Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

vantage prices soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
vantage prices soft?

Hi gentlemen (and women, if applicable),
I'm a daily lurker here, if not a daily poster, because I don't yet own a vantage. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I won't for a couple years....that said, I do monitor prices almost every day on ebay and follow this subforum quite religiously. It seems that the cars on ebay that are listed are taking a long time to find homes. There have been some 07's sub-20k miles that have been sitting under 70k for awhile. Is the market going soft on these? Is anyone finding it difficult to sell? It's odd, because despite the significant price disparity from new, a 911 C2S from the same vintage commands maybe 5k less than these cars? With the rarity of the Aston (1 in 10 911's worth apparently), shouldn't these be more depreciation-proof?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
As someone that recently purchased an 07, the ones on eBay each have something undesirable IMO. Some aren't colors that I would particularly look for such as blue, maroon, gold, white, etc. I also prefer one with < 10K miles. A couple have aftermarket wheels that I'm not very fond of. And others have an interior color other than Obsidian black. That being said, it's not to say that those factors I just mentioned aren't desirable for others. That's just my personal opinion.

Also, I generally don't purchase vehicles from eBay and prefer sites like Cars.com, Autotrader, AM dealer sites, and Craigslist.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
eelton is on a distinguished road
I've also noticed all the non-sales on eBay. The psychology is interesting...for instance, a certain 2007 car with aftermarket wheels has failed to get a bid with numerous relistings at $67K, and the owner has now relisted it again at $70K. Let's see how that goes.

Asking prices on Global Autosports are all over the map, and in may cases private sellers list the cars for more than Aston dealers. Of course everyone wants to sell for a good price, but it's unrealistic.

Many of the dealer prices are in the mid-70s (for 2007 cars). The one independent reference I've found is NADA, which lists an average retail of $67K, but I've felt out some dealers and they're not interested in selling for that. I guess there are a lot of cars sitting and waiting.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
I think prices are about right or a little high. It's not a great car and it's not terribly desirable.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by wedouglas
I think prices are about right or a little high. It's not a great car and it's not terribly desirable.
Troll time?

Anyway, the market is soft on all luxury cars these days, but the 4.3 has been hard hit by the intro of the 4.7 and the V12. Even still, $70s for a car that was $120k or so new 3 yrs ago is just about right.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
? what are you on about? It may not be the BEST drivers car in the world, but its exceedingly desirable.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Wedouglas, am I missing something here? What are you referring to?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
wedouglas

Sounds like you have a fair amount of experience. Do you own an Aston?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by flinder
at first I thought you were talking to me....and I was like 'no, I don't own an Aston, don't hate me!'.

But yes, I think our friend up there was just trolling for kicks. I didn't think there would be trolls on the Aston forum though!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not trolling anyone.

It's price is low for a reason. If they were so desirable, they would hold up better and there would be a lot less of them for sale given how few they actually made each year.

It's a nice looking car but the design is dated (everyone pretty much agrees,) and the performance just isn't there (everyone also pretty much agrees.) They updated them with more power etc, but 2007 was the original model IIRC, and thus isn't that great. Even the refresh is nothing amazing.

It's still a pretty car and I'd love to buy an AM, the problem is the performance is never there. Price is too high for what you get, and the interiors are in need of a refresh. I could live with the same body style as long as it could back up its looks a bit better. Heck, the DBS looks pretty damn good too, but the car is/was like $250K and was a non-performer. It's 2010. If Mercedes and Ferrari can turn out a very high-end, front engine, exotic GT, there is no reason that AM shouldn't.

Enter V12 Vantage and the One-77.

The V12 Vantage is what the V8 Vantage should have been, and the One-77 is what the next gen DB9 should be. Unfortunately they aren't.

So there you have it. The V8 Vantage, specifically 2007, neither packs the punch nor has the looks and thus isn't very desirable and that is reflected in it's price. Oh and add in that the exotic car market will never be what it was pre-recession.

Last edited by Pipper6speed; 12-22-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
maroli

wedouglas lists Dearborn, MI as his location. It is a good size town, just under 100K, plus the workday influx of Ford people, probably 15,000 more. I live in Dearborn although I wouldn't necessarily be aware of him even if he had a car.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by flinder
Nope, but because I'm a potential customer for such a car, I think that the combination of lack of experience and not wanting one are pretty good indicators for why the prices are what they are.

BTW, are you in Dearborn, MI? I'm always driving around. Black R8.

