Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

trade in on my 20007 V8, ouch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
Def try selling the car on your own, take it to Carmax and SSS what they offer, worth a try.
In my experience, Carmax is a total waste of time. Their "no haggle" price means that they're screwing you with the price they offer. My ex-girlfriend and I had a Mini that we had paid around $14k for a year prior to deciding to sell. Carmax offered us $9k for the car, which was still in perfect condition. I found the offer really insulting and stormed out of there. I ended up selling it on my own using Autotrader to a private individual for $12.5k and it only took a couple of weeks. Side note: the seller paid me in cash, mainly 20s -- had a stack of cash about 5 inches thick!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Side note: the seller paid me in cash, mainly 20s -- had a stack of cash about 5 inches thick!
whoa! Must have been inspired after having just seen The Italian Job

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^It was a really odd situation. The guy didn't have the money, but wanted to snap the car up before I sold it to someone else. So, he started calling around to his friends to borrow cash. He collected the money from these friends by that afternoon and showed up with a pile of cash in a paper bag. I had a hard time counting it because it was just so surreal!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I own a high-end furniture store and a few years back we delivered $ 28,300 worth of furniture to a customer in Newark NJ (think : Sopranos). He said he'd pay by cash. So, I assumed he'd have $ 100 bills in bands. My delivery guys got there and he had it all in un-banded, unsorted 20's, 10's and 5's in paper bags. It took them three hours to count it all out.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I think you two need to get some puma track suits, a cigar and pinky ring after dealing with these cats haha...

Ps. trade in your Astons for a caddy haha

Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Coxy-jr is on a distinguished road
You should take the car to Carmax just to give you an idea of value. You dont have to sell them the car.

Most dealerships will have to sit on a car with that color until the right buyer comes along. This is probably why it was such a low offer. They need to leave themselves room and prepare to hold on to the car for a while.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
^^^ I think you two need to get some puma track suits,.........
Sunir, I do believe the correct terminology over here, Stateside, is "warm-up" whenever I say "track-suit" over here when referencing one of my son's soccer warm-ups all the natives seem to have no idea what I'm talking about!

FF

Last edited by FatFrank; 12-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
In my experience, Carmax is a total waste of time. Their "no haggle" price means that they're screwing you with the price they offer. My ex-girlfriend and I had a Mini that we had paid around $14k for a year prior to deciding to sell. Carmax offered us $9k for the car, which was still in perfect condition. I found the offer really insulting and stormed out of there. I ended up selling it on my own using Autotrader to a private individual for $12.5k and it only took a couple of weeks. Side note: the seller paid me in cash, mainly 20s -- had a stack of cash about 5 inches thick!
Sold our 2010 GT500 to a very nice chap that flew in from out of state with $40k cash in his pocket. I did feel bad for him as I collected him from Detroit airport and proceeded to get lost in a surrounding neighborhood He looked more worried than me - I'm sure he thought I'd done it on purpose and was driving him into on sort of unsavory situation

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Frank just upped the anti... We started w 12.5k and the 28.3k and now were upto 40 grand cash!

Man whoa! That guy must have been sweating bullets in the bad part of a town he's never been in getting ready to do a cash deal with someone he just met... I dunno why he didn't just tender that cash on a bank note/cashiers check or money order.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
I dunno why he didn't just tender that cash on a bank note/cashiers check or money order.
Tax evasion would be my guess

Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Frank just upped the anti... We started w 12.5k and the 28.3k and now were upto 40 grand cash!

Man whoa! That guy must have been sweating bullets in the bad part of a town he's never been in getting ready to do a cash deal with someone he just met... I dunno why he didn't just tender that cash on a bank note/cashiers check or money order.
Yeah, I think he thought it was squeaky bum time - but it all worker out in the end.

I was a little nervous myself as I'd never previously sold a car privately in the US, and was unsure about the whole process and any frauduent cashiers check risk, so cash seemed fine to me. Once I regained my sense of direction we went together to a branch of my bank and they checked, counted, and deposited it for me.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Norman75
That thought didn't really cross my mind - he seemed like a really nice, just old school cash, kind of genuine chap. I remember him really worried that he couldn't get to me fast enough before someone else bought the car, as he ad to "drive home from his beach house the next morning, get his money out of the safe at home, and then fly to me in the afternoon."

FF

Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Norman75
They get you when you register it though!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
Cashiers checks are not as safe as you think. My last purchase I used a wire transfer and that was not a good idea either. A lot of business owners take cash payments they do not declare, then use them to buy things the other business owner does not declare. Works best with add on's, not with a titled purchase though.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bluesun
Cashiers checks are not as safe as you think. My last purchase I used a wire transfer and that was not a good idea either. A lot of business owners take cash payments they do not declare, then use them to buy things the other business owner does not declare. Works best with add on's, not with a titled purchase though.
I would NEVER take a check of any kind and release the car immediately! Never! Always hold the car for 5-7 days to let the check run its course...... Give the title and bill of sale stating terms as collateral b/c if it goes south you can always file a lost title application and get a new one.

Wire is about as safe as it gets. Very hard, if not impossible to reverse a wire once it's sent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: trade in on my 20007 V8, ouch!