Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

do our amv8's have a jaguar engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM
meteoritesilver is on a distinguished road
do our amv8's have a jaguar engine?

Hey guys. How pure is our car? Is it a hybrid of volvo, ford and jaguar parts?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
GIYF ... from the V8 Vantage wiki:

The V8 Vantage was initially powered by a 4.3 L (4300 cc) quad-cam 32-valve V8 which produced 380 hp (280 kW) at 7,300 rpm and 302 lb·ft (409 N·m) at 5,000 rpm.However models produced after 2008 had a 4.7 litre 420 hp (313 kW) V8.[2] Though based loosely on Jaguar's AJ-V8 engine architecture, this engine was unique to Aston Martin and featured race-style dry-sump lubrication, which enabled it to be mounted low in the chassis for an improved center of gravity. The cylinder block and heads, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifolds, lubrication system, and engine management were all Aston Martin designs and the V8 engine was assembled by hand at the AM facility in Cologne, Germany, which also built the V12 engine for the DB9 and Vanquish.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 AM
meteoritesilver is on a distinguished road
thanks

Thanks. Good to know. I appreciate the response.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
the V8 is dry sumped while the v12 is not?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by meteoritesilver
Jag inspired engine block..Volvo electronics/modules..don't think I've ever seen any motorcraft parts though

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by meteoritesilver
Yes. In very much the same way as a Lambo is a hybrid of VAG parts...notwithstanding the "dry sump" of course and Aston Martin Cologne (aka Ford) assembly of the engine. LOL

There is no shame in this. All exotics need a mainstay volume manufacturer parts bin.

FF

Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XWCGT
Correct.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
dont forget the Ferarri transmission

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by XWCGT
The V8 has a scavenged sump it is not full dry in the race car sense
OP the block is derived from the jag V8 that's where it ends
As others have said many parts from Ford & Volvo also parts from common suppliers to super cars like Brembo, Recaro, Graziano and Caparo
Though IMO any Aston is greater than the sum of its parts

Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Selling worldwide, proves reliability at the extremes

A real advantage of Ford as parent, the engines met the Company's rigorous reliability standards.

Don't know them offhand (Mike at BR does), but even a nit picker would recognize the organized discipline and the product they would produce.
-as individual components at the vendor and Ford labs
-as complete assemblies in Company dyno labs
-as complete vehicles in reliability marathons
And its done in hot weather (laboratory, Arizona, Arabia) and cold (laboratory, Minnesota, Scandinavia) choking dust, etc.
With various oils and fuels
At seemingly endless cycling from naught to full power, days at full power, etc.
Reliability testing as complete vehicles on test tracks and city, suburban cycles (I see them, (Mustangs now) in our traffic, even on Sunday morning when walking the dog, prototypes, sometimes disguised with test ports and emissions hardware hanging on)

Ford, I believe, has the engine build facility contract through 2016, although Daimler Benz agreement will probably modify it.

NOBODY in his right mind wants a bespoke engine!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flinder
What I thought too. But every bit of research I do tells me that current Koenigsegg engines are totally their own. While I don't know reliability stats for their cars, I often wonder/marvel at this...if it's true.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IbisRider
What I thought too. But every bit of research I do tells me that current Koenigsegg engines are totally their own. While I don't know reliability stats for their cars, I often wonder/marvel at this...if it's true.
They do and their innovations are very impressive. However, their reliability doesn't matter near as much since no one is driving one an exorbitant amount of miles and they are maintained to a much higher degree. If you haven't seen the Drive series on YouTube about them I highly recommend it.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
A real advantage of Ford as parent, the engines met the Company's rigorous reliability standards.

Don't know them offhand (Mike at BR does), but even a nit picker would recognize the organized discipline and the product they would produce.
-as individual components at the vendor and Ford labs
-as complete assemblies in Company dyno labs
-as complete vehicles in reliability marathons
And its done in hot weather (laboratory, Arizona, Arabia) and cold (laboratory, Minnesota, Scandinavia) choking dust, etc.
With various oils and fuels
At seemingly endless cycling from naught to full power, days at full power, etc.
Reliability testing as complete vehicles on test tracks and city, suburban cycles (I see them, (Mustangs now) in our traffic, even on Sunday morning when walking the dog, prototypes, sometimes disguised with test ports and emissions hardware hanging on)

Ford, I believe, has the engine build facility contract through 2016, although Daimler Benz agreement will probably modify it.

The Aston testing and Ford testing are not done in the same place or by the same ppl...just making that clear.

Aston engine are built in a Ford building for now, but the ppl building Aston engines are full time Aston employees..they may sit in the same lunch room, but that's about it. Are testing is done in house by Aston employees and "was" done on the JLR test track, also wether climate testing done around the world. Now that the Benz contract has come into play, testing on the JLR track is off limits..which has forced Aston to build in house machines to simulate testing of winds and high speeds (test tunnel on rollers)..this has actually helped to improve fault findings of wind and vibration concerns..hehe kind of hard to hang someone out of the car at 190mph

As for a bespoke engine...why would you not want a custom build engine to suit Aston needs, I mean thats what a bespoke engine is..would you rather a production drop in crate engine that fits right in a AMG?

Hehe..you know, when Aston made word of dropping in a Jag engine into another Vantage back the days for the 2005 model, this same topic was raised up just like AMG..and now ppl don't want to switch from a expired Jag inspired engine they once hated..kinda funny

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of

... NOBODY in his right mind wants a bespoke engine!
I may not be in my right mind, but I certainly want a bespoke engine. Bespoke in the way the current one is -- started with the Jag block as a base, then modified that block to Aston-only specs, and with its own, unique/bespoke crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, cams, heads, valves, etc., etc.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Aston before Ford bought them?