Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Test Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Vantage Test Ride

My wife saw an 09 Vantage in white and loved the look if the car. Last weekend the dealer let my drive it home to show it to her and let her drive it. I liked the car but she did not. We were both concerned about how the automatic shifted gears feeling a lot like a manual with the characteristic pause of off the gas-clutch-and back on the gas.

Can you all explain the transmission? The car felt much better using the shift paddles and revving it up quite a bit. All in all it was to much of a raucous race car for her. I think she was expecting more of a Bentley GT ride.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
The SportShift (automated manual, with a clutch) isn't really meant to take the place of a true automatic and will work better with the paddles.

If you're looking for something a little less "racy" try a DB9 with a TouchTronic transmission (a true automatic with a torque converter). Still has paddles when you want to play, but "D" is smooth as you'd expect. Probably not Bentley smooth, but she can probably live with it. Oh, and you get a V12 with that too

Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yvr
The SportShift (automated manual, with a clutch) isn't really meant to take the place of a true automatic and will work better with the paddles.

If you're looking for something a little less "racy" try a DB9 with a TouchTronic transmission (a true automatic with a torque converter). Still has paddles when you want to play, but "D" is smooth as you'd expect. Probably not Bentley smooth, but she can probably live with it. Oh, and you get a V12 with that too
Thanks for the quick reply. A v12 for her. As we say down here Bull C--p! I tried to get her to use the paddles and told her to rev it up to really see the motor(and hear the lovely song). She was lucky to get it up to 4500rpm. Real race driver she is.:roll eyes:

She prefers a car that is 70% luxury and no more than 30% sport. It was just the wrong car for her. We looked at the Maserati Quatroporte and was more suited to her. She has a new 2012 Audi A7 right now and I will probably leave her in that

Now I let my 17y/o daughter drive it and she loved it. I had just showed her what the car could do and she drove it pretty well. She ask why she did not get the same strong forward jerk form the transmission like I did. I had to instruct her again to rev to 7000, keep the gas on and hit the paddle. She begged for me not to take it back. Like I'm going to buy her that much car

Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
I think if your wife drives the V8V with the paddles regularly you will be replacing the clutch frequently at $5K or so a pop.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Confirmed then, wrong car for her.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
That is a newer model and dead sexy.

What niche the Vantage designed to fill? Compared to the other models what is it's intended role?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
My wife saw an 09 Vantage in white and loved the look if the car. Last weekend the dealer let my drive it home to show it to her and let her drive it. I liked the car but she did not. We were both concerned about how the automatic shifted gears feeling a lot like a manual with the characteristic pause of off the gas-clutch-and back on the gas.

Can you all explain the transmission?
Basically, it is a single-clutch manual transmission with a hydraulically actuated clutch instead of a clutch pedal. It is smoother when driven as a manual - just a slight lift of the throttle when shifting. Otherwise it would be just like shifting a manual without any throttle lift - kind of clunky and rough. The same as the Lambo e-gear or the Audi R-tronic. Unfortunately, it is not a dual-clutch transmission with near-perfect shifts.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Dr.Bill that makes sense because that is what it feels like. Not for her.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
RichKnox is on a distinguished road
Strange what a small world it is. I was on Kingston Pike and saw you leave, then saw you again on 40 going West. My wife and I were commenting how different looking the car was in white compaired to my dark blue. We also chuckled about strange paying that dealers pricing for a car, and if I'd been driving mine, pulling out next to another at the next intersection. "Yes, it be the only one in town".

Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by EAGKnox
Strange what a small world it is. I was on Kingston Pike and saw you leave, then saw you again on 40 going West. My wife and I were commenting how different looking the car was in white compaired to my dark blue. We also chuckled about strange paying that dealers pricing for a car, and if I'd been driving mine, pulling out next to another at the next intersection. "Yes, it be the only one in town".
I have been wondering about you and even asked Eric if you had bought the car. I think his response was not yet. I do so want to hear what you thought of the car. Do you like the Blue one better than the white? Was the car big enough for you? I thought the cabin space was short for me as i am 6'2".

I would not worry to much about seeing another Vantage around town to much. They do sell a lot of their cars on line and out of town.

Mehdi and Eric are not here so spill the story man. What are you driving now?

Small world for sure this is great. I am not buying the car,period, you can have both.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I have had my V8V since March, we are also a dealer, so I have the same sources they do. We are still low key in sales, building up reserves to buy and so forth, but I can already tell we are getting under the skin of some of the local big boys... Harper is even copying Cars And Coffee.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 AM
I just placed you now after that post. I had you mistaken for a man looking at a Blue Vantage at USI.

Yes I did enjoy the Cars and Coffee at your shop but it got a little hot for me to stand out on the black top and was stuck in the back. Next time I come I will get there earlier to park where I might could get out if I need to go for a ride. I drive my car quite a bit as it is not a garage queen.

I did not see any Astons, R8 or any new Ferrari or Lambo's maybe next time. BTW I drive an 07 Bentley GTC and that Vantage was just a test ride.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
My Vantage was in the shop, right behind the coffee. I did see the Bentley, we had a Super Sport there last time. The Lambo guy brought one (actually 4) of his other cars, and all three of my Ferrari customers (458, and both 430 Scud's) were out of town.
I know exactly what you mean about the V8V's identity crisis. I feel the small GT/baby supercar choices are all completely different cars. The Vantage, 911, M6, S5, R8, GT-R, Z-06, Ford GT are all in that group, yet no two are really the same. Styling, layout, powertrain, "exoticness" are all over the board. Non-enthusiast drivers (like my wife) think of them all are luxury cars, and of course, they aren't.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I think you mentioned this to me if i recall.? I met the man that owned the Lambo but he brought a 1000hp Supra that day i believe.

Please take a stab at my question from an earlier post if you will.

"What niche the Vantage designed to fill? Compared to the other models what is it's intended role?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Test Ride