Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
ACEALLOYWHEEL will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by drcollie
Price was definitely a factor.

Wonder where Ace Wheel got their inspiration for this design?......lol

@drcollie, thats a nice pic and car but we did NOT copy there design we have had this wheel out for 3 years now

Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shadowhusky
Thanks Duane,

I can't wait to see the pics, make sure you get a few pics that show the offest off. I really didn't car for the way the 20" one stuck out so far on the rears. I dont mind a little more offset but that was way too much.

Did you just get the lugs from element wheels or someplace else?
Neither Ace nor Element could assist with the lugs, so I wound up digging up an old post from this forum and ordered a cheap set (zinc plated) from www.otisincla.com for $ 30 and they charged $ 20 for shipping. They are part # B-D5X2, Closed Lug Nut Hex19, M14x2x41 60 degree Zinc Pl 12M.

While not the best looking lug, I have to see if they fit well before considering an alloy one for more $$$.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Duane why did you need new lugs? oiu couldn't re-use your stock ones? Every time I get new wheels they always come with required mounting hardware, like lugs or so forth if needed to properly fit the wheel to the hub, is that not the case with the ACE wheels?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
007Vantage gave me a heads up that I would probably need aftermarket lugs and Ace Wheel confirmed it, though they don't sell them or have a direct source for them. Neither did Element Wheel. So you're pretty much on your own to source a set - but Google is your friend and that's how I arrived at Otis for the lugs.

I agree that if you REALLY want to service the high end car market, you need to have everything needed to put the wheels on the car, even if you have to charge extra for it. It shows you are professional and prepared.

New wheels should be on by Saturday.....

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Unfortunately nobody includes lugs with their wheels, also, Aston lugs are very wide in diameter and do not fit any aftermarket wheels. Most aftermarket wheels use aftermarket tuner Lugnuts in order to improve the wheels aesthetics, as big gaping holes can alter the wheels design (and integrity to some extent). One of the many headaches I learned from back when I ordered my Rennen wheels.

Luckily Aston uses Ford Truck splines (yes more ford parts bin diving). So it's relatively easy to find lugs, albeit not the best looking ones).

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ I have around 30 - 40 wheels & tires spread thu 5 current cars, everytime I ordered new wheels they came with mounting hardware (wheel bolts, lugs etc..) from several wheel makers like forgeline, CCW and others. Even before and forgeline sold to a larger wheel brand, also fikse has been among my favorites and of course bbs racing wheels.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 AM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
Thanks again Duane,

I cant wait to see the pics of the wheels installed.

Neither Ace nor Element could assist with the lugs, so I wound up digging up an old post from this forum and ordered a cheap set (zinc plated) from www.otisincla.com for $ 30 and they charged $ 20 for shipping. They are part # B-D5X2, Closed Lug Nut Hex19, M14x2x41 60 degree Zinc Pl 12M.

While not the best looking lug, I have to see if they fit well before considering an alloy one for more $$$.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Test fit in the garage this morning and photos taken with crappy iPhone camera...

I always test fit before going off to get them mounted to make sure calipers clear, bolt patterns align, lug nuts fit and offsets are good. They passed with flying colors - the rear is maybe a little more aggressive than I planned on (offset) but it may tuck in once the tire is on and the car on the ground. I tried to show the offsets as best I could in two shots, more aggressive than stock as you can see. I can confirm the stock Aston lug nuts absolutely will not work on these wheels (they are too 'fat'), the cheapie aftermarket zinc ones work fine.

My goal on these was to give the '07 an updated look without coming off the stock tire sizes in a 19" fitment. When I go into the showroom and see the new 2012's and 2013's the wheels is what makes the newer cars look more modern, and I think these ACE wheels will give it that look at a very affordable price. I learned long ago that moving to larger wheel sizes and thinner profiles compromises ride quality, so while you can get a 'cooler' look with 20" and larger, you will pay for it on every expansion joint you drive over.

So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of this wheel at the price. For $ 300 a corner, I don't know where you will find anything this nicely made that looks this good.

Tomorrow they get mounted. Stay tuned.

Last edited by drcollie; 12-20-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM
shadowhusky will become famous soon enough
The rears do look a little aggressive like you said. hopefully they do "tuck in" after it is back on the ground.. I can't wait for the final pics.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
To me, it looks too far out in the back. If that photo is accurate, I don't think mounting tires and putting the car on the ground will make it look any better.

