Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pre-owned DBS vs. Virage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Pre-owned DBS vs. Virage

I should be able to pick up a car this spring. My dealer believes that I should pick up a new Virage over a pre-owned DBS. I'm sure he will make more on the new car vs. the pre-owned.

Which would you choose as a Grand Tourer - a new Virage or a pre-owned DBS? I need a 2+2 and would like the TT2 transmission.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I'd go with DBS personally, but I lean toward the performance side of things as opposed to the touring side. You need to decide what kind of car you prefer. If it makes a difference, you'll take a bit hit on depreciation on the new Virage vs. the used DBS.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I think the DBS is much better looking. I really don't like the Virage, esp the new lights with the angry bird look, the exagerated front bumper and side skirt flares, the cheesy hood vents, and the rear area surrounding the exhaust.

It would be either the used DBS, or if going the new route, the DB9.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
I agree completely - I think the DBS is the far more beautiful car. I was trying to weigh some of the newer features of the Virage against the DBS.

Is the nav system really as useless as reported in the pre-Virage cars?

Last edited by Dr. G; 09-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
+1 on DBS.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
It's been a long time since I posted, but I have been lurking for a while.
I originally looked at acquiring a v8v and sending it across the pond to BR, but decided in the end that what I really wanted was a v12.

I looked at the 9, DBS and Virage. Settled on the Virage. I could afford all 3, but it came down to a couple of issues:

• Really, is there a difference between 184 and 192 mph?
  • This will be used on the street, not in competition.
  • The Virage has an interior that, from a standpoint of uniqueness, offers a bespoke opportunity that the DBS does not.
  • Despite what the automotive press think, there are substantial differences between the DB9/DBS and the Virage. It is not just the single headlight. This car stands alone.
  • The sportiness of the DBS and the sport/GT qualities of the DB9: it is better than both (and it IS a sports car with a 2+2) separately. And it has the Dynamic Suspension of the Rapide.
  • Even used, the DBS will cost more than the Virage.
Make no mistake, there are still things that can be modified to any v12 that AM makes, and my buddy across the pond will be taking a whack at the car. But the car won't be sent across the pond. Stay tuned (and those of you who are curious as to what that means are welcome to PM me)........

Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
rynacd is on a distinguished road
i would take the used DBS.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=CRVETR;3320374]
I looked at the 9, DBS and Virage. Settled on the Virage. I could afford all 3, but it came down to a couple of issues:

• Really, is there a difference between 184 and 192 mph?
Of course not, that is irrelevant to choosing between cars.
  • This will be used on the street, not in competition.
Are you saying that the DBS is a competition car and the Virage isn't? All the reviews state that the DBS is a better street car than the DB9, so it is hardly a competition car.
  • The Virage has an interior that, from a standpoint of uniqueness, offers a bespoke opportunity that the DBS does not.
What can you get bespoke-wise on the Virage that you can't get on the DBS interior? Now used vs new I would agree, but anything that's available on Virage can be gotten on the DBS.
  • Despite what the automotive press think, there are substantial differences between the DB9/DBS and the Virage. It is not just the single headlight. This car stands alone.
They each stand alone since they each have a unique set of features wrapped around the same chassis.
  • The sportiness of the DBS and the sport/GT qualities of the DB9: it is better than both (and it IS a sports car with a 2+2) separately. And it has the Dynamic Suspension of the Rapide.
The DBS can be had as a 2+2, and it is no less a GT than the Virage. And it also has Dynamic Suspension.
  • Even used, the DBS will cost more than the Virage.
I really don't understand this point, since you can have a used DBS for under $175K. Can you get a new Virage for this?

quote]

Old 09-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I agree completely - I think the DBS is the far more beautiful car. I was trying to weigh some of the newer features of the Virage against the DBS.

Is the nav system really as useless as reported in the pre-Virage cars?
I really don't use the nav, so for me an improved nav is kinda' immaterial. I understand that the new nav isn't all that great compared to the latest/greatest stuff in Japanese cars. So to base your decision on nav seems kinda' pointless...they'll all be obsolete sooner than later any way.

Isn't that the only real new feature in a Virage?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM
AMG3.2 is on a distinguished road
Dbs...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I've heard the Virage interior is nicer than the older interior. For instance, some of the plastic buttons have been replaced with alloy, etc. Still, this would not be a big factor for me b/c I think the old interior is pretty nice.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 AM
donahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of lightdonahdi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I should be able to pick up a car this spring. My dealer believes that I should pick up a new Virage over a pre-owned DBS. I'm sure he will make more on the new car vs. the pre-owned.

Which would you choose as a Grand Tourer - a new Virage or a pre-owned DBS? I need a 2+2 and would like the TT2 transmission.

I would give my input but I'm sure you see I would be biased. The only thing I would add to what everyone is saying is one thing if it has any importance to you or afterwards, when you sell it. I have a feeling that the car is on the verge of a facelift, nothing official, but It might change some of the looks any time soon, next year, or the year after.. I personally, Love the DBS (obviously) but would think twice before buying it now and next year it gets some changes.. if that doesn't bother you, then I assure you, the DBS is a great GT, and mine is 2+2..

Regards.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
DBS all the way

Status is important...more important in your business, doctoring, than in mine, retired.

Virage to me seems the AM attempt to grab a share of the Lambo, Maserati and Ferrari market. Its trying to say, "I'm current, I'm not as old as you think I am". The bright, flashy, new model introduction color confirms this attempt. Virage, the younger, 2.0 version of the DB9

DBS to me is classy, mature, as far upimage as a motor car can be. If you want positive feedback and positive reinforcement to your Dr. title DBS is for you.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I would imagine a back-to-back test drive should answer some questions. They are both beautiful cars and either will be attention getting. Depreciation on the V will be double the DBS over a 3 year period.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
A harsh reality is that the Virage will probably depreciate faster than the DBS. So the current value is relative. In 6 months the DBS will not change much in value while the Virage will definitely fall. Having said that, I do like the updated look of the Virage but is still not as handsome as a DBS. The interior of the Virage is very cool but no real loss with the DBS. So frankly, to me the DBS at equal or similar cost seems like the clear choice/ Unless you want to wait to get a used Virage in a couple of months that will no doubt come down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre-owned DBS vs. Virage