Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Cats Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Cats Installation

*******UPDATE*******

Located on Page 3 (post #39)... full write up on how the installation was, dyno sheets, rough sound clips, and comments.

So I just got a set of RSC Cats, wanted some advice on installing them. How much would be a decent estimate on hours that a shop should bill me.

Also, does anyone know anyone near Philadelphia, Delaware, South Jersey where I can have this installed.

I was told by a fellow member, installation should be easy, can anyone chime in? I have friend that is really good with installing performance parts and doing maintenance on BMW's, who has a lift and all, should I ask him first?

And finally, there has been some requests on getting the car dyno'd before and after.... Any input on this, I have never dyno'd anything before. But it would be interesting to see. How much does it cost to get a few dyno runs?

Last edited by CJPatel; 12-14-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
sweeettt...

Lets meet up with the exhausts before the cats go on!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Chirag, thanks again for pointing out the thread. But I want to meet up as well. Let me know if youre going to be in Philly at all this weekend or next. Tell you the truth its probably going to get be a while before I get this in.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
It took two hours for my cats.
If the shop is competent they shouldn't take longer.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM
RPV thanks for the heads up! Any input on increase in power/sound?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
You will feel more throttle response and the revs will go up quicker.

The noise is also a little hiegher than stock. But still sounds stock. I use to have tubi with the cats and it was to much after a while.

My personal taste was that the tubi exhaust alone sounded much better than the stock or RSC cats with stuck. But I wanted a little more performance out of the engine, that why I ended up with 200 cel cats and OEM exhaust only.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 AM
HM I'm running a QS Super Sport exhaust, with the AM PP. You think It'll decrease engine performance? Looks like you wanted more performance out of the engine so you got rid of the tubi??

Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I used to have the tubi with AM power pack and RSC cats. (very loud combo).

The only drawback by removing the tubi is weight, I don't think the mufflers add much HP.

Also another reason is because I'm thinking about adding headers.( the combination of the headers, cats and tubi will kill me lol )

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
What I mean is that if you have the quiet exhaust from QS you will be fine with the cats. The tubi is loud by itself.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I actually bought his tubi exhaust. I just got the RSC cats and Tubi exhaust installed yesterday (I also have RSC air filter). It is loud - the sound almost transforms the car from a subtle great sounding car to a beast. I like the sound, but I can see how for some it would be too much after a while.

If you dyno the car before/after the cats install I'm sure many would appreciate it. I've done two dyno days before which were each $40 for 2 pulls.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by RPVantage
I used to have the tubi with AM power pack and RSC cats. (very loud combo).

The only drawback by removing the tubi is weight, I don't think the mufflers add much HP.

Also another reason is because I'm thinking about adding headers.( the combination of the headers, cats and tubi will kill me lol )
I heard the Tubi is loud, Chirag has the Tubi and he says its a bit loud. I can only imagine with the cats it being too much.

What I mean is that if you have the quiet exhaust from QS you will be fine with the cats. The tubi is loud by itself.
Yeah the QS has to be really understood to get the best sound out of it. Its sometimes disappointing, but a lot of the times it simples makes me giggle like a little school girl. Cannot wait for the combo.

Originally Posted by kba
I actually bought his tubi exhaust. I just got the RSC cats and Tubi exhaust installed yesterday (I also have RSC air filter). It is loud - the sound almost transforms the car from a subtle great sounding car to a beast. I like the sound, but I can see how for some it would be too much after a while.

If you dyno the car before/after the cats install I'm sure many would appreciate it. I've done two dyno days before which were each $40 for 2 pulls.
Thanks for the input. Post some videos of the combination. Also, can you post your before and whenever you do after, your after as well? I wish I knew places where I can get all this done. I'm sure theres tons of places, but just dont know which shops to turn to. I will certianly try to do before and afters myself, which might be what everyones looking since I'm already modded.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
The only thing I don't like from the stock muffler is that there's no more cracks and pops on the over run.

I cant wait for your dyno results and before you do the after dyno make sure you run your car fast for a while so that the ECU learns all the changes.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I work in a shop and the catalysts are pretty easy, takes me 15-20 mins to remove the cats..Rear muffler stays in place, remove bolts from muffler to center sections and the claps to the catalyst to center section, remove 4 torx for center section hanger, pry back muffler and remove the exhaust center section, let center section hang in place while on a lift, disconenct the o2 sensor plugs, remove the 2 10mm nuts securing heat shield to bellhousing bracket and pull heat shield away, remove 4 bolts for botton section of heat shield, remove the 3 nuts per catalyst to headers..remove both cats with the heat shield as 1 piece(you might needs an extra pair of hand for this)..remove the o2's and transfer to the same side, then reverse steps...on worst day..30-45mins..with all tools out and ready to go..15-20mins

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The only thing I don't like from the stock muffler is that there's no more cracks and pops on the over run.
I'm surprised by that. When I had the cats and the stock exhaust I did have the crackles and pops on the overrun.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Compared to the tubi alone now is very quiet in the overrun. Tubi was almost alfa romeo 8C like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cats Installation