Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

CNET reviewer bashes the V8 Vantage Roadster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Alwin is on a distinguished road
CNET reviewer bashes the V8 Vantage Roadster

This is an older video (May 2012) but it's suddenly appearing everywhere (I think because of a recent link on Reddit):

CNET Car Tech: James Bond would never drive this Aston Martin Vantage:

I must admit it got my blood boiling... so to get it off my chest I wrote this little review of his review :-)
http://www.aston-martin.com/2012/08/...tage-roadster/

What do you think? Valid points or bashing for the sake of bashing?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alwin
CNET is a technology website, so they're reviewing the car primarily from that standpoint. I don't think they're wrong to criticize the tech in the car, which is behind that of most competitors.

As for the other points...I have a manual transmission, so I'm just going by what I've read, but many have criticized the Sportshift. (I believe the reviewer got it wrong, referring to it as dual clutch.) He does at least say the car handles well!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone seek out an Aston Martin for the techie stuff? Sorry, CNET, wrong audience.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Many valid points are made with respect to the outdated tech in the car. And the speedo is ridiculous because the important speed range is all crammed into the bottom of the dial making it virtually useless, making it a requirement (rather than an option) to use the digital readout.

The transmission has been panned by many, ergo the SS2 version. Based on what I've read, I'd never have an SS1; it'd have to be a conventional manual or a real automatic (TT2) if there was one offered.

But, bottom line, the Aston is not bought for most of these features (or lack of features), it is bought because it is beautiful, iconic, handmade and rare. People that want the latest in tech buy something else, whereas people who buy Astons don't really care all that much about that aspect of car design.

From a CNET perspective, the review is probably spot on. From an auto enthusiast's perspective, it isn't.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Alwin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
And the speedo is ridiculous because the important speed range is all crammed into the bottom of the dial making it virtually useless, making it a requirement (rather than an option) to use the digital readout.
But isn't that true for every car with a high top speed? My 458 has the same problem. Don't see how that could be solved. (apart from going non-linear)
I just never look at the analog speedo.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
vonFerro is on a distinguished road
BT shouldn;t need to be an option I agree. If you have the bluetooth prep in why the heck would you leave it as an option. You end up with useless buttons. My ride wasn't ordered with BT unfortunately and I've yet to find an integrated solution that can interface with the buttons, let alone actually work reliably (iPhone 4 + Dension 500 w/ BT = epic fail).

I haven't seen the Garmin interface yet but personally although the Volvo GPS is dated, I'm fine with it. And the odd quirks like well... it at times thinking im driving backward on the highway, are kind of . I've driven newer Benzes and their new Nav systems are pretty sweet, but honestly I can do without the extra bells considering how often I truly need the GPS Nav.

As for the gauges, I could care less personally, I only ever use the digital readouts, too distracting otherwise, I've found that on all cars.

All in all yes, the car has weak spots, but they're weak spots often in usually forgivable areas IMHO, as XJRS and others have stated, one gets an Aston for specific reasons. Not for techie bells and whistles usually.

And whoever said the interior is horrible needs to be smacked. This car has one of the most gorgeous interiors and dashes I've ever seen. I've found it functional as well as beautiful. Modern and minimalistic, with the smallest of intricate details that make it work. The cupholders.. that's another story lol.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
according to cnet, an accord is a better car.

that's all i have to say about that.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
But isn't that true for every car with a high top speed? My 458 has the same problem. Don't see how that could be solved. (apart from going non-linear)
I just never look at the analog speedo.
Solved by rotating the entire speedo scale clockwise so that the 40-80 range is not buried at the bottom where it is not remotely close to your line of sight. Of course, the problem with that is the tach would also have to be rotated CCW to 'match' the aesthetics.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
This was one of the most scathing reviews that I have ever seen of ANY car.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
He makes a review but I doubt he has ever driven an Aston before today by the looks of it. Complaining about not knowing exactly where you gas gauge is? Really?
Speedo is on digital read out. Look at that. If you don't know what 55 feels like at that age in any car. Apparently you have not driven for many years.

Yes things creaky, its the leather on leather because you have the seats all the way back.

Oh well. He's just pissed because he had to give it back.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:46 PM
maor is on a distinguished road
Wow, that chap does talk a lot of sense.

He is absolutely bang on with the technology being central to your product comment.

Aston do need to take a step back and just stop faffing in the parts bin and actually make something decent.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
The shots of the beautiful car seem to contradict every thing he says. He can really be taken seriously, the only cars with motors are electric. Wonder if he is still employed?

Last edited by oo7; 07-17-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Same guy doing DB9

He does a review of the DB9 with a much better result. It has a lot of the same basic things, GPS, ECU, radio ... but in this review they were fine.

Last edited by Old phart; 07-16-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: didnt want to see his face
Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
This is an older video (May 2012) but it's suddenly appearing everywhere (I think because of a recent link on Reddit):

CNET Car Tech: James Bond would never drive this Aston Martin Vantage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0yXeuqBjU

I must admit it got my blood boiling... so to get it off my chest I wrote this little review of his review :-)
http://www.aston-martin.com/2012/08/...tage-roadster/

My favorite part!!!

If the gauge is pointing halfway between F and E, what do you think it means? I just don't know.. is it half Empty or half Full- :LOL

Old 07-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
For a review of the car (not its computers) by people who know their stuff, look at the July 2015 EVO (Issue #210).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CNET reviewer bashes the V8 Vantage Roadster