Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Comparison request: Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7 vs. Maserati GranSport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Comparison request: Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7 vs. Maserati GranSport

I currently own an '05 Maserati GranSport, but am considering a change to Aston Martin. I am most interested in how the 4.7 litre coupe might compare in power and handling to the GranSport. They seem to post similar 0-60 times, but I have no idea how they compare in regards to handling. I am also finding it difficult to locate an '09 or newer model anywhere close by to test drive. I took out an '07 for a test drive, but that was several years ago and I know a lot has changed since then. In addition, I really didn't get to spend much time with it and didn't yet own the Maserati. If anyone has owned or driven both, can you please provide some of your impressions? Please note that I am requesting a comparison to the GranSport specifically, not the base 4200 coupe.

Many thanks,

brumma

Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I haven't driven the GranSport and there's not much info for comparison, but the 4.7 Vantage is definitely faster than the newer GranTurismo (0-60 4.1 vs 4.7, 1/4 mi 12.5 vs 13.3 roughly) and handles better since the Maser weighs about 800 lbs more. not sure on the GranTurismo S.

Drive them back-to-back and see...I think you'll be happy with the Vantage. It's probably very similar to the Maser but a bit sharper and more of a sports car rather than a GT.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
I haven't driven the GranSport and there's not much info for comparison, but the 4.7 Vantage is definitely faster than the newer GranTurismo (0-60 4.1 vs 4.7, 1/4 mi 12.5 vs 13.3 roughly) and handles better since the Maser weighs about 800 lbs more. not sure on the GranTurismo S.

Drive them back-to-back and see...I think you'll be happy with the Vantage. It's probably very similar to the Maser but a bit sharper and more of a sports car rather than a GT.
Thanks for the response, Tahoe M3. The GranSport is definitely faster than the GranTurismo, a bit faster than the GTS as well. It is a very different beast than the GranTurismo, and in my opinion much more a sportscar than a GT. In addition, I believe the V8 Vantage 0-60 is 4.7 sec, the same as the GranSport. Is the 4.1 timing for the V12 Vantage perhaps? I am pretty familiar with all of the statistics, so would love to hear some real-world experiences.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
The 0-60 time was from an instrumented test on the 4.7 V8 coupe done by Motor Trend. Car and Driver got 4.3 seconds. Strangely the V12 wasn't able to match those times but I imagine it's a traction limitation off the line as I have the same problem.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/index.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
The 0-60 time was from an instrumented test on the 4.7 V8 coupe done by Motor Trend. Car and Driver got 4.3 seconds. Strangely the V12 wasn't able to match those times but I imagine it's a traction limitation off the line as I have the same problem.

That's interesting. I wonder why Aston Martin only claims 4.7 secs then?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Manufacturer ratings are generally conservative...but not always. Plus the car mags can beat on the cars to get the most out of them in ways that owners might not do, such as dropping the clutch at 5000+ rpms. Your best bet is to go drive one and see how it feels. I'm across the state from you but if you end up on this coast let me know and you can compare. Mine's not exactly stock, but you can see what the car can do anyway.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough

I think those times were with a 1 foot rollout. That knocks 3/10ths or so off the time.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Yeah, I am still suspicious about the low 4s 0-60 time. I remember one of these magazines tested the 4.3 Vantage at 4.1s. Every other tester came up with a number closer to 5s. Anyway . . .

Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Curtis is on a distinguished road
I had a 2005 Gransport and sold it for a 2006 V8V 6-speed. I had the Skyhook suspension lowered about an inch and added a Tubi exhaust. In trying to compare the two I found the Maserati very "raw". The exhaust from the tubi was undeniable Ferrari-esque and I loved the way the CC transmission slammed me back in the seat under hard acceleration. Most people did not like this about the CC transmission and opted for the software updates which "softened" the shifts but in doing so also shortened the clutch life. The only thing I didn't like was the balance of the handling. It just never felt right. In comparison I found the V8V more refined and well balanced. It's a much different ride than the Maserati. I loved both for different reasons. I had the Gransport 2 years and drove 11,000 miles and the V8V 3+years and drove 23,000. In my opinion the Maserati was probably faster in straight line acceleration but the V8V handled better. In the end, I'd say I enjoyed the V8V better.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
man, this website....you can post a thread asking someone to compare any two cars, and there's always someone who's owned or driven both. it's great!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by maroli
man, this website....you can post a thread asking someone to compare any two cars, and there's always someone who's owned or driven both. it's great!
Anyone interested in a comparison between a V8V and an MG Midget?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Manufacturer ratings are generally conservative...but not always. Plus the car mags can beat on the cars to get the most out of them in ways that owners might not do, such as dropping the clutch at 5000+ rpms. Your best bet is to go drive one and see how it feels. I'm across the state from you but if you end up on this coast let me know and you can compare. Mine's not exactly stock, but you can see what the car can do anyway.
Thanks for the offer! I just may take you up on that one of these days. What modifications have you done to the car?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Mine has a supercharger package from ESX running about 7 psi, with RSC cats, H&R springs, larger and lighter wheels, and an upgraded clutch. It makes 534 hp at the wheels or roughly (at least) 625 at the crank.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
MamoVaka is an unknown quantity at this point
I almost bought an 07 v8 vantage, but chose a 06 GS LE edition instead a few years ago..

what sold me on the maserati were
1. back seats
2. unquestionably faster (suprising as it has 4 seats and you wouldn't think it)
3. believe it or not the maserati a a true blast to drive.. and it's very fun on the track as well.. just a great exotic daily driver with 4 seats..
4. in person the gransport is a very nice looking car.. very classic and agressive.. it also has the "sport" mode exhaust change (designed by tubi) which makes the car sound like an absolute animal..

that being said.. I may.. MAY go back to aston in a year or so since I personally find the v8 vantage one of the best looking cars I have ever seen..

I use the gransport as my daily.. I also have a 360 modena so the gransport kind of gives you the ferrari feel in a more refined and comfortable (yet still beastly) package

Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
genosite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by keitheva
Anyone interested in a comparison between a V8V and an MG Midget?
I had a 1971 mg midget a couple of years back and traded it on a Ferrari. I nearly bought a Aston Martin db9 and sampled the v8 vantage a bunch. The mg is certainly more raw than any of the cars in this thread. It doesn't quite have neck snapping acceleration (0-60 in about 21-24sec), but the go cart on the freeway and utter fear of semi trucks anxiety more than makes up for it. I tried the paddle shift in the Aston, but decided real men need straight cut unsynchro'd first gears and a four speed. Plus an Aston starts without the need for a choke and it starts each time you use the emotional control unit. Hope this helps while cross shopping. Also, the midget is about the same price as the Aston martins tuneup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparison request: Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7 vs. Maserati GranSport