Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?

Hi:

After recently selling my Porsche TT S, I am now starting my search for a Late'ish AM Vantage. Not decided whether I want a normal V8 or S. Before I decide I need to have some questions answered. I am getting older now (Just retired). And have sort of decided on a flappy paddle sportsshift model. It will be the first auto exotic I have owned.

1) Is this sports shift OK for a daily driver? Any personal experience owner review would be appreciated.

2) On 2010 + vintage cars, are there any issues I need to be aware of?

3) What are the must have options?

4) I seriously considered a V12, but for my personal use I think the V8 or V8S will be ample. I am really looking for a better ride than the V12.

Anything else you can offer as help for the Newbe Aston owner. I have settled on the Vantage as for me it is the right size. I will probably be loooking to chip it in order to get a little more horses out of it but nothing radical. My only complaint would be that it is a Shame it is not turbo out of the box, but I will not be supercharging it. So it will have to stay NA for me.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Coxy-jr is on a distinguished road
I am a dealer in California but can guide you in the right direction if you like. jcox@amofoc.com

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 AM
orlanderlv is on a distinguished road
St. Augustine, eh? For a few years I hung out there many weekends. Love the city.

I'd stay away from the sport shift. Go for the manual. Too many complaints about the SS and too many Aston Martin mechanics telling me the life span of the clutch on those is way too short.

If you're in florida and plan on being there for a long time, get a full bra. I think you shouldn't use one with orange peel (if I remember correctly). AM has their own brand version coming out next month. The guy at Towbin here in Vegas actually invented it and he'll be demo'ing it to me in a couple of weeks. Apparently many dealerships will be adding the clear bra to every car in their inventory prior to being sold. With those love bugs in Florida, the clear bra is a necessity.

Options? Upgraded (but not B&O) sound is a NECESSITY. Most cars you'll find at dealers will be nicely loaded. If you are ordering one then you'll need to sit and go over all the available options, colors and decide for yourself.

I have the v8 and love it. My dealer didnt have any v12s so I can't comment on them but the v8 was the right fit for me.

Issues with the cars? Well, unfortunately my AM has been in service multiple times since I purchased it last February. Issues from shifter needing to be completely and fully replaced to rattles in the doors needing to be taken care of as well as a couple other mechanical and electrical issues needing sorted out. However, I MUST stress that every occasion, I was taken care of and the team was nothing but professional and accommodating. I can definitely not say anything bad about my dealership and their service department. Definitely the best, most professional crew i've ever met. And I love going back just to check out the newest inventory.

Good luck with your purchase. I haven't regretted my purchase even an ounce.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I seriously considered a V12, but for my personal use I think the V8 or V8S will be ample. I am really looking for a better ride than the V12.
If the main reason you're passing on the V12V is because of ride quality, it's firm but not jarring. One thing that surprised me about moving from my '07 V8 to the V12V is that the V12V is much better with bumps in the road -- much less crashy.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
Hi:

After recently selling my Porsche TT S, I am now starting my search for a Late'ish AM Vantage. Not decided whether I want a normal V8 or S. Before I decide I need to have some questions answered. I am getting older now (Just retired). And have sort of decided on a flappy paddle sportsshift model. It will be the first auto exotic I have owned.

1) Is this sports shift OK for a daily driver? Any personal experience owner review would be appreciated.

4) I seriously considered a V12, but for my personal use I think the V8 or V8S will be ample. I am really looking for a better ride than the V12.

Anything else you can offer as help for the Newbe Aston owner. I have settled on the Vantage as for me it is the right size. I will probably be loooking to chip it in order to get a little more horses out of it but nothing radical. My only complaint would be that it is a Shame it is not turbo out of the box, but I will not be supercharging it. So it will have to stay NA for me.

Thanks
1. I prefer a manual. I test drove the SS and felt that it was a little sluggish. I also prefer the feeling of changing gears.
2. I haven't heard of any. But I have a MY2007.
3. I can't comment on the ride quality of the V12. But I'm sure there are things you can do to adjust the stiffness without compromising the suspension.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Coxy-jr
I am a dealer in California but can guide you in the right direction if you like. jcox@amofoc.com
I would love some help deciding on the spec difference between 09-12 base v8v, if u don't mind???

Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM
katyrow is on a distinguished road
Have to disagree with other poster about about SS v. standard manual, especially if it will be your daily driver. It's a joy to have the option of pressing the D button in heavy traffic. And the paddles are a blast once you learn to use them.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by katyrow
Have to disagree with other poster about about SS v. standard manual, especially if it will be your daily driver. It's a joy to have the option of pressing the D button in heavy traffic. And the paddles are a blast once you learn to use them.
It will be my DD. for me,whats the point buying one and not driving\ enjoy it as much as you can..
can you tell me more about your experience ?
Thats also why i am trying to decide which will be the best YM including looks and function for very little price difference.

Happy new year BTW

Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I'm in same boat decided on the V8V S for a bunch of different reasons. Drive all of them, it's the only way you can really narrow it down

Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
I'm in same boat decided on the V8V S for a bunch of different reasons. Drive all of them, it's the only way you can really narrow it down
why did u make that choice? if u don't mind elaborating.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 AM
katyrow is on a distinguished road
You bet. My previous four cars were manual gearbox 911s. Loved all of them. But I'm 52 years old now and using a clutch pedal was getting tiresome, especially in heavy traffic. Once you get used to using the paddles, the SS shifts like a standard manual, but without the clutch pedal. You just have to feather the throttle when you shift, like you do using a standard manual. The SS is not as fast as a double-clutch gearbox like PDK, but it is definitely faster than depressing a clutch pedal manually and shifting a stick. Similarly, in automatic mode, the SS will never shift like an automatic transmission with a torque converter, but once you drive it for a month or two using the paddles, it will be second nature to feather the throttle as the car shifts itself. I use the paddles about 95% of the time, hitting the D button only in heavy traffic or when I'm on a conference call in the car and can't give it my full attention. The option of doing that makes a world of difference to me. The car is neither as nimble nor as quick as my 911s, but it is the most satisfying car purchase I've ever made, in part due to the gearbox. Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM
You bet. My previous four cars were manual gearbox 911s. Loved all of them. But I'm 52 years old now and using a clutch pedal was getting tiresome, especially in heavy traffic. Once you get used to using the paddles, the SS shifts like a standard manual, but without the clutch pedal. You just have to feather the throttle when you shift, like you do using a standard manual. The SS is not as fast as a double-clutch gearbox like PDK, but it is definitely faster than depressing a clutch pedal manually and shifting a stick. Similarly, in automatic mode, the SS will never shift like an automatic transmission with a torque converter, but once you drive it for a month or two using the paddles, it will be second nature to feather the throttle as the car shifts itself. I use the paddles about 95% of the time, hitting the D button only in heavy traffic or when I'm on a conference call in the car and can't give it my full attention. The option of doing that makes a world of difference to me. The car is neither as nimble nor as quick as my 911s, but it is the most satisfying car purchase I've ever made, in part due to the gearbox. Hope this helps.
Thank you !

Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Hi:

Thanks
Welcome
To answer your questions

1) ASM1 on the pre MY13 cars is a bit of a pain in traffic, ASM2 on the S is a revelation and fine for town and high mileage - no creep, no need to lift on changes, no juddering, nice & fast

2) No real issues on +10 cars

3) Must haves I'd say premium audio, Sat nav (for resale ) others to taste like Sports Pack and light weigh seats

4) The V12 is a beast and a real event to drive but needs more concentration to drive. I'd highly recommend the S as a big step up from a +10 V8 with out the "vices" of the V12

Go drive all three if you can.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Aston502 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

I can second most of what's been said here. Mine is an 07 which is one of the earliest SS models (as well as roadsters). This was my first paddle shift car and I enjoy it. I'm 56, not retired and use mine as a daily driver. I have also come from a history of multiple 911s and was looking for something different. The automatic takes a little getting use to, but you get the hang of it and being a daily driver,
I' m thankful for it. The vantage is not as quick and nimble (or comfortable) as my last 996, but it is a joy to drive. I also have 40,000 miles and will be getting my first clutch replaced in a couple of weeks. I hear that's unusual. I hope this helps. If you can afford a model with the SSII, that might be worth considering.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mikey k
ASM2 on the S is a revelation and fine for town and high mileage - no creep, no need to lift on changes, no juddering, nice & fast
+1; from a V8VS owner who came from an 06' V8V 6spd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In the Market for an AM Vantage V8 or S - Some questions?