Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New "to me" 09 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 PM
mark higinbotha is on a distinguished road
New "to me" 09 Vantage

I am excited to be taking delivery of a 09 Vantage, 5300 miles, Manual trans, Black/black. The Buyers Inspection revealed the AM radio didn't work which requires an entire new CD/radio unit for approx $1700. My 08 Vantage also had this problem but I caught it before the warranty expired and AM covered it. They also found the bezel around the key was loose and needs replacing for $850. These items were negotiated down in the purchase price but I now need to fix them myself. Any tips or suggestions?

PS. My 08 Vantage Sport Shift, 10 K miles, black/black is on consignment at Park Place Aston Martin in Seattle area if anyone is looking for an excellent SS coupe.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
You should be able to tackle the bezel and radio in one go. They are pretty easy. Let me know if you want step guide.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks AMFixer. I would really appreciate the help. I will be driving the car back from Dallas to Seattle Jan 13th-22nd. I can easily get by without the AM part of the sound system but I don't look forward to listening to a rattle in the key bezel for 2500 miles. Is there something I can easily do while on the road?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
I am guess that the glass piece's fell off on the bezel, that is what's "loose", this should not rattle. We stock the bezel because of this. As far as the radio goes, can you say what part of the radio system they quoted you? Just so I can give you the correct process.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I was able to speak to the technician today who did my Buyers Inspection and he confirmed the AM radio is silent and as you said the entire unit needs to be replaced. He said I may be able to tape the bezel to the piano black wood so I don't have to listen to it rattle for 2500 miles on the trip home to Seattle. Is there any other fix such as a bead of clear silicon adhesive that might do the trick? Unfortunately I am at a disadvantage since I haven't actually had the opportunity to put my eyeballs on the problem. I would like to see any info you might have on how to disassemble this part so I can get access to it.

Thanks much!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM
bazonkers is on a distinguished road
In order to access the radio for replacement, you have to remove the center console. It's the same process as installing the new shift ****. See this video for an idea how to replace the radio. It's a DB9, but once you get past the very back of the center console, it's the same process.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Thats a good video. Nice find. Pretty much the same.
But in a '09, '08 the rear center console is different. It is not as easy to remove. After that all the same.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 AM
bazonkers is on a distinguished road
Oh, that's right. Hmm. I forgot they changed between my 08 and the 09.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by bazonkers
Oh, that's right. Hmm. I forgot they changed between my 08 and the 09.
The nav screen is broke too in the video. Dont force the screen open. If your screen opens like that there is a problem. If you have a newer car '11 or '12 the new center wood veneer with the garmin screen comes out different too. I'll try and post some pictures, but waiting to get parts for a car to put back together the radio.

Still nice find......good 'ol YouTube.