Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch life thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Clutch life thread

If you have had to replace your clutch at what mileage and how do you drive? Also if you own a high mileage Vantage and have not had to replace your clutch let us know that. Also is it a manual or Sportshift?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Looks like this is not an issue. The few posters that have had any problems must be from one off issues. Thanks

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
i have an 07 db9 with a manual with 24k miles on the original clutch. i drive it like i stole it and also have several trackdays on it. she still pulls strong.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
My 07 Vantage has 7k miles, and the clutch is just fine.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PitbullSL500
Looks like this is not an issue. The few posters that have had any problems must be from one off issues. Thanks
I've spoken to a bunch of Aston techs about this and the strange thing is that every single one of them said that all the clutches they have changed, Aston Martin wanted them sent back to the factory. This might be standard practise for Aston and it could be that all are warranty or agreed fixes but there's certainly a few being done. Will be interesting to see as time goes on what the average life is like.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 AM
rick-dms- is on a distinguished road
Clutch replacement on the V8 Vantage is one of the more common jobs we do, we have replaced them as low as 7000 miles, please note this is on hire cars that on the whole are not driven properly or seriously abused, leading factors in high clutch wear seem to be resting the foot on the clutch whilst driving and holding the car on the clutch in slow moving traffic, on the other side i see cars that have done 40000 miles and still have not had the clutch replaced, some of these cars are driven shall we say quite hard with no signs of clutch wear, first signs of slipping does not always seem to be when pulling away but more on fast roads when changing from third to fourth whilst accelerating hard,

Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
duncan swezey is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2007 with 13k miles on it and had to replace the clutch within 1000, miles , but have no real info of what type of driver had it before me . It ended up costing me about $4000 to put a new one in , not a big deal as I paid about $67,000 for the car . Betting he knew he needed the clutch.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by duncan swezey
I bought a 2007 with 13k miles on it and had to replace the clutch within 1000, miles , but have no real info of what type of driver had it before me . It ended up costing me about $4000 to put a new one in , not a big deal as I paid about $67,000 for the car . Betting he knew he needed the clutch.
I'm interested to know, would you have been interested in replacing it with an uprated clutch & lightweight flywheel if one was available? If so, what would you see as a reasonable premium over the OE item assuming this was better quality etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I would have considered it , I was somewhat handcuffed at the time, the car was at an Aston dealer and they wanted $6k to do the deal , I pulled it out and had it done away from them . If I knew it was a better fix to install and upgraded clutch i would assume $1000-1500 buck more , but for that price I would have paid it . let me know what you do , just in case I have an issue in the future.Thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor
I would have considered it , I was somewhat handcuffed at the time, the car was at an Aston dealer and they wanted $6k to do the deal , I pulled it out and had it done away from them . If I knew it was a better fix to install and upgraded clutch i would assume $1000-1500 buck more , but for that price I would have paid it . let me know what you do , just in case I have an issue in the future.Thanks
Thanks Duncan that's very helpful - we're working on an uprated unit so it's useful to know people's thoughts. Did you replace or machine the flywheel on your car or was it not too badly worn?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Is RSC thinking about doing any type of CAI?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM
My car partner took care of it , not sure how they handled that , What part of the country are you in ? Are you guys a performance shop?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
My car partner took care of it , not sure how they handled that , What part of the country are you in ? Are you guys a performance shop?
We have an office in Miami and an office in London. Not a performance shop but a manufacturer of performance and styling products for Sports and Luxury vehicles (mostly Sports really). Our two big areas are Aston & Lambo although we're branching out into Audi R8, Ferrari, Maserati etc. Lots of shops and main dealers sell our stuff.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by markesq
Help me out, not familiar with that acronym (I'm blaming cultural differences???)

Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
ddozier is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by markesq
Cold Air Intake, ussually consists of relocating the filter to a fender or away from engine heat, and smoothing the air path by replacing the inlet tube and baffles with a straight smooth pipe of some sort.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch life thread