Last edited by Pipper6speed; 12-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Sorry, what do you mean the design of the car is dated? I mean, sure, your R8 (nice car, btw) looks more futuristic, but the Aston looks fresh! I mean, the v12 vantage looks very similar, and that car is selling well, so it can't be that. And aside from the Nav, which is admittedly garbage, the interior still looks good to me! But anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find an R8 under 100k now, so it's not really fair to compare it to that. I'd like a 997.1 GT3 as my next car, and although it is much faster and a better drive, it's not as desirable for an everyday proposition. I mean, if the Vantage looks dated, try parking it next to any 911 and ask a random which car looks fresher (huge porsche fan btw)

I'm not trolling anyone.

It's price is low for a reason. If they were so desirable, they would hold up better and there would be a lot less of them for sale given how few they actually made each year.

It's a nice looking car but the design is dated (everyone pretty much agrees,) and the performance just isn't there (everyone also pretty much agrees.) They updated them with more power etc, but 2007 was the original model IIRC, and thus isn't that great. Even the refresh is nothing amazing.

It's still a pretty car and I'd love to buy an AM, the problem is the performance is never there. Price is too high for what you get, and the interiors are in need of a refresh. I could live with the same body style as long as it could back up its looks a bit better. Heck, the DBS looks pretty damn good too, but the car is/was like $250K and was a non-performer. It's 2010. If Mercedes and Ferrari can turn out a very high-end, front engine, exotic GT, there is no reason that AM shouldn't.

Enter V12 Vantage and the One-77.

The V12 Vantage is what the V8 Vantage should have been, and the One-77 is what the next gen DB9 should be. Unfortunately they aren't.

So there you have it. The V8 Vantage, specifically 2007, neither packs the punch nor has the looks and thus isn't very desirable and that is reflected in it's price. Oh and add in that the exotic car market will never be what it was pre-recession.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I think the R8 is more modern looking than the Vantage, both of which lack all-out performance. These aren't cars you buy for performance, but rather powerful GT cars to enjoy the ride in.

As trollish as wedouglas' first comment seemed - obviously the market dictates the price.

The wife and I are at odds about our next car (I want a second-gen GT-R Black Edition or Vantage - she wants either a Porsche 911/Panamera or R8), and we've been watching the market as well. The Aston's price is getting low quick, whereas the R8 is holding steady.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by maroli
Sorry, what do you mean the design of the car is dated? I mean, sure, your R8 (nice car, btw) looks more futuristic, but the Aston looks fresh! I mean, the v12 vantage looks very similar, and that car is selling well, so it can't be that. And aside from the Nav, which is admittedly garbage, the interior still looks good to me! But anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find an R8 under 100k now, so it's not really fair to compare it to that. I'd like a 997.1 GT3 as my next car, and although it is much faster and a better drive, it's not as desirable for an everyday proposition. I mean, if the Vantage looks dated, try parking it next to any 911 and ask a random which car looks fresher (huge porsche fan btw)
I don't think it looks fresh at all. It's not an ugly car by any means, but the car has had the same overall look since the Vanquish 10 years ago. When I say dated, I mean that I saw the car 10 years ago. I just can't be excited about that and I don't think the mass market is either.

If enthusiasts alone supported the entire exotic market, then prices would be higher. Unfortunately 6speed can't support the entire production. I believe that the 'classic' look is not the golden ticket for AM like it is Porsche. AM needs something new. Heck, look at the LP560. IMO that was a marketing disaster for an amazing car. It was a completely new car and 10x better, yet it was still a Gallardo to a lot of people. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that they failed to upgrade a lot of Gallardo owners because they didn't see it as a new car. The look of the car is probably more important than the performance once you get to the upper echelon, and it's hard to sell a $250K body kit.

For 120K, you should either get a lot of performance, a lot of looks, or both. To me the Vantage is middle of the road in general. And that's not a good thing considering the price.

At $70-80K it's not the worst deal, but I still think you can do much better in terms of what you could get for the same price. There are better cars out there. Used Bentley, 997TT, GTR. Maybe even a Maserati GT. Probably more that I'm not thinking of too.

I'm not sure the V12 Vantage is selling that well. I suppose it's relative when you consider how few they make. It's also far more aggressive in looks and what it is. It's also $180K+. Cool car, but again, there are way better cars for $180K that are also really cool. If I could have 10 cars and money was no object I'd definitely have one, but if I had to have just one car, it wouldn't be an AM.

No offense to anyone. Buy what you like. I like AM, just not at the prices they are asking.

Last edited by Pipper6speed; 12-22-2010 at 05:42 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: vantage prices soft?