Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How to access back of radio for AUX-In install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
beejohn is on a distinguished road
How to access back of radio for AUX-In install?

Hi Everyone,

I'm here trying to help a buddy of mine out install an an Aux-in adapter into his Aston Martin Vantage. I have done radio installs before in lower-end cars (Audi) but not on a hand built vehicle before. I heard it is easier to work on the Aston because it is hand built so they have the assembly process thought out.

This is the aux in adapter I am getting for him:
http://www.navtv.com/product/53/most-aux-aston.html?forceShowProduct=1

I know I need to find out from him if his car has an in-dash cd changer (to my knowledge he does not) or if it has bluetooth (i don't think he has this either). I will check with him today and report back. But does anyone know how to get access to the back of the radio unit to plug this sucker in? Is it a difficult process? I remember seeing some pictures on this forum that made it look quite easy to take off the face of the radio.

I've included the instructions from NAV-TV who only show how to plug it into the back of the radio. Basically the module puts itself inline with the optical ring and has a switch to turn on AUX. it is a direct connection just before the amplifier so it will have very high quality audio depending on the source that is plugged in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-19-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Active link to a commercial non sponsor
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
FYI - not much help but ... I just had BLVD Customs (St Pete FL) install a JL Audio fiber adapter kit that gave me Sat radio and iPod connection for my 2007 V8V. Yes, I have in dash multi CD system that as factory option stock so it can be done. With all wires, antenna and things hidden in a professional manner this was not an easy job - for a pro it still took about a day. I have installed a few systems in lessor cars but the AM interior kept me from trying this one - just did not want to screw something up that would cost $$$ if I did.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
FYI - not much help but ... I just had BLVD Customs (St Pete FL) install a JL Audio fiber adapter kit that gave me Sat radio and iPod connection for my 2007 V8V. Yes, I have in dash multi CD system that as factory option stock so it can be done. With all wires, antenna and things hidden in a professional manner this was not an easy job - for a pro it still took about a day. I have installed a few systems in lessor cars but the AM interior kept me from trying this one - just did not want to screw something up that would cost $$$ if I did.
Thanks for the advice, how much did the whole installation end up costing you?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM
thoughtntheory is on a distinguished road
Controls

What type of control do you have to iPod with that type of connection? It'd be cool to control from the actual stereo but I guess controlling it with the iPod and having it charge is the bare minimum to using one.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
With the above module it is only a mini plug that connects to the iPod. No steering wheel controls will be active.

There are other modules that have that functionality. I believe the cheapest I found was $750 from the UK (parrot/patriot? I forgot it is in the archives on this forum if you search for iPod).

And there is also an FM modulator with very good quality audio. It has TEXT display from your iPod which makes it almost like a factory integration, very cool if you ask me.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Here is a link to the Kensington FM modulator with TEXT:
http://forums.ilounge.com/attachment...od-install.pdf

Attached Files
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
The JL Audio kit has a small switch (under dash) - on for Sat Radio or iPod control, off for Std radio and CD. Control of iPod and sat radio are from each of their own head units not the AM dash unit. That was fine for me.
AM does make their own kit for retro fit of earlier V8V and I believe it does allow control from the dash/head unit - it does iPod not sure about Sat Radio capability.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
markesq has a spectacular aura aboutmarkesq has a spectacular aura about
Michael what was the total cost?

Where did you hide the Ipod plug?

This is a plug in, not a FM modulator?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 AM
The total JL Audio kit/install was about $1200 depending on where you want the module. I went for "in the glove box" w/ both Sat Radio and iPod plug in. Yes this is a real plug in - not FM modulator.
The Sat Radio head unit could go where the ash tray is - you would loose the little door and what is underneath but the unit I bought would fit nicely, flush mount. I went w/ glove box - not sure why now that I did it!

BTW I have 2 more of these "small" Sat Radio kits if anyone would like to buy them. They both are unopened, in the sealed box (rec's all Sirius & XM channels as they have merged over the air). This kit includes everything you need (head unit, power cords, antenna) for system to work. The "newer" head units coming on the market are larger and will not fit the AM ash tray and would take up more (2X) room in glove box. PM me if interested - will sell at my cost.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
rdennis is on a distinguished road
What was the JL Audio kit - model number or other reference would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to get bluetooth / ipod / sat radio for my V8 installed using a Parrot system interfaced into my premium audio system via a module from NAV TV, but my installers can't get the NAV TV module to work properly.

So I'm wondering if this JL Audio kit you mention might be a solution. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Koooms is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rdennis
What was the JL Audio kit - model number or other reference would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to get bluetooth / ipod / sat radio for my V8 installed using a Parrot system interfaced into my premium audio system via a module from NAV TV, but my installers can't get the NAV TV module to work properly.

So I'm wondering if this JL Audio kit you mention might be a solution. Any advice is appreciated.
bump... got a model for this JL audio kit? couldn't find it on google.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Bob in Brighton has a spectacular aura aboutBob in Brighton has a spectacular aura aboutBob in Brighton has a spectacular aura about
MOST AUX -- 2007 Vantage Install

I just installed the NAVTV MOST-AUX in my 2007 Vantage. It has the Premium Audio from factory and no Navigation.

On the Driver (LHD) side of the trunk, there is spot where some other module would normally mount (maybe related to the Navigation system). But I was able to use that open connector to join into the fiber optic ring of the architecture (the orange optic pipes). Ran power lines back to the fuse box on the Passenger Side. Ran a Switch to the small recessed compartment that contains the power plug that is behind the shifter.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5021.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	444442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5020.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	444448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5016.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	444449  
Old 03-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Bob in Brighton has a spectacular aura aboutBob in Brighton has a spectacular aura aboutBob in Brighton has a spectacular aura about
MOST AUX -- 2007 Vantage Install (more)

Forgot to mention that I also included a Bluetooth dongle so I don't have to have any aux cables running to the interior. Keeps it clean.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
welcome to the forum, great first post lol

Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Bob, great post. You are correct that spot in the upper left trunk is where the NAV DVD player would sit. If you managed to pick up the fiber optic loop there... why did you need to take the center console apart? I'd love to skip that step if I do this.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to access back of radio for AUX-In install?