Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Front seat removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Front seat removal

Has anyone removed the front seats on their Vantage?

It's supposed to be high 80's this weekend and want to try out the Leatherique!

Thanks

Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Hmm, have heard great things about Leatherique. Please let us know how your experience works out.

About removing the seats, why are you removing seats to apply leatherique?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CJPatel
Hmm, have heard great things about Leatherique. Please let us know how your experience works out.

About removing the seats, why are you removing seats to apply leatherique?
Leatherique makes several great products (that I have heard) including but not limited to the conditioners, cleaners and great dyes. I will remove the seats mainly for the seat dye that I will be applying to a small area on the bolster where you rub upon entrance and exit.

I will absolutly let you guys know how the process goes.

Now, has anyone removed a seat??

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I used their seat dye to apply on the bolster area. Turned out really well, but it was easy to do without removing the seat. Just used a fine paint brush to cover the area.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I used their seat dye to apply on the bolster area. Turned out really well, but it was easy to do without removing the seat. Just used a fine paint brush to cover the area.
Thanks for the heads up. Any pics, or helpful hints that you would do differently?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
I really need some of that custom color. I will look into this weekend.

Edit: The beautfile bitter chocolate is wearing at the seat bottom and bolster. I'm not that big either, only 5'8" @ 170.

Last edited by CJPatel; 04-15-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I don't remember any hardships. I just followed the instructions and it was pretty straight forward.

Initially, the painted area is a little shinier than the rest of the seat, but over time it loses some of that sheen. The smaller area that you end up painting, the better it will blend in. Just get a high quality fine paint brush and dab it in the area after you sand that area.

It's been 8 months since I've done it and the color has held very well. Previously, the dealer had the area repaired by a professional under warranty, but it wore off after 3 months.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't remember any hardships. I just followed the instructions and it was pretty straight forward.

Initially, the painted area is a little shinier than the rest of the seat, but over time it loses some of that sheen. The smaller area that you end up painting, the better it will blend in. Just get a high quality fine paint brush and dab it in the area after you sand that area.

It's been 8 months since I've done it and the color has held very well. Previously, the dealer had the area repaired by a professional under warranty, but it wore off after 3 months.

Good luck!
Thanks, I just put on the rejuvinator today and will do the cleaner tomorrow.

What is a little intense is the next step, which is sanding the seat....did you sand yours?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Yes, you have to. Without sanding, the dye won't hold. Everything you sand, you'll need to dye; so try to keep it as small as possible!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you have to. Without sanding, the dye won't hold. Everything you sand, you'll need to dye; so try to keep it as small as possible!
Not true in my experience. I've re-dyed entire interiors, small spots like seat bolsters, and even changed steering wheel colors.

Only in the most extreme cases of leather wear/condition have I ever had to sand the leather top coat. All you need is automotive lacquer thinner, used sparingly, to slightly dull the surface before using the dye.

I strongly recommend NOT using any sandpaper on relatively new leather like yours, because if you overdo it and raise the grain you are screwed. For the small area you are planning on doing, it is much better to repeat if needed then to muck around with sandpaper.

I personally have not used the Leatherique product, instead using the Color-Plus product. But they are supposedly equivalent.

Like I said, I've dyed an entire car interior (Porsche 928), several seats (partial and just bolsters) in my Jags, changed steering wheel colors from medium blue to light gray, and black to blue (Jags/928) and an entire leather chairs from black to maroon. And only on some very severe wear did I use sandpaper.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 AM
You may be right, as I have not tried it without sanding.

I was going on by what Leatherique told me. It was a while ago, but the gist of the conversation was that the dye would not take well unless the outer coat was removed.

If you call Leatherique directly, they are very helpful and willing to answer questions.

Just found this on their site:
Newer leather hides after 1992 are finished with a water based product that is very compatible to the new Leatherique dye you will be using, so prepping is easier. You’ll need to break down about 1 mil of the surface. This is important so the new leather dye can bite into the leather and look natural. Nothing is more glaring and obnoxious than leather that looks like vinyl due to heavy build up of surface colorant and improper prepping.

http://www.leatherique.org/leather_dye_how2.htm

Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice XJRS, I agree that it is better to not use sandpaper if possible. Dye can always be purchashed for cheap, a new Aston seat....not at all!

I used the rejuvinator last night and baked it in the sun all day followed by turning the seat heaters on and the heat on full.

I then used the pristine clean and wiped away.....WOW. All of the sheen I had is now gone and the seats have a brand new matte looking finish. Great stuff. It appears that my drivers seat was dyed at one time on the bolster as this process removed some of it. I have also noticed that the seats do feel softer. I did this on all surfaces (including the cup holder!)

I will try the dye tomorrow and go with less is more. I will update you guys on how it goes.