Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Cats Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CJPatel
I heard the Tubi is loud, Chirag has the Tubi and he says its a bit loud. I can only imagine with the cats it being too much.

Yeah the QS has to be really understood to get the best sound out of it. Its sometimes disappointing, but a lot of the times it simples makes me giggle like a little school girl. Cannot wait for the combo.

Thanks for the input. Post some videos of the combination. Also, can you post your before and whenever you do after, your after as well? I wish I knew places where I can get all this done. I'm sure theres tons of places, but just dont know which shops to turn to. I will certianly try to do before and afters myself, which might be what everyones looking since I'm already modded.
Thanks for doing the before/after dynos CJ. Most did dynos after all mods and noted increased throttle response/etc.

I know of only one before/after dyno on the 200 cell CATs was told they decreased HP slightly.

I have brought this up numerous times (I would buy if I saw results), but it keeps falling on deaf ears.

Last edited by DetomasoGTS74; 10-12-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I know of only one before/after dyno on the 200 cell CATs was told they decreased HP slightly.
Was that anything to do with Star Motorcars?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Reducing HP is kind of hard to believe, I'd have to shift more towards increased horsepower and maybe if any slightly decreased torque becasue of the reduced back-pressure..never heard of any high-flow catalyst reducing HP from a Before and After dyno on any brand

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Was that anything to do with Star Motorcars?

Yes, one of the Star locations.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
OK boys, heres an update:

I received my cats last week, they were in a pretty battered box. I haven't had a chance to open them, and inspect them, but I will on Friday. If all is well, I will be installing the cats sometime late next week or early the following week after that.

Maybe I might be able to get in on Monday, we'll see.

As far as the before and after dynos....... wait for it..... wait for it..... I will be doing the before and after dyno by the shop that installs my Cats. Lets all hope for a nice bump in power, I will post my results regardless of what the outcome.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by irish07
Reducing HP is kind of hard to believe, I'd have to shift more towards increased horsepower and maybe if any slightly decreased torque becasue of the reduced back-pressure..never heard of any high-flow catalyst reducing HP from a Before and After dyno on any brand
Irish-

I am sure that there are quality levels, even in cats. Is there a case to be made that designs/construction quality might affect the hp/torque scale? I have to assume that the quality of construction would dictate differences, in the same vein that any consumer product would, and might account for +/- hp and torque variances; one company might show an increase in both, and another would show hp but lower torque.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CRVETR
Irish-

I am sure that there are quality levels, even in cats. Is there a case to be made that designs/construction quality might affect the hp/torque scale? I have to assume that the quality of construction would dictate differences, in the same vein that any consumer product would, and might account for +/- hp and torque variances; one company might show an increase in both, and another would show hp but lower torque.
Well anything in this world is possible..the engine is a giant air pump, the faster th air can come in and the faster it can come out is the change in horsepower, the less destorated entry of air and the less destorted exit of air is the change or torque...so if you put a 200 cell cat you increasing the flow and destorting the air flow on exit..aka noise destortion..by doing this in this situation you will most prob see a nice increase in horsepower and either same or close to previous torque or at times a decrease..

Really your on the right track and this takes a lot of variables to count..like what type of headers are they and will they perform better with a 200 cell cat..V8V's have a a mid length header..there longer than the normal shorty and shorter than the usual long length..I believe the real difference between these manufactures of these cats will be the size of piping rather than the cat cell(a high flowing cat cell amount is the same on all, that's if the manufacture whats to make a cat for OBDII vehicles)..so my conclusion(just looking at number on paper and not stuff like contrsuction..so contruction would be the same on figures), would be larger piping will net more HP and no real change in TQ, the small piping(same as OEM on entry and exit) will net more torque and some rise in HP..

If this vehicle was forced induction..theory would be slightly different..

Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Irish-

Once you switch over from OEM style cats to the metal matrix high flow units, it really comes down to the quality and also quantity of the catalytic materials themselves - the coating that is on the cellular matrices. If you are using a high quality, high gsm loading, you can then reduce the cell count, resulting in better airflow (and less head buildup.) For example, on the V8, the stock cats are actually a 600 cell primary and 400 cell secondary with an O2 sandwiched in between. If you use a high quality/quantity catalyst material you can go as low as a 200 cell count matrix and still run within the system's 'normal' parameters.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Once you switch over from OEM style cats to the metal matrix high flow units, it really comes down to the quality and also quantity of the catalytic materials themselves - the coating that is on the cellular matrices. If you are using a high quality, high gsm loading, you can then reduce the cell count, resulting in better airflow (and less head buildup.) For example, on the V8, the stock cats are actually a 600 cell primary and 400 cell secondary with an O2 sandwiched in between. If you use a high quality/quantity catalyst material you can go as low as a 200 cell count matrix and still run within the system's 'normal' parameters.
I should have been more precise. but that was the track that I was on: What I was looking for was a relationship between the quality of the cats themselves, and the results that various quality levels bring.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
I should have been more precise. but that was the track that I was on: What I was looking for was a relationship between the quality of the cats themselves, and the results that various quality levels bring.
That's the right track - basically, the higher the quality, the lower cell count you can get away with without triggering CEL's. (that's a little simplified but basically right)

Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by CJPatel
OK boys, heres an update:

I received my cats last week, they were in a pretty battered box. I haven't had a chance to open them, and inspect them, but I will on Friday. If all is well, I will be installing the cats sometime late next week or early the following week after that.

Maybe I might be able to get in on Monday, we'll see.

As far as the before and after dynos....... wait for it..... wait for it..... I will be doing the before and after dyno by the shop that installs my Cats. Lets all hope for a nice bump in power, I will post my results regardless of what the outcome.
CJ-
Any updates on the install and dynos?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Its a hassle for me run up the tuning shop on a weekday, so its taken me a while to get it scheduled.

I really want to get it done ASAP, I hope I'll have it done the week after next.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
$75 before $75 after

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I have Larini cats and a Milltek rear box. Love the sound despite some droning on the highway. Crackle- pops and 30 lbs of weight savings.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Today's the day. Getting the cats installed and doing before and after dynos.

****UPDATE*****
Just did 'before' dynos and max power was 338hp at the wheels and 273lb ft. torques. Done on a dynojet, and video recorded. Will scan sheets for people tonight.

Its currently +31 degrees, 82% humidity, 30.58in pressure.

Last edited by CJPatel; 12-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cats Installation