Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Installed New Pedal for Heel Toe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4637101

Any car that isn't tuned to get the most out of its performance could benefit from new code.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Mathman - have you experimented with running the lower corner of the brake pedal just in side the ball of your foot. It takes some getting used to, but by trapping your heel on the floor and rotating off the inside of the ball, you can generate quite a bit of controlled braking force at the corner of the brake pedal. This allows for a lot of throttle control on the right side of your foot. It looks like you are covering a lot of the brake pedal with your foot. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for the widened pedal and have one installed. On my Mustang I used the "bend the pedal where you want it" method. Over the last few years I have gone further and further right on the bake pedal, braking from the inside of the ball.

You might slip off a couple of times

chr

Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by era2076
Mathman - have you experimented with running the lower corner of the brake pedal just in side the ball of your foot. It takes some getting used to, but by trapping your heel on the floor and rotating off the inside of the ball, you can generate quite a bit of controlled braking force at the corner of the brake pedal. This allows for a lot of throttle control on the right side of your foot. It looks like you are covering a lot of the brake pedal with your foot. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for the widened pedal and have one installed. On my Mustang I used the "bend the pedal where you want it" method. Over the last few years I have gone further and further right on the bake pedal, braking from the inside of the ball.

You might slip off a couple of times

chr

As I mentioned in the post, if I moved my foot over any further, I'd have a lot less stability on the brakes (the ball of my foot was on the rightmost edge of the brake pedal--my photo is just taken a little bit to the right, so it's hard to see that). When it comes to "which pedal is the most important to have control over," I'd say it's the brake pedal. I thought about bending it, but I have a psychological block against bending anything on an Aston Martin. In the end, I love the Ultimate Pedal. I just need to bring myself to get the Velocity AP tune to help with the throttle response, a bit.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mathman85
(the ball of my foot was on the rightmost edge of the brake pedal--
oops - missed it

I wouldn't bend it either. A Mustang is a whole different animal.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:53 AM
Floris is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I don't think I can put their link on here, since they aren't sponsors, but just google "ultimate pedals". Give them a call and the price will depend on what you want done. They will custom make you any type of pedal you want.

Of course, I didn't take the pedal off before I ordered, so I didn't realize that there was a rubber pad that fit into the brake pedal bed. Probably if I had to order again, I would specify the 1/2 inch extension to be undrilled. Tell the guys at ultimate pedal that you want the holes completely drilled through, except for the screw hole sites. That way you can just flip in the stock rubber pad directly into the new pedal.

For me 1/2 inch is perfect, but I know obssesed liked 1 inch. If you're coming from a Porsche, the 1/2 inch feels very close to how the Porsche pedals feel. It's a little different, since the Porsche pedals come down at an angle, while the AM pedals come straight down.

I think you'll be very happy!
Hi,

thanks the the write-up and tips, especially the one on how to re-use the stock rubber instead of having to use cardboard. However, I’m wondering why you said “Probably if I had to order again, I would specify the 1/2 inch extension to be undrilled.” Why is that? You suggest the extension not to have the 4 rubber pads?

Regards,

Floris

PS: I was surprised to see that many people afterwards still choose to use cardboard or rubber instead of using the original rubber (if they would have asked to have the holes drilled all the way through)

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Floris
Hi,

thanks the the write-up and tips, especially the one on how to re-use the stock rubber instead of having to use cardboard. However, I’m wondering why you said “Probably if I had to order again, I would specify the 1/2 inch extension to be undrilled.” Why is that? You suggest the extension not to have the 4 rubber pads?

Regards,

Floris

PS: I was surprised to see that many people afterwards still choose to use cardboard or rubber instead of using the original rubber (if they would have asked to have the holes drilled all the way through)
He hasn't been on in a bit, so I'll give what I believe to be his reasoning: for heel-toe maneuvers, as the side of your foot depresses the throttle, it can help to have a pedal that slips a bit under your foot, since there is a natural rotation due to the brake not depressing at the same rate. The rubber pads grip your shoe a bit.

You could always choose to remove the rubber pads, if they were a hindrance. And with some shoes, this is less of an issue, as well.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi Mathman,

Thanks for your input; I understand the reasoning behind his remark now, thanks.
As several others have ordered the pedal as-is, I guess it should be ok and if not, you can indeed always remove some of the rubber bits. I’ll be mostly needing the rev matching during track days, so it’s an easy fix.
👍🏼.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:17 PM
NiceAst is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for reviving this golden thread! I've been struggling with downshifts and came to the same conclusion that the accelerator pedal could benefit from being a tad bit wider. This is exactly what I was looking for. I placed my order this afternoon and I'm looking forward to quality heel/toe downshifts in the Aston!

Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by NiceAst
Thanks for reviving this golden thread! I've been struggling with downshifts and came to the same conclusion that the accelerator pedal could benefit from being a tad bit wider. This is exactly what I was looking for. I placed my order this afternoon and I'm looking forward to quality heel/toe downshifts in the Aston!
🙂.
Share your experience after installing it. I’m about to order 3 gas pedals, 2 of them are for fellow V8V owners. We are considering to add a logo, as one of our mates did:

Old 04-03-2020, 07:57 AM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
Might order this, however what I need is a smaller dead pedal. Gets in the way of the clutch pedal.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Received my pedal a while ago and finally got around to installing it this weekend. It really does work great. It's amazing that just an extra 1/2 inch in the width of the pedal can make such a difference.

While Seattle used cardboard to fill in the depression in the pedal arm (the rubber substrate for the cylindrical nubs seats in that depression), I wanted to use a resilient element similar to the original. I wasn't sure where to get rubber sheeting, so I just went to Home Depot to see what I could find. What I found is vinyl garage door weatherstripping that is about the same thickness as the OE substrate. It cost about $7. All I did was cut out a shape similar to the OE substrate. Worked perfectly. Pics below.

Attachment 494819

Attachment 494820

Attachment 494821

Attachment 494822

Attachment 494823
Hi,

I talked to Rob from Ultimate Pedals and he says it’s not necessary to add a piece of carton / rubber. Why do you reckon it’s better?

Old 04-13-2020, 06:01 PM
Julioz32 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:43 AM
Sir Rothschild will become famous soon enoughSir Rothschild will become famous soon enough
Anyone have a link for this peddle?

Old 02-26-2022, 11:00 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all