Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My Vantage, a shotgun, a mouse, and a trombone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
amv8indc has a spectacular aura aboutamv8indc has a spectacular aura about
My Vantage, a shotgun, a mouse, and a trombone

First of all, I love how this car looks. It is the best looking non-exotic on the road today.

Now, the Shotgun. Well J22 in, J22 out, and finally J22 in for city driving. Sounds great off the line, but very often backfires while down-shifting and more rarely when up-shifting (Sports Shift). For me the Backfiring is much more embarrassing that the Engine noise is exciting. Keep the J22 IN for city driving. I'm sure people say, "great looking car, but man that guy needs some engine work."

The mouse or the break squealing. I've read Service Bulletin SB0243v3, and have looked at the pictures, my car doesn't have this. I've even read that this SB doesn't seem to last forever. What is the fix for city driving brake squealing? The noise of the squeal isn't subtle at all, it is quite a head turner. I'm sure people say, "great looking car, but man that guy needs new breaks."

And now the trombone, which i never knew I had. I've been coming to a slow rolling stop to avoid the squealing. Just today, I thought I had head a street performer with the low trombone note as I come to a rolling stop (with no breaks applied). This happened corner to corner, and I finally put my car back into the garage. Any ideas on this new noise?

So I live in Washington DC, and I think I'll drive my car around Gallaudet University. No one there will be the wiser to any of my cars defects.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond reputeThe racerx has a reputation beyond repute
A true backfire is a serious sound, more like an M80 going off in your exhaust and would seriously have people hitting the deck especially in DC, that should be checked. If it's a burble, then that is the coolest sound going. My car burbles like crazy coasting down a hill, I love it. F1 cars of the mid 80's did an M80 sound on upshifts, it was great.

Brakes squeal - many possibilities - from glassed over pads, normal for performance cars, to wrong pads for your application.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Yeah I doubt you're really getting backfires...just the cool burbles on overrun. I love that sound. The brake issue is fixable. I got the shims and it never came back.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll try to capture an audio clip. yes, not a true backfire! I would not at all call it a normal engine burble. Let me work on trying to record the audio tomorrow.

How much did the shim job cost you?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by amv8indc; 03-17-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
My car has a little backfire when coasting on downshifts. Totally normal. In fact, since I installed the RSC exhaust it does it more. I love it! Sounds cool. BTW, do you have a SS?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Today was a nice day, so I took Fuse 22 out and took her for a spin with the top down. Backfires are not a huge issue at all. I also think the Trombone may be a trannie issue. Anyone know a good mechanics for AMs in DC? Is Tysons AM the only choice? I have to get those shims on my breaks ASAP.

Yes I have the SS.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I assumed that since Tyson's Corner, VA Aston Martin Dealer shared the same repair facility as Mercedes; that I'd have to deal with the Mercedes Service Manager. This is why I had said something bad about them prior, and I edited it out.

Today I brought my car into Tyson's Aston Martin (Zero relation to Mercedes), and they treated me very well. David Laundry (Service Manager), actually personally drove me to the metro in a new Vantage V8 with the QuickSilver Exhaust. Wow, I can see why people get this upgrade.

Now I will still stand behind NEVER recommending Tyson's Corner Mercedes Service. Go to ASC in Arlington, VA.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amv8indc
I assumed that since Tyson's Corner, VA Aston Martin Dealer shared the same repair facility as Mercedes; that I'd have to deal with the Mercedes Service Manager. This is why I had said something bad about them prior, and I edited it out.

Today I brought my car into Tyson's Aston Martin (Zero relation to Mercedes), and they treated me very well. David Laundry (Service Manager), actually personally drove me to the metro in a new Vantage V8 with the QuickSilver Exhaust. Wow, I can see why people get this upgrade.

Now I will still stand behind NEVER recommending Tyson's Corner Mercedes Service. Go to ASC in Arlington, VA.
Exhaust mod has got to be stop number 1. Such a great sound from these cars. Let me know if you are interested I would love to work with you.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
i notice the occasional gear wine whirring here and there when its not totally warmed up. almost subtle cornet/trombone sounding. assuming its the transaxle layout

Old 05-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Just an update, Tyson's AM found that the vapor management valve was dead. They replaced it, and it drives like a new car. No Backfires, no fuel smell, and the hesitation when I give it gas is minimal.

Has anyone else had this replaced? It was covered under my extended warranty.