Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM
CTP855 is on a distinguished road
Fuel Injector Cleaner

Has anyone on this forum used fuel injector cleaner in their Aston. If so, what type of fuel injector cleaner, and does it make a difference. I own an 07 V8V, that is approaching 20K on the clock. The car has been running very good, and I almost always use BP premium gasoline. I've been told that a good grade of gasoline usually eliminates the need for fuel injector cleaners.

I would appreciate any feedback from the very informed members on this forum. Thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I put a bottle of Techron in each of my cars approximately once every 3K miles.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I use BG44k in all my cars... I used BG additives including MOA at oil change intervals.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
BG is very good (especially if you do a true injector cleaner service where you pressurize directly into the fuel rails and let it burn off). A much simpler and cheaper solution is simply dumping 2 cans of seafoam into the gas tank and running the car hard for the remainder of the gas tank.

Our cars run VERY rich so carbon deposits can become an issue without cleaning of some kind.

Hope that helps

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM
CTP855 is on a distinguished road
Seafoam

I use Seafoam in the gas tanks of my other cars a few times a year. So, Seafoam is obviously alright to use?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
What is this Seafoam?? never heard of it...

Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
What is this Seafoam?? never heard of it...
Good. I thought I was the only one. Regardless, it certainly doesn't sound very high tech.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CTP855
... and I almost always use BP premium gasoline. I've been told that a good grade of gasoline usually eliminates the need for fuel injector cleaners.
You're absolutely right, if you use good fuel, which includes detergents, then you don't need anything else. Most manufacturers recommend against adding anything to the fuel.

But the other part of the question is whether you can tip in additives without damaging anything, and there are a few posters here that seem to have used it without harming the car, so the only damage is to your wallet

Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I always use Chevron 94 octane with Techron and no ethanol. I know my car doesn't have knock sensors or variable valve timing and doesn't really benefit from the higher octane (91 should do), but I've convinced myself that the extra cost for quality is worth it in the long run.

Of course that just might be the same sort of flawed logic that I used to justify buying a DB9 in the first place

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by yvr
I always use Chevron 94 octane with Techron and no ethanol. I know my car doesn't have knock sensors or variable valve timing and doesn't really benefit from the higher octane (91 should do), but I've convinced myself that the extra cost for quality is worth it in the long run.

Of course that just might be the same sort of flawed logic that I used to justify buying a DB9 in the first place
That made me laugh. Yes this whole forum is devoted to, and enabling of, all our various rationalizations. ... and thank God for that I say!

YVR so fill up across the border? Wish I had that option. I'm using the 94 octane PetroCan (and the same rationalization lol) for mine. I'm not sure whether the Ultra94 product they took over from Sunoco has ethanol or not in it. Sure is a rip off on price though compared to the US.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Seafoam is the strongest over the counter injector cleaner you can buy, way more concentrated than that STP gimmicky stuff. 1-2 cans in a take is more than enough to clean the entire fuel system. It's been around forever and has been proven effective for a very long time. When you put it in, do roughly 1-can per half tank (2 cans for full tank) and run the car hard in order to really clean out the system.

It's very effective

Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 PM
bubba is on a distinguished road
+1 on Seafoam. It's an amazingly effective product.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Naive question but how do you define the 'effectiveness' of these products? How do you measure this?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
bubba is on a distinguished road
I can say with certainty that Seafoam is the only product I've encountered that will dissolve gasoline varnish incasing carburetor jets.
It's a "go to" product for many old-school mechanics/ engine builders... probably under the radar of most modern -- "plug in a computer and swap a part" sorts.

' used to use it in my V8V at the last fill up before an oil change. However, now that I seldom drive that car and it sits for months at a time; I fill it with (ethanol free) Sunoco 260 GTX. It's a great storage fuel that wont turn to crap weeks after being exposed to a vented system.
Still...
Odds are, if you drive your car regularly and you're cycling fuel every few weeks; you probably don't need a cleaner. The detergent in the fuel is most likely effective enough.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CTP855
I use Seafoam in the gas tanks of my other cars a few times a year. So, Seafoam is obviously alright to use?
SeaFoam? Never heard of that either. Next Vanquish I get in I will have to try it? Where do you guys get it from, local or have to order it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner