Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Life after a V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CPB
Great experience with the R8. Great for . . . taking it across the country.
How's the luggage space in the R8? Can't imagine there's a lot.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Racer_X
How's the luggage space in the R8? Can't imagine there's a lot.

There's not. There is the front boot and also a parcel shelf behind the seats. It takes a little thought, but we still packed for a week without too much trouble.

There's also companies that sell luggage to conforms to the boot. Pricey.

Still, a great GT car. Very comfortable while being exceptionally sporting.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Seattle,

Congratulations on the F430. I'm curious -- was your V8V a 4.3 or a 4.7?
'08, so the 4.3. I added the RSC exhaust/air filters and was thinking of adding the tune to get it more like the 4.7. However after talking with some members and my mechanic, it seemed that most of the gains are at the higher end of the curve with the tune (factory or RSC).

Would have been happy with keeping the Vantage, but prices on the 430 are pretty good now.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I was curious due to your comment about it not being as quick as you'd like. The 4.7 is quite a bit quicker, but especially it is much torquier. Congrats on the 430 -- fantastic car.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
I have a 4.3, so maybe if I had a 4.7, the itch might not be so bad :-)

I may be adding the R8 back to the mix just given the price point, especially the v8. Although I might just be hungry for more power in a few months.

I know nothing about Ferrari's so researching the F430 and knowing what to look for should be a fun new task. Particularly with 6speeds, since they are so rare.

Seattle - any must have options you had on your list?

Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
For me (like most people), I had to like the interior/exterior color. Don't like the tan interior (a very popular Ferrari color), so that weeded out a lot of cars. The car I ended up is Grigio Silverstone with black interior, red stitching, red seat inserts, red tach, and carbon fiber. I loved the look of the car and it was super clean.

For me,there wasn't any must have options. However shields, ceramic brakes, and Daytona seats were definitely at the top of my list.

In my research, found that the headers were prone to failure, so if you can find one with replaced headers, that is a plus, as it would usually be fixed with the 2nd generation headers and new brackets.

FWIW, I talked to a lot of dealers. Ferrari of Silicon Valley and Exotic Motors Midwest were the two best I worked with.

Good luck looking! I bet some will start trickling into the market as summer starts to wind down.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 08-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
They all have their place and highs and lows. I went from 360 to 07 vantage to Challenge Stradale, to Porsche TT to GT3 to C63AMG and now back to N420. Each one had a sweet spot and each a drawback or two.
One of the differences, imo, between the AM and the Fcar is attention. Fcar gets quite a bit more and not always positive. Seems Ferrari brings out some haters (except if its older) or jealousy where the AM just brings appreciation and curiosity without the attitude.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
For me (like most people), I had to like the interior/exterior color. Don't like the tan interior (a very popular Ferrari color), so that weeded out a lot of cars. The car I ended up is Grigio Silverstone with black interior, red stitching, red seat inserts, red tach, and carbon fiber. I loved the look of the car and it was super clean.

For me,there wasn't any must have options. However shields, ceramic brakes, and Daytona seats were definitely at the top of my list.

In my research, found that the headers were prone to failure, so if you can find one with replaced headers, that is a plus, as it would usually be fixed with the 2nd generation headers and new brackets.

FWIW, I talked to a lot of dealers. Ferrari of Silicon Valley and Exotic Motors Midwest were the two best I worked with.

Good luck looking! I bet some will start trickling into the market as summer starts to wind down.
Agree with above...I have an 05 and made sure the headers were replaced. There is an 8 year factory warranty on this.

As far as options, the Shields and Daytona electric seats were a must for me. I also wanted CF upper and lower interior zone (CF steering wheel, dash, center console, etc.). Also got CF door sills. Be sure to get skid plates too.

You can't go wrong with the 430, such a blast to drive. I haven't experienced any negative comments from outsiders. Mostly "thumbs up."

Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Racer_X
As for the R8, it's a cool car, but IMO lacks the specialness of the Aston. For one thing, it's an Audi. In addition, I rarely see other Astons on the road, but I seem to see an R8 on the road every couple of weeks.
Pretty sure you see an AM much more often than an R8

Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^Haha, yours doesn't count!