Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Prospective 2009 Vantage Owner Has Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Montalvo is on a distinguished road
Prospective 2009 Vantage Owner Has Questions

I test-drove a 2009 Vantage (automatic) last weekend and believe I want to buy one but have a number of questions and would appreciate any answers, opinions and advice you can offer.

1. The nearest dealer is almost 100 miles away. How inconvenient will that prove to be, based on likely warranty repairs, service, etc.

2. It appears that there are lots of low-mileage Vantages around, perhaps due to the recession. I'm sure I'd save a bundle but do you see anything I should be concerned about that wouldn't be covered by CarFax and an inspection? Should I avoid private party sales?

3. The local dealer volunteered to search the US dealer database to find a new gray/gray car we are looking for. But since most dealers advertise on e-Bay, etc., will I likely pay more by having my dealer get it for me vs. buying direct from an out-of-state dealer? And will my local dealer be a jerk if I've bought from an out-of-state dealer?

4. The test drive felt great...except for one thing. It felt like there was an unexpected hesitation during hard acceleration (i.e., flooring it, causing it to downshift while in automatic mode). I didn't pay attention to whether the same delay occurred when using the paddle-shifters. Is that normal? Clearly, this car is quick at 0-60 under five seconds but the hesitation bothered me.

5. Any recommendations on options, e.g., what to definitely get or not get? Living in CA, I'm certain I could live without a $230 umbrella w/ holder but I suspect that virtually all of the cars will come with lots of options I won't necessarily need.

6. This car is replacing a 1997 Jaguar XK8 that we bought new. I know we'll miss the huge trunk. Anything else about the AM Vantage that might disappoint us? I'm not trying to talk myself out of this purchase but would like to go in with both eyes open.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I'll try and answer the questions but first ...have you seen/read about the 2010 Jag ... w/ 510 HP ... and you have to almost look twice to make sure it is a Jag vs. AM ??? AND it costs less ... don't get me wrong I love my Vantage but there is some stiff competition around the corner ...

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Michael, I'm hoping that Jag's competition will help me to negotiate a better price but I don't like the styling on the XK's. They've changed from the retro-look of the first year model that I like. This will be my wife's car and she's really taken with the Vantage. I think she'd like a cool looking sports car with 150hp so the increase in power of the new XKR is of no consequence. Thanks for the suggestion in any case and I'd like to hear any info you can provide on my questions.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
OK here goes :

1) I only had a couple of issues w/ car (now 2 years old) and dealer provided a car while mine was in the shop. I have actually not heard about the issues I had for the 2009 models so I will guess AM has done their homework and made the correct upgrades or fixes. My dealer is 35 miles away. Some 6speeders have said dealer will actually pick up their car if a warrenty issue (flatbed truck) ...
2) Private party sales are an age old question ... I have sold most of my cars to friends and they were happy campers. Of course you hear the nightmares too. Absolutely have the car checked out if buying ... whether from a dealer or private party. Of course age of car will depend if a warrenty is offered. AM offers an extended warrenty and you can read comments about that in threads here on 6speed. The 2009 car is better (a few things) but will cost more than a 2007-2008. Just depends on what is important to you. The 2009 was not worth the extra money for me to trade in ... and yes the used market is way down thus great for buyers ... this goes for all makes. BTW Carfax does not tell you everything about a used car - I know a few horror stories but still a good idea to pull one up on car.
3) You know I never had an issue w/ buying a car and having it serviced at a different dealer ... sales and maintenance arre 2 different departments. Then again did a get a little extra when I bought the car there ... I like to think so ... key word ... maybe. But shopping your dealer for best price is a good idea ...
4) I own a 6 speed but have driven the auto/paddle 2009 and yes there was a difference in the car I drove and AM rep said this is normal. Auto mode and paddle mode are mapped differently ... you are actually shofting in the paddle mode ... not some pre-mapped computer.
5) I think in the US the Vantage is optioned to the hilt. I do recommend the suspension/handling package ... also an option you can retro fit to an earlier car. Drive the 2 versions ... you will feel the difference ... my wife did too.
6) I have a coupe - wife and I have taken a 10 day trip in the car ... and she packs more than one pair of shoes if you get my drift. Remove the rear shade screen and load it up. Also room behing the seats on the shelf.

Hope this helps ... BTW I went from a very modded 996TT to the Vantage ... have done a few mods and after 2 years still very happy ... just get ready for people to stop and look ... even in car crazy Miami ...

Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks, Michael!

Good insights...thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're looking at the convertible so the luggage issue will likely be more of a concern for us than what you've experienced. The new XK's are little better than the Vantage insofar as trunk space. In 2008, they adopted an automatic tonneau cover...cool, but the trunk space got cut in half. Guess you can't have everything.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Sea Biscuit is on a distinguished road
If you can, wait a week or 2...the 2010 model info will be out shortly.

From another website, rumors are that Xenon headlamps will now be standard for the Vantage. Also the clear rear lights will now be an option. New red colour called Magma Red will also be available if red is your colour. Also new option will be perforated leather.

That's all i know for now and still all rumor but official info will be out shortly.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks, SB. Another good thought...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 PM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
your wife got a good taste in cars - but honestly my wife's new XK gets always confused with my DBS .........

i think the new 510 hp XK SC is a good option to a Vantage imho.....

Last edited by XXXAngelXXX; 06-09-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Angel. Yep, they really do look similar...from the front. I much prefer the rear of the AM, but then I'm an ***-man. I suspect that if you're only looking for blow-out 0-60 times at the lowest price, you'd probably get the new Nissan GT-R. But the AM has a panache that really makes it truly special. Maybe it's that 007 (Connery) heritage...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 PM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by Montalvo
Thanks, Angel. Yep, they really do look similar...from the front. I much prefer the rear of the AM, but then I'm an ***-man. I suspect that if you're only looking for blow-out 0-60 times at the lowest price, you'd probably get the new Nissan GT-R. But the AM has a panache that really makes it truly special. Maybe it's that 007 (Connery) heritage...

i have to agree but one Aston is enough for us

btw i couldn't convince her to buy a convertible XK......

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
How much is an extended warranty on a Vantage 06-07 and is 65K with mods and 11K miles a godd deal if car is immaculate and 6 speed?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 AM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
I can see what you mean they are both "CARS" People often confuse me with Brad Pitt since we are both guys WTF!!!!

Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
your wife got a good taste in cars - but honestly my wife's new XK gets always confused with my DBS .........

i think the new 510 hp XK SC is a good option to a Vantage imho.....

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
GameTheory is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GT650-25
How much is an extended warranty on a Vantage 06-07 and is 65K with mods and 11K miles a godd deal if car is immaculate and 6 speed?
Depends on what mods, but I think 65 for an 06 is on the cheaper side, for an 07 is a phenomenal deal. You can search the forums but I think most people have paid around 4000 for extended dealer warranties, while third parties have been less (for longer periods).