Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

When does warranty actually start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough
When does warranty actually start

Question - Found a car that has never been owned by anyone except the dealer. Dealer used for the car for marketing purposes and carfax has no owner. So question - when does the warranty actually start? The AM dealer is saying the warranty started when the car hit their showroom last year. Is that true?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gsrjc
Question - Found a car that has never been owned by anyone except the dealer. Dealer used for the car for marketing purposes and carfax has no owner. So question - when does the warranty actually start? The AM dealer is saying the warranty started when the car hit their showroom last year. Is that true?
Let me guess...gulf blue?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
gsnyc is on a distinguished road
if they owned the car they might punch it to get the money back from AM on leftover cars (which starts the warranty). if the manufacturer owned it, the warranty likely started when the car was put into use (but i don't know for certain).

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Most manufacturers do not start the warranty period until the vehicle is bought, registered and given and "In service date". I would call Scott Morgan at AM North America directly for your answer at 1-888-923-9988. If you ask three dealers this question, you're likely to get 5 different answers!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
gsrjc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AttorneyMike
Let me guess...gulf blue?
Yup... Long Island told me it started already and no one has owned the car so the expiration date is February 2013.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gsrjc
Yup... Long Island told me it started already and no one has owned the car so the expiration date is February 2013.
I heard the same story at the Charlotte dealership on a car I test drove. It is listed as used but it only has 259 miles on it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
If it doesn't have the full factory warranty, starting on the date you register the car, its a used car.

I suspect any loan for it will be considered a used car loan and the insurance company will consider it a used car.

I don't think that can vary state to state.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
If it doesn't have the full factory warranty, starting on the date you register the car, its a used car.

I suspect any loan for it will be considered a used car loan and the insurance company will consider it a used car.

I don't think that can vary state to state.
Thanks. Great info.

I got another question. So if the warranty is punched, and the car cannot be sold as new, then would people have to be obligated to pay for the gas guzzler tax, since it is technically a used car?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
gigstoy1 is on a distinguished road
Warranty does not begin until car has been titled or when they drop the card to the manufacturer to show as a sale. Is vehicle being sold with an MSO or title.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
I am not sure. I am contacting my sales rep, and he will let me know. The car is a left over 2010 vantage with the warranty punch out over a year ago.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
gigstoy1 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like MSO card has been dropped and burned so dealer could realize hus holdback check from manufacturer. Not uncommon. Warranty began date card was burned. Ni big deal especially considering you now avoid luxury tax. Nay want to see if they offer certified used car warranty. That would supercede new car warranty. And would be linger

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks gig. Turns out I will get a title instead of a MSO, and you were spot on. Thanks again. I can't believe the Internet manager at Towbin Aston Martin/Bentley/Rolls Royce is trying to sell a used car as new. I caught them red handed and they are still side stepping around the issue. Towbin should be black listed for their unscrupulousness.

Last edited by Inglorious; 07-25-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Well worth a report to the Better Business Bureau, if nothing else.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Well worth a report to the Better Business Bureau, if nothing else.
Hmm...I am seriously thinking about that. Btw, I sent you a pm.