Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Error code p0497 evaporative emission low purge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 AM
khalid is on a distinguished road
Error code p0497 evaporative emission low purge

hey guys

i got a check engine sign after scanning it with the obd it read ( evaporative emission system low purge flow ) i am not sure if its the valve gas cap or whats really going on the car seems to drive normally .

now this happened 10 min after i left the service center after a full service and maintenance after a complete check up on the car now the reason i mentioned this is that where i live is probably the worst AM martin service center there is time after time my car get worst after every maintenance and is a very undependable service center . my car had no codes was driving perfectly went in to service the following was done (replacement of brake pads , handbrake shoe , lube change with filters , coolant , wheel alignment camber and toe ) i was told that every thing else was great this may seem as a stupid question but could the problem i have happened as a result of negligence for fixing any of the items above ?

if not what could be the problem ?

appreciate the help

Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
What year is the car, and what is it, v8 db9? First just check the fuel cap. If it fine,erase the code to see if it comes back. If it does, it won't be right away. Then I would suspect the dmtl pump. Known fault on db9 and v8.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Yah like AMFixer stated, possible DMTL pump error. This can be purge valve, DMTL internal vent valve, or low batt voltage.
The pcm opened the purge to vent the tank pressure but did not see a change on the o2's to rectify a opened purge that was requested..aka ur fault is flagged. So the purge stuck closed, or the dmtl vent valve stuck clsoed, or the batt voltage was low and could not cycle the valve requested opened at the time needed.

I would charge the battery over night at a low charge, it's possible in servcie they just ran the batt down to low..sometimes also if the vehicle sits for a awhile..aka storage periods..the valves can stick on the first attempt and work flawless everytime after..this is really something that can only be diagnosed correctly with a smoke machine..any other way is really guessing

Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by AMFixer
What year is the car, and what is it, v8 db9? First just check the fuel cap. If it fine,erase the code to see if it comes back. If it does, it won't be right away. Then I would suspect the dmtl pump. Known fault on db9 and v8.
sorry forgot to mention its v8 vantage 2007 sport shift

Old 03-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Yah like AMFixer stated, possible DMTL pump error. This can be purge valve, DMTL internal vent valve, or low batt voltage.
The pcm opened the purge to vent the tank pressure but did not see a change on the o2's to rectify a opened purge that was requested..aka ur fault is flagged. So the purge stuck closed, or the dmtl vent valve stuck clsoed, or the batt voltage was low and could not cycle the valve requested opened at the time needed.

I would charge the battery over night at a low charge, it's possible in servcie they just ran the batt down to low..sometimes also if the vehicle sits for a awhile..aka storage periods..the valves can stick on the first attempt and work flawless everytime after..this is really something that can only be diagnosed correctly with a smoke machine..any other way is really guessing

the dealership here is dodgy it was suppose to be ready by wed when i called them they said no come tomorrow we need to reset the car when the car is off the fan is still working so they reseted the car they told me they had to disconnect the car while working because the battery won't drain then when i went to receive the car they made me wait for an hour and half and then said (we had a problem but its fixed now when u got us the car it was low on gas so thats why there is air pocket something but then we sorted it out ) drove the car for 2 min then the check engine sign showed up .

ill charge the battery at the same time ill let the car disconnected overnight to reset the car i was told so by a friend

the fuel cap seems tight wiggles a bit but only the chrome top part of the cap no smell of gasoline around it so i don't think its loose ill try the battery charging and over night disconnection and update

Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
After running our car at Portland in September we trailer-ed it back to the shop and parked it. Within the next week I went over to clean it and set it back up for the street. When I went to start it I got the Emissions Service message and accompanying CEL. I purchased a FOX code reader and got the following -

P0497 - Low Purge Flow

P0242 - Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High Resistance

P2046 - Pump Sensor High Resistance

If I am understanding correctly the P2046 is the code we are interested in. I read about a driving sequence which I think is to re-calibrate the system.

20 miles - rest
10 miles - rest
?? miles rest

I would like to try that and see if the problem is self correcting. I have cleared the codes and am waiting for the next day I can take it out. Can someone advise me on the driving cycle again?

or

If by the codes shown above I need some other course of action will you please advise.

2006 Vantage, 200 Cats, Tune, Voltage checks good - car drives great.

x-chr

Old 03-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Seems I'm on my way.

1) I took the car to the gas station and filled the tank.
2) Drove back to the shop and cleared the codes
3) Took it for a 20 mile drive - 45-60 mph
4) Parked it for 1/2 hr
5) Drove it a couple of miles
6) Parked it for 1/2 hour
7) Put it back in the shop - Three starts and CEL is still off

I am encouraged .

chr

Old 03-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
You just confirmed your fuel monitors are good and possible the catalyst monitor if you did a pull from 30-50-70 each for 1 mile, but you didn’t do a evap drive cycle. The system has a 40thou and 20thou test to pass. You need to pass the 20thou test (which is a long rest to find a tiny pin hole leak) and then do a 40thou test which is the idle and drive afterwards to verify nothing large is open. I don’t have the drive cycle on me but have posted it numerous times. It’s a ford drive cycle for evap..

Old 03-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks Irish - I'll check it out.

chr