Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

sports pack vs. non sports pack? how does the ride quality compare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
motap is on a distinguished road
sports pack vs. non sports pack? how does the ride quality compare

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the ride quality on the sports pack vs. non sports pack cars? Also, where would a pre 09 car fall between these?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I don't know if you are asking about a DB9, but since I have that I'll give you my 2 cents: Coming from Porsche & BMW for 10+ years, I tend to favor "firm". A DB9 isn't a pure sports car by any means and some would argue it isn't a sports car at all. For me it depends upon your personal taste and past frames of reference. Anyway, I liked the DB9 much more than the Vantage but didn't want to spring for the almost 100 grand extra (at the time) for the brand-new to market DBS. I drove one automatic non-sports pack DB9 and then 2 manual sports pack cars, one of which I bought. The driving difference wasn't huge and the cost was shy of 4 grand which got you (right from AM):
From July, Aston Martin will offer the option of a factory fitted ‘Sports Pack’ specification for the DB9 Coupe, combining revised suspension characteristics with a new alloy wheel design to give subtly different driving dynamics.
The new five-spoke forged aluminium alloy wheels are lighter than the standard wheels, the springs and front anti-roll bar are modified and the ride height lowered.
Taking the DB9’s VH architecture as its foundation and retuning some of its key components, the DB9 Sports Pack offers an even more focussed driving experience, with improvements to both high-speed body control and steering response. That means a DB9 Coupe specifically for the enthusiastic driver with a high level of driving skill, who likes to drive quickly, safely and with precision.
The first key to the sharper dynamic balance is a significant reduction in ‘unsprung’ mass which indirectly allows the suspension to react more quickly to inputs such as bumps and cornering forces - resulting in improved grip, steering response, body control and ride quality.

With the DB9 Sports Pack, each five-spoke light alloy wheel gives an unsprung weight saving of more than 1kg, with a small but significant additional saving from the use of titanium wheel nuts. In total, that equates to more than five per cent reduction in unsprung weight on each corner of the car. The new, lighter 19-inch wheels are the same size as the standard wheel and use the same Bridgestone tyre.
The DB9 Sports Pack’s spring rates are increased by 68 per cent at the front of the car and 64 per cent at the rear. The front anti-roll bar is modified, and the dampers are revised to support the new spring and anti-roll bar characteristics. Together, the changes optimise body control and front-end grip without compromising ride quality or adding weight. The ride height is reduced by 6mm, lowering the car’s centre of gravity and further reducing body roll while leaving ample ground clearance and backed up by modified bump stops.
The composite undertray is also replaced, by a load-bearing aluminium panel that performs the same function in managing underbody airflow while adding further structural stiffness, to resist larger lateral loads fed into the front of the car by the uprated front springs and anti-roll bar.
The cumulative effect is significantly improved dynamic response, and especially steering feel - making the DB9 feel lighter, more positive on turn-in, more agile and more involving for the enthusiastic driver. Body control is especially enhanced during high speed manoeuvres, giving the DB9 a more neutral handling feel.
Aston Martin Sales & Marketing Director, Bill Donnelly, says: “This optional Sports Pack will offer driving enthusiasts the opportunity to tailor their DB9 Coupe to deliver an even more rewarding dynamic experience. The Sports Pack offers another addition to the Aston Martin range and provides customers with an even greater choice and the ability to further personalise their DB9.”

Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks, I should have specified the vantage, but I'm interested in the DB9 as well...so good to know. It seems like there aren't many used 07/08 DB9 coupes available...everything is a convertible.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by motap
Thanks, I should have specified the vantage, but I'm interested in the DB9 as well...so good to know. It seems like there aren't many used 07/08 DB9 coupes available...everything is a convertible.
I'm not sure of the exact percentage but heard it was something like 90% convertible to 10% coupe. Since there's not a lot of Astons to begin with that would make coupes kind of scarce.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM
astonboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a V8V sports pack. Honestly, we as average drivers will feel two differences: the price and the wheel design. There is not much difference in driving, that "unsprung weight" reduction is only a hype. If you like the 5-spoke-wheels go for sports pack, if not leave it and spend the money for something else.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 PM
good to know, I found an amv8 I like with sports pack, but don't want an overly stiff ride.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
I haven't driven a Vantage with the sports suspension but I remember reading a review that said it was pretty stiff, perhaps too much so for the "typical" driver.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by motap
good to know, I found an amv8 I like with sports pack, but don't want an overly stiff ride.
A set of our springs will sort that right out. That's exactly the reason we had them made - just to get that initial little bit of travel softened up a bit, without drastically changing the overall dynamics of the car.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
StuM is on a distinguished road
V8V Sports suspension

I extensively tested both forms of v8V and bought the '09 sports suspension, convt model. In reality, I found the general ride comfort/harshness to be about the same in the two, but clearly the sports suspension offered better handling and corning, with less body roll. Unfortunately the car had major, un-fixable mechanical problems and AM had to take it back. I'm now in an '09 DBS and the ride comfort, with its ADS, is miles ahead of the V8V and DB9. A VAST improvement over the other two models.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by astonboy
I have a V8V sports pack. Honestly, we as average drivers will feel two differences: the price and the wheel design. There is not much difference in driving, that "unsprung weight" reduction is only a hype. If you like the 5-spoke-wheels go for sports pack, if not leave it and spend the money for something else.
"unsprung weight reduction" is not hype, however it will have minimal impact if this car is only used on the street. If you plan to take it on the track, or if you live in Germany (or plan on abusing the speed limits until they throw you in jail), it will make a difference.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by StuM
I extensively tested both forms of v8V and bought the '09 sports suspension, convt model. In reality, I found the general ride comfort/harshness to be about the same in the two, but clearly the sports suspension offered better handling and corning, with less body roll. Unfortunately the car had major, un-fixable mechanical problems and AM had to take it back. I'm now in an '09 DBS and the ride comfort, with its ADS, is miles ahead of the V8V and DB9. A VAST improvement over the other two models.
You are comparing apples, oranges & bananas in the V8V, DB9 & DBS. IMO with the technology available, almost all sports/exotic/performance car makers who's car is primarily designed for the street should now be offering a fully adjustable suspension. At least 3 modes should be offered: regular, firm and track. Cars like the GT3RS, Scud, SV, etc. wouldn't necessarily have to follow that because we all know a really well-sorted suspension can be great. Someday we may have full-on electronics capable of being the best of all worlds based upon the subjective evaluation/opinion of the driver. Until then, the only way to truly know what you like is to drive it b/c what I like or think is too soft/firm may be nothing like someone else's opinion.