Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Is a clear bra supposed to be this fragile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Is a clear bra supposed to be this fragile?

I was just giving my V8V a wipe down with some quick detailer and a microfiber cloth and accidentally put a scuff in the front end clear bra. I guess I accidentally caught my thumb under the cloth and scuffed it with my nail. It sort of looks like when you burnish a piece of tape too much in one spot. Anyway, are these things supposed to be that easy to damage? Is there anyway to polish it out?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
post in the detailing section

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
post in the detailing section
OK, will do. Sorry.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
no apology needed...was just a suggestion so you get the right answer

Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you may try some polish or use a heat gun to see if the scuff can be removed.

some have said that rubbing alcohol does wonders too.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM
HTP
HTP will become famous soon enough
Talk to your installer. Certain methods work for certian films only. Alchohol will destroy VentureShield where it works well on 3M. So if you are looking for advice I would recommend your installer first then be specific when you post in here... or you will get some poor information and do more damage than good.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Problem is that I don't know the installer. I bought the car pre-owned from an independent, so don't know where it was originally done.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I did find some suggestions in the detailing section, but don't know which to try because of this.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM
PeterW is on a distinguished road
Are you still looking to redo the clear bra? I had mine done at Porsche of Ft. Myers last saturday and the installer did an excellent job.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by PeterW
Are you still looking to redo the clear bra? I had mine done at Porsche of Ft. Myers last saturday and the installer did an excellent job.
Hi Peter,

I am still interested in having mine redone. It's nice to hear that they do a nice job there. (Coincidentally, I know one of the girls who works in the service department.) What areas of the car did you have done, and how much do they charge? If you don't feel comfortable discussing price in an open forum, please feel free to send me a PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by brumma
Hi Peter,

I am still interested in having mine redone. It's nice to hear that they do a nice job there. (Coincidentally, I know one of the girls who works in the service department.) What areas of the car did you have done, and how much do they charge? If you don't feel comfortable discussing price in an open forum, please feel free to send me a PM.
I got what they called the "Highway package", it covers the entire front bumper, head lights, and 2 feet up the hood. It also covers the side mirrors, A pillar, roof line and the rear fender. This is my 3rd car with the clear bra and it's the best job so far. They charged $1,000 for the work and comes with a 3 years warrenty against workmenship, defects, as well as chips and dent under the covered area.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by PeterW
I got what they called the "Highway package", it covers the entire front bumper, head lights, and 2 feet up the hood. It also covers the side mirrors, A pillar, roof line and the rear fender. This is my 3rd car with the clear bra and it's the best job so far. They charged $1,000 for the work and comes with a 3 years warrenty against workmenship, defects, as well as chips and dent under the covered area.
I assume you're not in town any longer... Is there any way I could get you to take some close-up pics showing the areas? I'd love to see how obvious the lines are. What do you mean when you say the roofline is covered? Mine seems to have the entire rear hatch covered as well as part of the rear bumper. How much of the rear fender is covered?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I assume you're not in town any longer... Is there any way I could get you to take some close-up pics showing the areas? I'd love to see how obvious the lines are. What do you mean when you say the roofline is covered? Mine seems to have the entire rear hatch covered as well as part of the rear bumper. How much of the rear fender is covered?
The lines are not obvious at all, I had to tried hard to show it on photo..
No coverage on the rear hatch and rear bumper but did have coverage in front of the rear wheel wheel where it flares out.
Here are some pictures - Roof and A-pillar covered

Front Fender

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Peter. By coincidence, I happened to find the guy who did your clear wrap. He says they do all of the wraps for the Porsche dealership (who also owns the Aston dealership in Naples). He even remembered your car and that you had purchased the highway package. I drove my car over there on Saturday for a quick estimate and got to see some of their work first-hand. Very nice! I'm having mine done in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Peter. By coincidence, I happened to find the guy who did your clear wrap. He says they do all of the wraps for the Porsche dealership (who also owns the Aston dealership in Naples). He even remembered your car and that you had purchased the highway package. I drove my car over there on Saturday for a quick estimate and got to see some of their work first-hand. Very nice! I'm having mine done in a couple of weeks.
Glad I can help, I think you will be very happy with his work.