Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Life after a V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 AM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
Life after a V8 Vantage

I've had my V8 vantage for almost 2 years now and I've been craving a change. Its been tough since I the vantage has been so great, but can't ignore my itch to try something new.

I'm kicking around upgrading to a V12, DBS, or F430 6sp coupe. I do love the Aston brand and it's great to have such a great mechanic in the Seattle area...but the Ferrari is tempting.

All three used can be had for about 140k -maybe a little less with some negotiation - but pretty much comparable pricing.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Any cars I should definitely add to this list?

Ruled out R8 and Gallardo.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Can I ask why you ruled out the R8, I have been looking at vantages for a while now and not really found one that I had to have, and deep down I am a little apprehensive about the reliability.

The R8 was my other choice, and what I am looking at today.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
All three choices are good ones IMO. As a V12V owner, I can tell you that I'm very happy with it. It is, of course, very similar to the V8V , but provides the additional power/torque I felt I was missing with the V8V. In short, the V12V has everything I loved about the V8V, minus the things I didn't like. I'm sure you'd be pleased, unless you're looking for a greater cosmetic change.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Can I ask why you ruled out the R8, I have been looking at vantages for a while now and not really found one that I had to have, and deep down I am a little apprehensive about the reliability.

The R8 was my other choice, and what I am looking at today.
If you're interested in a V12V, I wouldn't be too worried about reliability. I think Aston got all of the niggles of the Vantage sorted by the time they started producing the V12V. Mine has been without fault.

As for the R8, it's a cool car, but IMO lacks the specialness of the Aston. For one thing, it's an Audi. In addition, I rarely see other Astons on the road, but I seem to see an R8 on the road every couple of weeks.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
I am primarily interested in the V8. We don't have the roads or the open traffic for a V12V. I have two good friends who bought DP9's that both were lemoned in the first year which is really what pulled me away from the brand for a while.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Racer is spot on. I spoke with the Aston mechanic up here and the reliability has improved significantly from 06. By no means are they bulletproof or Hondas, but I had mine for two years and not one problem. I'm told the problems largely come from not driving them, but that might be too much of a generalization.

As for the R8, I agree with Racers comments there as well. But I also have two audis in the garage already (S4 and Q7).

Have you guys driven the DBS or F430?

Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I rented 430 spider in France a couple of year ago and thought it was fantastic. I recall that it accelerated blisteringly fast, and handled like it was on rails. That experience is one reason I'm considering adding a Scuderia to the mix.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Patrick B is on a distinguished road
If you've already done the Aston Martin thing, I might be tempted to go the Ferrari route.

My thoughts are that the DBS would feel almost the same, albeit with greater power than your Vantage. And the V12V would feel almost like the same car, again, with greater power. I think the Ferrari would feel distinctly different (to start with, the F430 would sound different than the V8V), and is visually more distinctive.

As to the Audi R8, I'm not a huge fan of them either. They seem to be extremely competent around a track, and I would assume on the street they're quite livable (only driven them on the track...so no idea how well they do on day to day basis). But they've struck me as a little mundane....like a car that is so competent and controlled that much of the thrill has been taken out of the equation.

I do admit to having a notion towards an Aventador when (or if!) I get tired of the V8V. It's the one Lamborghini that I've actually been interested in.

Patrick

Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
I went from a V8 N400 Vantage to a 430 Spider. I love the AM brand but the 430 is on a completely different level compared to the Vantage. The handling, power, and overall driver's feel of the 430 is really second to none (other than it's succssor the 458).
So if you are looking for a visceral driver's car than the 430 will excite you in more ways than one.
Cosmetically and craftsmanship still goes to Aston. It is such a beautiful car that I am searching now for a DBS. I really felt the V8V was quite underpowered. I would only get a V12 Aston at this point.
However, you have to try Ferrari once in your life....it won't disappoint.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I just recently traded in my Vantage for a 430.

The Vantage was a great car- very reliable and a beauty to look at. As Plastique said, I just felt it was underpowered. I did think about a DBS, Lambo, R8. All of these cars are great, but I knew what I really wanted. The prancing horse, for me, was always the ultimate dream car.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Seattle_sun, did you buy the car locally? Figure test drives are so tough around here. And if I go 6sp, prolly have to ship here....

Also, starting to think I should add the v10 r8 to my consideration set.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
No, I did not buy locally. Just did the internet thing to find one I liked.

I have had 6 sp forever, but I went with F1 with the 430. Figured the paddles were part of the modern Ferrari experience

I remember seeing a sweet 6 sp in black for a decent price. I think it was at one of the Ferrari dealers in Cali.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 AM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Having owned both a V12V and a V10 R8, I can say you'd love both of them. Great experience with the R8. Great for the track or taking it across the country.

Just drove an R8 GT and loved it. almost bought it.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
Subscribed,..since I'm facing the exact same "dilemma" and choices

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Seattle,

Congratulations on the F430. I'm curious -- was your V8V a 4.3 or a 4.7?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Life after a V8 Vantage