Did you really want to move the outside face of the wheel almost an inch (23 mm) as compared to stock? Seems a tad much to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
mikes300 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Unfortunately nobody includes lugs with their wheels, also, Aston lugs are very wide in diameter and do not fit any aftermarket wheels. Most aftermarket wheels use aftermarket tuner Lugnuts in order to improve the wheels aesthetics, as big gaping holes can alter the wheels design (and integrity to some extent). One of the many headaches I learned from back when I ordered my Rennen wheels.

Luckily Aston uses Ford Truck splines (yes more ford parts bin diving). So it's relatively easy to find lugs, albeit not the best looking ones).
that's just not true, I just installed HRE wheel on my DB9, and the stock lugs fit perfectly, and IMO they look better than the ones they supplied with the wheels.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-wheels.html

Last edited by mikes300; 12-20-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
ACEALLOYWHEEL will become famous soon enough
Test fit in the garage this morning and photos taken with crappy iPhone camera...

I always test fit before going off to get them mounted to make sure calipers clear, bolt patterns align, lug nuts fit and offsets are good. They passed with flying colors - the rear is maybe a little more aggressive than I planned on (offset) but it may tuck in once the tire is on and the car on the ground. I tried to show the offsets as best I could in two shots, more aggressive than stock as you can see. I can confirm the stock Aston lug nuts absolutely will not work on these wheels (they are too 'fat'), the cheapie aftermarket zinc ones work fine.

My goal on these was to give the '07 an updated look without coming off the stock tire sizes in a 19" fitment. When I go into the showroom and see the new 2012's and 2013's the wheels is what makes the newer cars look more modern, and I think these ACE wheels will give it that look at a very affordable price. I learned long ago that moving to larger wheel sizes and thinner profiles compromises ride quality, so while you can get a 'cooler' look with 20" and larger, you will pay for it on every expansion joint you drive over.

So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of this wheel at the price. For $ 300 a corner, I don't know where you will find anything this nicely made that looks this good.

Tomorrow they get mounted. Stay tuned.

Glad everything passed with flying colors. I see your concern on the rear, but once everything is mounted it should tuck in I had the same thing happen on the ESM Vantage.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
dbp
dbp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
To me, it looks too far out in the back. If that photo is accurate, I don't think mounting tires and putting the car on the ground will make it look any better.

Did you really want to move the outside face of the wheel almost an inch (23 mm) as compared to stock? Seems a tad much to me. Hope I'm wrong.
23mm is the spacer size that H&R sells for Aston Martin fitments, and there are plenty of photos showing that with that amount of spacer the wheel does not stick out like this photos. With the suspension fully dropped as in these photos though, it makes sense that it would be sticking out more than it will be on its own weight... that's the way the suspension geometry goes. If the offset is only 23mm greater than stock, I'm sure this will look just about perfect, and be neatly tucked within the wheel well once they're on the ground.

David

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikes300
that's just not true, I just installed HRE wheel on my DB9, and the stock lugs fit perfectly, and IMO they look better than the ones they supplied with the wheels.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ew-wheels.html
HRE is the one exception, although some aston owners have reported on certain designs only either front or rear stock lugs worked.

The rest require tuner lugnuts. Remember, most wheels use Lug BOLTs not Lug Nuts, so they are provided. With aston none of them are provided. Most aftermarket wheels never provide bolts. That is an industry standard, the ones that do are super rare exception so consider yourself lucky if they do. 90%+ don't

Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
^^^ I have not had that experience at all in fact CCW and Forgeline both provided mounting hardware in those cases wheel bolts, threaded and cut for that car hub and custom wheel. Same with Kenesis, Fikse, BBS and HRE. In fact I'm shocked that this isn't the case with every wheel provider. If the car has lug bolts such as my BMW, Mercedes SL55 AMG or Porsche Turbo. I always received hardware to fit the wheels on the car, in the case of cars with studs such as my M3 CSL race car or Porsche GT2 I got threaded lugnuts which were either beveled or straight conical cut to exactly fit the seats on the holes and work perfectly with the studs on said car. I think this should be part of the package when buying wheels the hardware is a requisite item and part of the complete buyers experience, if the factory hardware is to be re-used then an option to purchase a new set of mounting hardware should be offered to the customer at point-of-sale. To do otherwise is not servicing the customer to the degree that a product provider should and takes away from the user experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ace Wheels arrived