setting (in line with DB9). The memory mirror function is included with the V8 Vantage memory seat option.

Further Languages Available on Message Centres
More languages available in the driver information displays

From 08MY the languages available to select for display in the Driver Information Module (DIM) and Audio information display increases with the following additional languages:
- Russian
- Greek
- Chinese

These languages can be selected from the factory on DCS or subsequently changed by your service team.