Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Service Costs Are Ridiculous

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
CTP855 is on a distinguished road
Aston Service Costs Are Ridiculous

I'm probably stirring the pot with this post, but the cost of servicing an Aston Martin at a dealership is extremely expensive to say the least. Prior to buying my car I did alot of research, so I knew what the costs were coming in....no surprises. Nonetheless, being a former mechanic myself, I can tell you the prices are very inflated. I purchased an extended warranty with my car, so I'll bite the bullet for oil changes while its under warranty, so there is an official record with Aston Martin. Once the warranty expires, providing I still own the car, I will take it to an independant service shop at considerably less money.

Realistically, service and repairs are more expensive at any dealership, as service departments are a big source of a dealers revenue. My neighbor just had some transmission problems with her GMC Yukon that was just out of warranty. She took it to the dealer and the cost was about $3K for the fix. All cars can be expensive to service and repair, but Aston service prices are ridiculous for what one gets. Because the car is exclusive, doesn't mean owners have to get hosed for service and repairs.

Let me say, this is my point of view as a former mechanic in my younger years, and I have some idea of what it requires to service a car, and the costs associated with it. I'm interested in what the members of this very informed forum feel about service costs.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Service costs are definitely a bit on the high side. Some things like a yearly service for $1500 is stupid considering they only change the oil and "check" everything. I am ok for paying that amount as long as they change out all the fluids, and the oil change by itself costs $400!

To most of us owners of Aston Martin's $1500 services aren't going to cause us much hurt, but the fact that it is that dollar amount is so high really irriates me. Just because one can afford an inflated price for service doesn't mean they should have to pay higher prices.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Costs are very high because of the very small pool of cars to be serviced that any given dealer can draw from. You can't remotely compare any GM service department costs with those for Aston Martin (or Ferrari, Lambo, etc.). They got to recoup their overhead over a VERY small number of cars, hence the very high costs.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Brand. Brand. Brand. Cost of maintenance is relative to the price of the car.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
CTP855 is on a distinguished road
Because the car is exclusive, doesn't mean owners have to get hosed for service and repairs.

We all realize what the cost of admission is for an exotic car. And for most of us, servicing our Astons isn't going to break the bank. But, the fact that one has to pay $1500.00 for an oil change is absurd. I can understand a flat $500.00 for an oil change and inspection....but $1500, give me a break. Again, my point of view stems from being an auto mechanic at one time. I understand that owning an exotic car means paying more for service and repairs, but if they're going to charge me $1500 for an oil change, at least change all my fluids.

I have a neighbor who owns a Ferrari and I believe he paid $12000.00 for a tune-up....ouch! I suppose that bill makes my V8 Vantage look pale in comparison.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CJPatel
Service costs are definitely a bit on the high side. Some things like a yearly service for $1500 is stupid considering they only change the oil and "check" everything. I am ok for paying that amount as long as they change out all the fluids, and the oil change by itself costs $400!

To most of us owners of Aston Martin's $1500 services aren't going to cause us much hurt, but the fact that it is that dollar amount is so high really irriates me. Just because one can afford an inflated price for service doesn't mean they should have to pay higher prices.

This is why a lot of exotic/high end dealerships carry more than one brand.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I agree cost are high, but should be compared to Porsche and others. Maintenance and repair cost was one reason I bought by Aston vs. a Ferrari. If I recall an oil change service with brake flush was about $800 for my 06 Porsche 997. I only went to the dealer while in warrantee. You can not compare service cost to GM, when our cars require 1-11 guarts of $12/qt oil and take more labor for draining a dry sump etc. I would be great to compare what folks were charged for thier service:

1st service (1yr), major set of checks, oil & filter I think 5hr labor: $1,200

2nd service, Oil & filter and change pollen filters: ???

3rd, Oil & Filter, and replace Air Filter (need to pull fender liners) ???

Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM
ptaylor_9849 is on a distinguished road
Corvettes have a dry sump system that takes lots of synthetic oil but they don't charge $1500 for an oil change!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
While Aston's aren't cheap they aren't as bad as Lambo's or Ferraris - I appreciate US dealers are more spread out, but in the UK they will compete with each other to win your service business, so you can get discounts by phoning around.

Just a thought - (which I'm sure you have already considered) more and more people are also taking their own oil to the service, buying the correct spec at a car discount store and leaving it in the boot. That way you don't pay the HUGE garage mark-up, just an idea if you haven't considered it - but best check that the dealer will allow this first.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 PM
TomDB9 is on a distinguished road
I agree that AM dealer service charges are very high. I've owned my DB9 since June. I had the 12 month service done for a bit over $1800 and then had to have the rear motor mounts replaced to stop water leaking into the passenger side foot well plus a few other minor things to stop squaeks & rattles. The pricetag for this-$2000. I also agree that AM owners can typically afford the high service fees without putting us in economic peril. That said, part of how I got to the point where I could afford buying an expensive toy like a DB9 was by managing my money prudently. I knew intuitively that the dealer fees were high, I just doidn't know how high until I did some research on independent shops in Houston. I found at least 4 shops that have certified AM technicians, all the necessary modern test gear, software prgramming codes, etc. Without telling them what I had already paid for my recent service visits at Star Motors, I asked them to give me pricing on the anuual service - $600 to $800, and for the rear motor mount job - $750 to $900. I also checked with other AM owners in Houston and they confirmed that the independents are typically 50 - 60% lower than the dealer....and they do excellent work. The bottom line is I won't be seeing the dealer any time soon. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Tom,

I am also in Houston and in search of a trustworthy independent to service my Vantage. Can you please share a couple of recommendations?

I agree the local stealer is not only overpriced but also arrogant to top it off. After my last yearly service ($1500) the service manager told me that that was actually a cheap service and then showed me an invoice for service performed on a DB9. It was for over $5k (didn't look like any major work had been done to it), he grinned with pride, as if he were showing off. Seemed like a game to him, not professional at all.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
A-M Service in Northern California

I'd highly recommend Aston-Martin Marin for dealer service, they're located in Corte Madera. I was quoted $1760 for the 2-year service, but billed $1630. They have a modern fully instrumented shop. Peter (their #1 Aston Tech) oversaw the Service. This is the 2nd time I've had my Aston serviced there and both times have been given excellent service and a Jaguar as a loaner car--first time was a 2009 XK Convertible, and this time it was a 2010 XF Sedan.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Four Wheel Allignment

-Aston Martin franchised dealer quote, $440.

-Qualified Independent Repair Shop invoice, $149.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I'd highly recommend Aston-Martin Marin for dealer service, they're located in Corte Madera. I was quoted $1760 for the 2-year service, but billed $1630. They have a modern fully instrumented shop. Peter (their #1 Aston Tech) oversaw the Service. This is the 2nd time I've had my Aston serviced there and both times have been given excellent service and a Jaguar as a loaner car--first time was a 2009 XK Convertible, and this time it was a 2010 XF Sedan.
Ditto that. Today they gave me a 2011 XJL.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
African Bambata is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Corvettes have a dry sump system that takes lots of synthetic oil but they don't charge $1500 for an oil change!

Very true.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Service Costs Are Ridiculous