Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Significant Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Leo1 is on a distinguished road
Significant Upgrade

While I await the arrival of the 2012 V8VS I have nothing better to do but to compile a list of goodies...

I am doing the wheels tires and carbon spoiler out the gate. I have been looking at exhaust or tune as well... The car clearly sounds amazing. I am sure the exhaust has been tuned accordingly.. I see some aftermarket exhaust kits available and they are not in expensive by any means.. Is their any gain in changing the muffler or cat? being that this is car is an S does it have the same exhaust as the base? would it make more sense to just swap the cats?

What are your opinions in this area?

Thank you for your help

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Don't think you'd see much power or tq gain from exhaust system upgrade.... You may find a different sound... I dunno id wait until you drive the car for a bit see how u like the exhaust note.... I think removing the 22 fuse and leave it be from there's fine, nice high pitch raspy growl on throttle and burble at idle and aggressive popping rumble when u let off the throttle! At least on the v12 astons that's what how it sounds...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Vantage S is on a distinguished road
Some useful info to help you make your mind up, seem's ther is more to come from the S. Good luck.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+here+we+go%21

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
The S's exhaust sounds amazing stock. It's significantly better than the aftermarket options I've heard and owned! I normally do the exhaust on my cars but with the Vantage S there is no need. The note is not too loud for drone and not too quiet. Have your dealer (or do it yourself) remove the bypass so the exhaust is always open. From what I've heard, pulling the fuse will throw a fault that OBDII scanners will pickup making you fail emissions.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Pulling fuse #22 (I think it is a different number for the 2012s) will not effect emissions or throw a code. All it does is prevent the vacuum pump to close the exhaust flaps from 1500-3500 rpm. This is well documented from a former Aston development engineer (Mike) at Bamford Rose. See pistonheads forum (UK based)

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by millsjq
Pulling fuse #22 (I think it is a different number for the 2012s) will not effect emissions or throw a code. All it does is prevent the vacuum pump to close the exhaust flaps from 1500-3500 rpm. This is well documented from a former Aston development engineer (Mike) at Bamford Rose. See pistonheads forum (UK based)
Perhaps it's different for the Vantage S just like it's fuse 15 instead of 22? The reason I mentioned it is because the local dealership here said it will throw an internal code and offered to bypass it for free when I brought the car in for service.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Ross I would try the bypass (fuse 22 or 15 or whatever) and see what happens you can always go back. The new dealership is Tysons is still new and pretty green, maybe they don't have the experience quite yet with this standard modification...or they just don't want any risk of liability at all with an "out of the book" procedure...even if there is none, I think bamford rose would know, those guys pretty much built the cars from the start

Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
My understanding is that a minor code is recorded to indicate that the circuit didn't respond as operable. No major diagnostic or fault. If you're going to have it out all the time the dealer will (should) recommend tying off the vacuum tubes and leaving the fuse in place so that nothing shows up on a scan.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
If you pull the fuse and you have emissions/safety..you will fail!! The fuse does only cut power to the vacuum pump for the exhaust, but it does store a "P" code which is powertrain related, guy doing the emissions test doesn't know otherwise so you fail the test..when doing a emissions test, the car should have "NO" "P" DTC's stored, not even a simple P1000..

The cheap/simple fix around this is to remove and "plug" the vacuum lines to the by-pass valves..if you do not plug the lines, the vacuum pump will be on at all times instead of just when needed to charge up the little vacuum resevoir bottle.

My opinion, don't change the exhaust..keep the S system on there, it's not the same as the base model, has been upgraded for the S model.. perfect tone and I'm sure the power is equal to any aftermarket muffler on the market for the S model

Some ppl fit a remote bypass switch to the valves versus pluging the lines or pulling the fuse. What the switch does is open the circuit from the fuse that ppl pull. This will set the "P" code stating there is a fault present, when you turn off the switch and allow the vehicle to run like built, the code will take a few drive cycles to clear on it's own..or you could get a hand held scanner and delete the code yourself, just you would need to do a P1000 drive cycle to complete all vehicle tests so that the vehicle will clear the P1000 code..if you have no emissions in your area..don't even worry about getting any codes for it will not cause any issues just by pulling the fuse

Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Leo1
While I await the arrival of the 2012 V8VS I have nothing better to do but to compile a list of goodies...

I am doing the wheels tires and carbon spoiler out the gate. I have been looking at exhaust or tune as well... The car clearly sounds amazing. I am sure the exhaust has been tuned accordingly.. I see some aftermarket exhaust kits available and they are not in expensive by any means.. Is their any gain in changing the muffler or cat? being that this is car is an S does it have the same exhaust as the base? would it make more sense to just swap the cats?

What are your opinions in this area?

Thank you for your help
Drop me a line - Stuart@RSCTuning.com or 786-325-7529, I'm looking for a customer with a 2012 in S. Florida right now for us to 'sponsor' with some product!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Leo1 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the info guys!

My buddy with the 2010 V8 base plugged his vaccum lines. Florida does not have emissions so I gues I can go either route. Good info to know about the S exhaust.

thank you for the added links also.

Stuart. I plan to take a drive south. I am not too far from you. Would love to see what you have in mind for the S and will drop you a call shortly.

Thank you!

Last edited by Leo1; 08-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Cats probably offer the best bang for the buck in terms of power and sound. Talk to Stuart.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
Perhaps it's different for the Vantage S just like it's fuse 15 instead of 22? The reason I mentioned it is because the local dealership here said it will throw an internal code and offered to bypass it for free when I brought the car in for service.
Yep it is 15 in the S mine was done from day 1 and has NEVER thrown any visible codes, I believe it does store an event that the the pump is not working but it has no consequence

Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Drop me a line - Stuart@RSCTuning.com or 786-325-7529, I'm looking for a customer with a 2012 in S. Florida right now for us to 'sponsor' with some product!
Hey Stuart! Need a customer in NC with a DB9 to "sponsor with some product"? I know someone if you do.....

Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
The cats offer the best bang for buck and will alter your exhaust note.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Significant Upgrade